abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

How do you choose from the different versions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you choose your fansubbing group for a series?
I download all versions available and choose after skipping trough them
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I pick the group which I like the best (based on previous work)
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
I ask friends what they think
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
I get the first one that gets posted/I can find
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: SWong Reply with quote

Along the topic of fansub groups, the quality of those HK rips annoys the crap out of me, which is why I ***very*** rarely buy them. The fansub groups are all a fair sight better then HK rips, and the occasional grammatical error or typo or spelling mistake doesn't bother me hugely.

And so, I download whatever's posted first.

oblio wrote:

heh... I was leeching about 6-12 months before he took off. I think I started the FTP thing a few months before he left. Melchior is a poor netcop replacement (no offense)- he lacks the surliness that I had come to appreciate. ^_^

Heh, none taken! I never did try to be his replacement, thjough-- my main thing is v-spams, commercial-spam, and clueless people who don't know of the existence of the FAQ.

...I've been surly in my initial replies couple of times, but the newbies on the receiving end weren't ever happy about it, so I gave up on that. Occasionally, though, somebody replies (always by email) to my v-spam reply, and that's when I get to have fun with surly replies! ...Not that anybody else gets to see the replies, because they're on email...
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblio wrote:

I remember getting 3rd gen tapes in the early 90s with translations that would make me gouge my eyes.

Remind me of the horrible copies of KOR by Arctic back at that time Laughing

I personally find accurate translations very important. Since I can read Chinese, I try to find translated Kanji in the show and see which one convey the nuances of the words best. If they're equally good, I go for the one better encoded, i.e. no major macroblock mess during fast transitions.
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthdark wrote:

(Wow, surprised you even remember SWong..)

I think it goes without saying that if you were around when Sunny was, you remember him. Smile

Melchior wrote:
Heh, none taken! I never did try to be his replacement, thjough-- my main thing is v-spams, commercial-spam, and clueless people who don't know of the existence of the FAQ.

Well multiple people have helped fill the bill since SWong's absence. And I feel it's worked out well. Melchior, in my opinion, has been invaluable with well written, flame-free admonishments. Usually, I feel the gentle touch works more often than a slap-in-the-face. Although each have their place and noone ever did it with as much panache as SWong. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Keikai on Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue on why it won't let me vote anymore. I had no problem back on the "How often do you check ABMAR" thread. *Shrug*

I always go with HQA (or HQA+anyone else), Anime Daisuki and then Elite-Fansubs. Anime Daisuki hasn't been doing a whole lot, but basing my opinion solely on their Kanon Ep1, their translations rule. HQA and E-F are both currently covering any series I could hope to want right now (FMP, Kanon, Rah-Xephon). I think the Love Hina Episodes coming through were done by E-F too.

A little note on HQA. I've been getting anime from HQA since they first busted out onto the scene. Looking through my anime collection, so much of it has HQA tacked on in some form or another. Their videos have always been of exceptional quality. When they started doing fansubs, I almost wet myself with glee. Their releases of FMP are about 3-4 days behind everyone else, but I can wait.

Also, I almost NEVER change groups in the middle of a release. If I've got the first 4 episodes of a series done by E-F and some other group beats them to episode 5, I'll still wait. That's just me being anal, plain and simple.
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Won't let me vote. Oh well. If I've got the time/BW, I'll grab a couple of versions of the same episode from different groups and see which has the smoothest translation -- no "All your base are belong to us" please.

Other misc topics in this thread:

Heh, I remember when Sonny was a newbie. He and Bogus Name (now Ifni) came in about the same time.

NetGear is also MINIFAQ, which, errrr.... he still does (semi) automatically. I think he's on *travel* a lot now.

Off the top of my head, some others still here who were active at the begining of aba/abma in the summer of '99 are:
Musicman
Severin
RATTFINK (currently loserbuttt)
err... yours truly (current mantra: "Download less. Watch more")

And there were probably some others I'm forgetting or were primarily lurkers/leeches at that time. Certainly some like CBR Ridin, I. Wolf, No Spam R, Samhaine, Ryouga Gabriev, Scott (Epyon), etc., have been here from close to the begining.

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum