abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Why sigs are disabled

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Why sigs are disabled Reply with quote

I've decided to disable sigs (signatures that appear at the bottom of every post you make). There are a few reasons I've chosen to do this, the major ones being that they can be used to include large remote images, whose presence takes up unnecessary amounts of screen real estate and additional bandwidth. Furthermore, since these images are remote (ie, not from this server), they are prone to cause page-load hangups if the server they reside on is unavailable. I feel this is an inconvenience for forum readers that is not offset by any benefit that image-based sigs may have.

Regrettably, the forum software used here does not have a provision to disable images in sigs only (ie disable bbcodes in signatures). If there were, I would have chosen that option. Instead, there is only the option to completely disable signatures, whether they are they contain images, bbcodes, or just text. So for those of you who have used this feature for simple text sigs, I apologize that you are affected as well.

This isn't a decision I made lightly and I do regret imposing this type of editorial control. However, I do feel strongly about this matter and have seen too many other forums become hard to read and use because of this "feature". I don't want this forum to become like them.

I also do not wish any members here to take it personally- I never mentioned my opinions on this matter before so I do not begrudge anyone for having made use of a feature that existed and was available. Likewise, I hope you can understand my reasoning for disabling the feature and find the new policy acceptable. If not, please feel free contact me with your concerns or thoughts.

-xo
Perimus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Yo! Reply with quote

I notice you did this right after I set up my DDRFreak sig image and made a few posts! Sorry if I spoiled it for everybody!

Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't think it's your fault in any way, Perimus. It's something I would've done at the onset, except that the lack of options with this forum software led me to put it off so that text sigs would be OK until the developers added such a feature.

I realize the timing seems to single you out, but it really is nothing personal. Thank you for understanding.

-xo
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat off my front. You're the imperious leader here, xo, so no need to be so apologetic about it. Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum