abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Your hardware?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How fast is your hardware?
0-500 MHz
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
501-1000 MHz
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
1-1.5 GHz
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
>1.5 GHz
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Your hardware? Reply with quote

Just curious, you know.

I mostly view on a Fujitsu Lifebook, 500 MHz Celeron, 64 MB RAM. Showing it's age in the latest codec upheavals Crying or Very sad

-xo
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download and watch on a 666MHz Pentium III, which coincidentally cost me $666 and change to build. I run a M$ OS on it (Win95), all of which justifies calling it the Beast Box. Smile

It's got 384MB of PC-133 SDRAM, which Win95 does not make efficient use of , somewhere around 15GB of disk space, and an ATI Rage 128 graphics card. I run 800x600x32-bit resolution because none of my monitors will do higher resolutions without threatening to explode. The sound card is a plain jane Shitblaster PCI 128.

Lately Win95 has been behaving badly. It's a shame to put it down after running it for 6 years without needing a reinstall, but I think its time has come. Considering installing '98 soon. Would prefer 2000, but I hear it's not good for games. Don't trust ME or XP.
fureimu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to start a heated OS debate or anything... but Windows 2000 IS good for games; I've been using it from the day it hit the shelves here in Sweden. Sure, you can forget many old DOS games (Some still do work, with sound ^_^); and even some recent games might have problems (We can just blame lazy programmers)... but generally the system is flawless, and very much faster than Windows 95/98/ME (Except the booting time, but hey, who needs to reboot anyway:)

For those watching anime on slower computers like laptops and such (I sometimes do); I'd recommend the ffdshow codec -- last I tried it I was able to play just about anything at full framerate. http://cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow/index.html
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...ever since installing the ffdshow codec to watch the BoogiePop episodes not only does everything look more jaggedy, but it actually stutters and pauses a little MORE in scenes where the entire frame including the background moves a lot than it did before. And this is with an Athlon 1.3ghz, 768 megs of RAM, ATI Raedon 32-meg video card system. Dangit, I don't need quality so high that I can see every pore on every animated face, y'know?

HB
fureimu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm; that's strange. ffdshow works flawless for me, w2k/1.33ghz athlon/768mb/gf2pro here. Are you using ffdshow's xvid decoder usage or the built-in ffdshow one? Judging by the cvs activity of the ffdshow project I'd guess there'll be a new release rather soon too.
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. I'm kind of more of the "Me install codec, video plays, me happy" type. What should the settings be set to, ideally?

HB
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT7A-R, 1.2Ghz Tbird, 640MB, 30GB + 60GB (anime dedicated, of course-and full, at that) + 40GB, GF2GTS spaciously crammed into an Antec 1030B with 4 case fans + PS fan + 7k rpm cpu noise machine, viewed on a 17" monitor
Melchior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My anime machine is an AthlonXP 1600+ (1.43GHz) with 256 MB of DDR RAM, a super-cheap 32MB TNT2 graphics card, SB128 onboard sound, a 60GB Seagate Barracuda IV harddrive (damn is it ever quiet! I've had it for 10 months now, not a single error to date, and still as silent as the day I bought it! ...And it's been in a *hot* computer case all this time). The computer's housed in a 3/16" thick steel case (weighs over 100lbs) to keep the noise down. Cooling's less than optimal, but my mobo and CPU temp gauges never hit any extremes, so I figure I'm OK there.

The monitor's a 20" Trinitron that I got for $150 from Boeing (used) a couple years ago. Not the sharpest display (at least, no super-sharp at 1280*1024), but pretty good for watching anime videos on.
tomreivik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you remind me of a friend at a lan party the other day playing GTA3 with his TNT on an athlon XP 1600.

I watch anime on my magical Athlon Tbird 1.2ghz with my lcd. I keep everything on my fileserver downstairs so I can reinstall win2k at will. I'm definitely content with my setup.

My player has a little CPU meter that shows me (do I really have to say it?) my cpu usage while playing anime. I've noticed that a lot of things seem to suck up over 50% which seems a little strange because my p3 500 downstairs (which houses all of my anime) seems to hover at 20% all of the time. Maybe it's not giving me an accurate measure or something because that just seems strange. Oh well.

Oh yeah, I've got an inwin q500 full tower (35lb beast) just in case someone tries to beat me up with a baseball bat, my computer will be [reasonably] safe. ( ;
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to mention that I don't actually watch on a rinky dink laptop screen, I S-Video out to TV, as discussed here.

-xo
tomreivik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, S-Video is the way to go if my parents aren't home. Otherwise I watch on my computer with headphones... (which are actually quite good).
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
Lately Win95 has been behaving badly. It's a shame to put it down after running it for 6 years without needing a reinstall, but I think its time has come. Considering installing '98 soon. Would prefer 2000, but I hear it's not good for games. Don't trust ME or XP.

Well, I did it on the weekend. Upgraded to '98. Win2K proved too unstable on my machine, for some reason.

Anyway, I'm having a little trouble with WMP under 98: Every time I play a file, it connects to activex.microsoft.com to try and get a codec, and of course fails. It then proceeds to play the file anyway because I already have all my codecs installed.

Is there any way to prevent WMP from phoning home like that? I don't like the thought of Bill knowing what I like to watch. Wink

Probably not. Perhaps it's time I started using a different player.
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova:
Edit your hosts file and have activex.microsoft.com and codecs.microsoft.com point back to 127.0.0.1. In Win2K it should be winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and windows\system\hosts.sam for Win98 I think.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Earthdark. I'll try that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put together this system earlier this year primarily because of the playback problems I had with anime encoded with Divx 5 on my old Celeron system. New system has a P4 1.7 ghz cpu and 768 megs of memory. Graphics card is a 64 meg ATI 8500.

About the only thing still on my upgrade wishlist is to get a larger capacity HD.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum