abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Masking your posts (anti-bot)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Masking your posts (anti-bot) Reply with quote

I was just wondering what people's opinions were on those bots that report piracy, and how it'd affect anime usenet traffic. That is, I see a prevalence of imdb linkage and no actual mentioning of what the title is anywhere in the subject/msg bodies anymore. Are the bots really that evil?

General replies and rants welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oblio

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some small discussion of this here http://abma.x-maru.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=150.

My take is thus:
1. Despite concerns of us programmer types, the existing bots seem to suck, and have continued to suck over the past year. Thus, simple obfuscation has proven highly effective where necessary.

2. In general, with the anime groups, obfuscation is rarely necessary. Still, sometimes posters are right to be concerned and are well within the realm of reason when they obfuscate. DMCA Letters have been sent.

3. Posters are responsible to make their posts at least reasonably discoverable, and downloaders are responsible to go to reasonable effort to discover.

In other groups this obfuscation has become ubiquitous and that is unfortunate. For anime groups, the ratio of licenced material is fairly low so the general risk is low that we will face ubiquitous obfuscation.

*shrug* I'm sure most downloaders will respect the posters choices, and each poster should assess their own risk. If I post any licensed material it will either be obfuscated or from a throw-away premium account (this has been my usenet policy since they started serving letters in AB.tv.simpsons a few months ago.
snoopynme

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's just eager puppies like A.Kent who spends probably over half of his work hours snooping around on IRC & usenet to record & report those serving/sharing/posting licensed material... Though he's said he only looks for ADV material... Totally bad PR for the company itself... I'd say, someone should start working for ADV. Fix up the company, and fire those using office hours, and sad enough, also off-work hours, to go around harassing people on the net... Wink

Though, I guess people like that may be considered as a bot... but a lonely bot that loves notoriaty.

And we wonder at the love ADV gets from anime supporters/buyers/fans... Rolling Eyes
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopynme wrote:
I'd say, someone should start working for ADV. Fix up the company, and fire those using office hours, and sad enough, also off-work hours, to go around harassing people on the net... Wink

You could have stopped with just "fire those using office hours". Fire all the execs except for a couple token front men to arrange the licensing deals, let the translators work at home, and keep only a studio for recording the voiceovers. Essentially make it a license-buying fansub group with real voice talent. Lean and trim means fat profit.
Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts, Just when I thought I was talking about something everyone would have something to say about.

Sorry, I'll read more threads next time before I foolishly start one.

Strange how ADV would be so protective of their material, considering how many animes they've ruined. Fire them all I say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orqyman wrote:
Strange how ADV would be so protective of their material, considering how many animes they've ruined

Their defensive posture may come under the heading of "We've got to do _something_ to justify that paycheck" because it sure isn't covered by there publishing prowess.

As for the rest, I, for one, won't be munging headers until it is an absolutely last resort.

(inc)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beloved avatar of 2 days is gone! Dunno how, when, why, where, but oh well.

Taking inc's stance on things has historically proven to be the right choice, and thus, I'll concur.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orqyman wrote:
My beloved avatar of 2 days is gone!

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. It got lost during an upgrade, but it's back now.

-xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum