abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

CRC errors after Doom_iii decompress

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Postings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMadison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: CRC errors after Doom_iii decompress Reply with quote

Basically, the situation is this. I decompressed a large RAR for the doom 3 demo. It may be just a coincidence, but after I did that (it crc'd like crazy also) every rar that I have downloaded since shows multiple CRC errors.

Ive tried several different fixes. Ive reinstalled winrar 3.0 corporate edition several times. Ive reinstalled my FTP program. Ive defraged both of my drives and done several virus scans. My definitions are all updated.

The most disturbing thing is that its never the same files, in the RAR group, that show corrupt. The first time it may be ".r01, .r09, .r20" and then I run the test or extract right after it finishes on the same files and its ".rar, .r10, .r22, .r33" There is no pattern to this. Sometimes its one of the files, sometimes its 17 of them. It even fails on winace 2.2. Both programs say the files are corrupt.

***IVE TESTED ABOUT 7 DIFFERENT SETS OF RARs FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT SERVERS*** Ive never had it error once, let alone every time. Something is definitly wrong on my PC and not the files themselves.

Im at my wits end with this. Basically, Im wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If you have, please let me know how you fixed.

I will format if I have to, but id rather save the time and if its actually a new virus that hasn't been discovered, well then, formating my data drive is not an option.

Any view would most helpful. Thanks.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having similar problems lately, but not nearly as bad. I'm having more problems with QuickSFV and SmartPAR than I am with WinRAR. They inconsistently report errors, and a checksum I generate one minute will fail the test immediately after.

In my case the problems only appear after playing music or video files, and goes away after a reboot. I suspect it's some kind of Win98 buffering problem. Win98 is great if you like driver and buffering problems. Smile

In your case I'm inclined to suspect the same, or else a flaky IDE cable. Try disabling 32-bit disk buffering if your OS has that option. It'll slow things down massively, but if the errors go away then you'll at least know it's a software problem. Note that this isn't a conclusive test for a software problem; it's just an easy one to try.

Bad IDE cables are notoriously difficult to diagnose, as depending on the type of failure, they can look like bad memory, bad disk, bad power supply, or fried motherboard. If you suspect a hardware problem, it might be worth investing $10 in a new drive cable before you go replacing anything else. It could be that you have an intermittent short or break in one of the data lines to the hard drive.

Good luck, and let us know if you figure out the cause.
BMadison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: You might be suprised by the(not yet fully confirmed)result Reply with quote

I uninstalled my PPoE of all things. It was kinda of my last resort. I was able to successfully able to unRAR a small 7 part RAR and im in the process of downloading a large one. Ill be sure to let you know whether it works. Im very optimistic about this one.

If this doesn't work, Im going to do a test with my friend's laptop. Im going to try to unRAR something that is verified good. If it doesn't unRAR, then im going to transfer one of mine to his laptop and see if he starts experiencing the same problem. If he does, that means I have a disease at which point I will have to format and reload his OS for him.

If not, I'll be 100% sure its my OS at which point I will reinstall my OS drive and start from scratch. If that doesn't fix it, this PC is going out the window and Ill never buy another AMD for as long as I live.

Im pretty sure that its not a hardware problem cause its doing it on my wife's PC too. That leaves my PPoE or a virus, or a registry entry that appended itself because of something inside the file I had. Im hoping its my PPoE cause I havn't had a virus in 6 yrs and don't plan to start now.
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought, have you surface-scanned the hard disk for bad sectors? Last December my mom's computer was giving strange, inconsistent errors, and at first I suspected a flaky IDE cable, but a later disk surface scan proved the problem to be a hard drive with corruption problems that were getting a few bytes worse every day.

Incidentally, as far as AMD processors go, I'm on my third AMD-based system (K6-2/300, K6-2/450, XP1600+), and I've never had a single problem with any of the processors.

...Which reminds me, a couple years ago a friend of mine bought an AMD Duron system and it started having problems a week later, I suspected the CPU but the weird problems turned out to be due to the RAM-- the computer store replaced the RAM and all was well again.

Good luck!
BMadison

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Im pretty sure its a virus Reply with quote

Well, I ended formatting EVERYTHING cause nothing else worked. I actually "accidentally" formated my data drive. I installed my OS and blam!!! no more CRC errors. So I scanned my drive to unformat some of the data I shoulda backed. Since that scan, THE CRC ERRORS ARE BACI!!! Im gonna unformat my drive, burn all my important pictures on a disk and wipe the drive. Ill just have to redownload all 46 gigs of binaries and mp3s. The pictures are what im worried about. Sucks to lose 2 yrs of my life, but I guess thats how it goes if I trust a drive thats hooked up to my system as my backup. Lesson Learned!!
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

I learned my lesson years ago with much smaller losses. Now I keep several 700MB buffers set aside for recent downloads that I want to keep. As soon as one fills up, I burn it right away.
Tinygrasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the exact same thing happen to me a while ago...
Turns out that i had a bad stick of ram...
was a bitch to hunt the problem down and to diagnose which stick was bad

I ran some diagnostic software and it found errors and i had to keep swapping out ram to see which one was bad...

http://www.memtest86.com/
give it a try, most likely that's what's causing your errors since it was pretty much exactly what was happening to me.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Postings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum