abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Encoding help!?!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirhc

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Encoding help!?! Reply with quote

I need help from the encoding gurus out there. I'm trying to re-encode a bigger file to a smaller one. I've done it numerous times in the past but
with these files they are giving me a problem. The error that comes up in virtual dub (and all the other versions) is video decompression error. (something to that effect) When vdub gets to a certain point in the video it will produce that error, the same spot everytime. I've tried divfix to see if there were errors and there was none. Media Player, and all other players will play through the video fine. I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem and had a solution.

-sirhc-
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious what show/episode/codec it is. But not knowing that, there's always brute force --- Did you try doing it in two sections? Encode part A from the start to one frame before the error, encode part B from one frame past the error (which may be more then one frame wide) to the end. Then just use VirtualDub to append B to A, hopefully with only a frame or two chopped out. Of course this is assuming that you can actually encode something on "the other side" of the error.

(inc)
oblio

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With newer versions of virtualdub, you can do bad frame detection to get a list of corrupt frames, alternately there are old patched versions of virtualdub that can do the same thing, alternately, for this problem, you can step through the video frame by frame.

IIRC, as you are stepping through the video, if you hit a bad frame, it doesn't crash vdub, only puts up an AfxMessageBox() telling you it couldn't decompress a frame.

Anyway you do it, make a list of bad frames.

Now that you have that, go the the last bad frame, and delete it. if you have problems navigating you can use F9 and F10 to turn off the video which should sidestep the decompress process.

Once you have your edited stream, save the edits (in case of error, you may want to apply them to the source again) and recompress.

Good luck!

oblio
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ob :: definitely more elegant then my method... ;-)

Actually, for whatever reason, it's been a long time since I've seen a *bad* avi. Now, mpegs -- sometimes I think that old biker motto "Born to be Bad" applies....

(inc)
sirhc

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Trizenon episode 05, some HKsub divx 3.11 avi file. (Same problem
with some of the HK One Piece episodes. I think it has not been posted
yet. I've tried re-encoding before the bad frame and re-encoding after the
bad frame. It produced less than desirable results, missing 5 seconds of
the anime.

Using what Oblio suggested it said, 273 masked frames, 1 bad
frame and 272 frames undecodable.

It produced the same kind of results as above. But, instead the video will pause at the good frame just before the bad one, and the audio will continue. The video will resume after it has passed the corrupted area.

Looks like I'm outta luck with reencoding this file.
Thanks for all the help.
oblio

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirhc, I don't mean to imply anything, but I have all of the One Piece HK rips that were posted and had absolutely no issues with anything. What I am suggesting is that you may have a problem that is causing corruption somewhere along your download chain between your unrarring and your viewing.

For example, I had a faulty connector on a hub that caused occaisional (1 byte / 3-10MB) bit twiddling. It wasn't until I started checking MD5's on every file moving back and forth across my home network that I realized that corruption was being introduced as I moved an AVI from one computer to another (this is after I dl'ed and unrared).

This is, of course, a shot in the dark. Good luck.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblio wrote:
For example, I had a faulty connector on a hub that caused occaisional (1 byte / 3-10MB) bit twiddling. It wasn't until I started checking MD5's on every file moving back and forth across my home network that I realized that corruption was being introduced as I moved an AVI from one computer to another (this is after I dl'ed and unrared).

Oh. Crap.

I'm all scared now.

Thanks, man. You've given me nightmares. Confused
sirhc

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblio wrote:
sirhc, I don't mean to imply anything, but I have all of the One Piece HK rips that were posted and had absolutely no issues with anything. What I am suggesting is that you may have a problem that is causing corruption somewhere along your download chain between your unrarring and your viewing.

I think that's what's happening. After reading your post I went ahead and
downloaded the original .sfv. The file on my hard drive came up corrupt.
Downloaded the episode again, and encoded it through vdub and
this time I was able to reencode the whole episode.

I was wondering why no one was talking bout the freezes in One Piece. I guess it was just me.

Can anyone out there create an .sfv for one piece episodes 15-32. So, I can figure out which file I need to download. In return maybe I can help
out with a missing episode or something.

-sirhc-
ensui

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
oblio wrote:
For example, I had a faulty connector on a hub that caused occaisional (1 byte / 3-10MB) bit twiddling.
Oh. Crap.
I'm all scared now.
Thanks, man. You've given me nightmares. Confused

I had a similar problem, but I didn't figure it out until 4 years later. When I tried to copy a 200+MB file to another computer for burning (community burning machine) at my college dorm, I was bummed to find out it didn't work after I'd burned it. I dismissed it as faulty M$ Networking and tried to find file compare programs, which took forever to run across the network before burning. Then I started to get worried when I had similar corruption in my home LAN over FTP, not M$ Networking. Again, I dismissed it as packet collisions and decided to live with transferring rars over instead of entire AVIs, with SFVs as the means to checking. Only recently did I suspect my cheapo ($14 4 years ago) no-name NIC of being bad. Since I also figured I should upgrade to 100BT (sorry, no gigabit infrastructure for me), I decided to get a name brand NIC, and haven't had any corruption problems since. Of course, that's a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for, but I couldn't really afford all that much then nor did I know any better. It's a good idea to check transfers against a checksum for a certain amount of time after getting new hardware. Anyways, I'm sure you're all interested in my mediocre adventures. Rolling Eyes
oblio

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

Oh. Crap.

I'm all scared now.

Thanks, man. You've given me nightmares. :?

Haha... the worst problem I've had was a power supply that was occaisionally spiking the +3v which was causing corrupt MJPEG frames in my video capture. I had to buy an entirely new machine and start swapping things in and out one by one until I figured out what was wrong with that.

Anyway, as ensui said, the trick here is to use the SFVs to check things out when strange things start happening. The real suck with this kind of corruption is how easy it is to hide in 700M of data.

WRT the one piece SFVs, I have most of the ones you are talking about, though not the early ones (I delete the HK crap as I get replacements)... Check out here. You will have to edit the files to make the names match yours.
sirhc

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sfvs. Weird thing is they all check out fine. So, I'm
back to square one. Maybe one of the codecs is messed up. Oh
well. Again, thanks for the help, if you need a missing episode,
email me.

-sirhc-
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum