abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Summer 2002 Series

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little time this morning and watched 3 of the episode #1's that were just posted. I'm always wary of judging on such short exposure, as so many anime seem to take 3 or 4 episodes to hit stride, but I have the feeling none of these are going to do major shifts in style/atmosphere:

First I tried "G on Riders" -- another *kitchen sink* anime. Invading cat-girl aliens (maybe??) with defensive robot maid; defending earth seems to be mainly the job of the usual (eventually) *battle girl* triad. Ineffectual male, of course, with lots of nose-bleed, mainly due to the most durable pair of strawberry panties I've ever seen. Only watchable as satire, but I'm not sure how good of one it is yet. I thought the red-haired invading alien captain the most interesting character (a child of Lina Inverse?)
Preliminary grade: C-

Then onto "UFO Princess Valkyrie" -- Lots of T&A, with a *magic girl transformation*, but at least they give kind of a reason for it being necessary (but that enters into spoiler realm). I’ll watch at least one more, because the male lead’s (former?) girl-friend and her *angel* seem interesting – I’m mildly curious how they fit in.
Preliminary grade: C-

Well, after so much *Gainex Bounce* and nose-bleeds, I was about to give up, but then I tried “Witch Hunter Robin”, not necessarily a promising title. Well, I really hesitate to make too many comparisons to Cowboy Bebop off of one episode, but (major prediction) Robin and Amon will be _huge_ on the cosplay circuit. This one grabbed me more then anything I’ve seen in ’02.
Preliminary grade: A+ (I hope, I hope…) Cool

(inc)
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an open thread for posting impressions of shows debuting in the Summer 2002 season. Post as you watch 'em, help others from downloading crap or missing gems!

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further note on "Witch Hunter Robin" -- I actually sat and watched it a second time already (it _is_ that good (in my very subjective opinion)), which kind of furthered doubts I had about the subtitles, but the semi-Japanese speaker here watched it last night and said they seemed pretty accurate -- that there is just not much situational exposition and the characters tend to speak obtusely. Her main comment was about how well the episode was directed, something with which I concur. I just wish the encoder hadn’t used a *flattened* aspect ratio.

Edited to add ('cause I feel like an idiot replying to myself too much Rolling Eyes ): Just watched Rice-Basket's sub of WHR ep 02. It continued the quality of the first episode. I just hope the overall story (?!?whatever that is?!?) is as strong as the other aspects of the production. This series has joined Azumanga Daioh in the *watch immediately* catagory -- and what a pair of contrasting series...

(inc)
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here,

I'm going to chime in and agree with (inc) on Witch Hunter Robin. It looks like it has real potential to be a winner so far.

I watched the AKU version of ep 1 (only v of ep 1 I've seen up) and just finished watchin the R-B version of ep 2 and it hasn't dashed my hopes so far. It's even raised them a bit more.

I guess now it's time to waste bandwidth dl'n and figuring out who's doing the best encodes/fansub's. Wink
user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I've watched the AKU version of WHR ep 1, and the R-B and HQA&Anbu versions of ep 2. I think that R-B might've added some sort of color saturation filter to their encode; the colors are noticeably brighter when I compare the same scenes side by side with HQA's version. The HQA&Anbu encode seems to maintain the same color intensity as AKU's episode 1. Anyone else notice the same thing, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum