abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Rice-Box: Witch Hunter Robin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MindFlayer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Rice-Box: Witch Hunter Robin Reply with quote

I just want to say that I think this a really good series and that Rice-Box is doing a good job on it. The quality is nice and the subtitling is professional. I would like for them to use the same font throughout the episodes, though. I like their usage of a 'Terminal' font for when people are speaking over a phone. Also, the blurry font used in the beginning of episode 1 to depict a fuzzy radio was nice.

Keep up the good work! Very Happy
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they improve in later episodes? Off the first couple of episodes (all I've watched -- been saving it), the HQA&ANBU sub was much more accurate. I found R-B’s misinterpretation of Robin being a Nun, instead of just having been raised in a monastery, very annoying, along with their missing the fire *joke* at the end of the first show.

(inc)
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like HQA/ANBU's typesettings more.. but overall, to me, it seems R-B's translation has improved a lot, just that they still poor in the grammar department.. and that's pretty bad considering how bad my grammar already is.
Kuritorisu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: R-B vs AC vs HQA&ANBU Reply with quote

I've heard from someone that R-B has recently been using XviD with an insane chain of filters, which may explain the still-acceptable-picture at such reasonable file sizes.

AFAIK, both the HQA&ANBU and the AnimeCo versions are still using DivX 3.11 SBC.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of all three versions to see just how they stack up?

(inc, I know you have all three versions of episode 6 right now ;)
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think R-B's are divx3/SBC as well...
Kuritorisu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell what things are encoded in these days.

R-B could have used XviD to encode in and then changed the headers to DivX <shrugs>
earthdark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuritorisu wrote:
It's hard to tell what things are encoded in these days.

R-B could have used XviD to encode in and then changed the headers to DivX <shrugs>

That doesn't work... cause the DivX codec would bitch about unknown or corrupted format when it sees a XVid data stream and not a divx stream.

Anyhow, a simple look in a hexeditor or in VDub should tell you what codec it is.
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: R-B vs AC vs HQA&ANBU Reply with quote

Kuritorisu wrote:
inc, I know you have all three versions of episode 6 right now ;)
Hee, but I've only watched to ep 2 -- been too afraid of spoilers to do a check on subtitles in later encodes. I guess it's time to actually catch up with it.

Just a note on the small file sizes -- this series is so darkly toned, with grays shading into blacks, that getting a small size with divx would be pretty easy. And I just checked eps 11 and 12 from RB with a hex editor; unless I'm missing something, both appear to be divx3.

(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been keeping up with the series, but after doing some spot checks with the later episodes... the lesser known R-B work seems to be just fine.

While HQA&ANBU have some very talented typesetters (look at that OP sequence Shocked), R-B manages to get the correct message across... in some cases with a slightly rawer translation.

What may have turned people off from R-B are simple errors in the first couple episodes like "Raben's flat" and calling Robin a nun.

Oh well, fansubs are fansubs. I guess I'll conserve by bandwidth by not downloading multiple versions (a very bad habit of mine that's being clamped down on by the horrible traffic limits imposed by my cable internet provider Mad)
Kuritorisu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, that post was by me, btw. I just forgot to type in a username Rolling Eyes

As a side note, the AnimeCo encodes of WHR seem to look the sharpest (or lack the amount of smoothing) when compared to the R-B and HQA&ANBU encodes.

But in all honesty, when the R2 DVD rips come around... there won't be any contest. (I wonder if they will be widescreen, containing extra information at the sides?)
teki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the r-b encodes were too dark to see without turning up the brightness setting. Other than that, the two are very close in quality.
Opal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah rice box is great!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum