abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Linux console news clients?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fureimu

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Linux console news clients? Reply with quote

I've been unlucky enough to have to live with 56k modem (Without flat-rate, yay) this summer so downloading everything and its dog from abma/aba will be a rather big impossiblity. Luckily I have a linux machine still connected at a friends place so at least I can download stuff there and get it later. The big problem is: Are there any 'decent' news clients that one can use to grab binaries? I recall using some strange thing a few years ago, but I've been unable to find it again, as I don't even remember the name of it. I don't really care if the client supports yEnc or whatnot as it's always possible to manually ydecode them. I just don't wanna miss all the awesome posts. -_-
oblio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different clients are better at different things. For browsing messages, I prefer gnus (which is another part of the operating system named emacs). http://www.gnus.org. It also has functionality to combine parts and download/decode parts, but I really can't comment on yenc support. I haven't updated in quite a while.

As far as pulling binaries, I've heard a lot of good stuff about nget http://nget.sourceforge.net/.

Personally, I wrote my own pullers in perl which I would be happy to share, but they key off regular expressions, so if you don't know regexp's it would be of no help.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using nget for awhile now and am quite happy with it. Handles yEnc, can pull from multiple servers to fill incompletes on one or another, pretty straight forward to get started with, has 2 tiers of article matching, via subject regexp (which I use for most cases) or more complicated combinations based on other fields as well, is actively maintained, etc.

The only caveat is that it's not a good way to browse/read newsgroups, so I use pan to scan for stuff to download and draw up a list of stuff to get, then schedule it to run when I'm asleep.

-xo
fureimu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!

I ended up using nget after trying various other tools, and I'm quite happy with it. I only wish downloading headers would be faster on a 56k modem. -_-
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum