abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Mommy mommy, where do the little fansubs come from...?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Mommy mommy, where do the little fansubs come from...? Reply with quote

Before I have to leave, I want to ask a question that bothered me sometimes.

What are the video sources of those fansubs from currently aired shows in Japan? Are they recordings of the broadcast? Judging from the quality, there are no analog parts in the process chain. So they capture it on digital VCRs directly from a digital feed? But how do they get them into the PC? Or are there PC cards for direct capturing?

Second, I've seen sponsoring messages, traffic news and sometimes even actual advertising... but I've never seen a TV station logo or identifier.
Is it uncommon for japanese TV stations to insert their logo? Or are they filtered out somehow?

T.Rieper
user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many sources are captured live, either with a digital VCR or DVR (Tivo, etc) or by using a capture card. But some of the encodes are also really soft, so maybe a few sources are from standard VHS and then run through noise and soften filters. Most PC capture cards can record off the air directly by using capture programs like AVI_IO, PowerVCR or some other proprietary software, assuming they either have a built-in tuner (some ATI cards) or once they're connected to a VCR's video out.

I've also occasionally seen semi-transparent logos on fansubs; some of the Mahoromatic ones sported a faint BS-i logo in the upper-left-hand corner, if I remember correctly. Removing a logo would be rather difficult depending on how opaque it is. There's a delogo filter for Virtualdub, but I don't know how well it works.
Foxdemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think they just copy the DVD to their HD and then they encode it with some program (I don't know wich one)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxdemon wrote:
Well, I think they just copy the DVD to their HD and then they encode it with some program (I don't know wich one)

A lot of the new series we're getting now aren't on DVD yet. We're getting them shortly after the initial TV airing. How they get the quality so good is the question.
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital satellite feed.
asdf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think they are hi-definition tv streams considering that hi-fi tv's in japan are more widespread in japan. in the usa, the government is struggling to keep up with the digital tv era, even passed a couple mandatory laws to phase out analog tv sets by 2005, reduce the price of hi-fi tv sets, etc. i remember a while back 'the big 4' (fox, abc, cbs, nbc) couldn't even agree on a common transmission format. some wanted 480i, 480p, 512i, 720p, up-coverted, etc. i find that funny bc early adopters where forced to buy set-top boxes which supported all of the proposed formats, costing them lots of $$$$. others like me, waited until the big four got their heads straight. */me continues waiting* Very Happy

*notes*
480/720 = the pixel resolution (forgot which way it goes [Horz or Vert])
i = interlaced
p=progressive
up-convert = doubling the resolution (ie. 512i becomes 1024i)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum