abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

DVD burners and such...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orqyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: DVD burners and such... Reply with quote

So.. how 'bout them Cowboys.

yeah, they suck, Quincy Carter was an idiot.

Back to DVD burners. I recently got that sony one DRU-500a. Been messing with it a bit now. Wondering if anyone else has comments on DVD burning in general. Please submit your essay in under 500 words. Papers that are over the limit will be heavily penalized.

No, but seriously. What do ppl think about copying dvds and such, as why else would you get one at this stage. Yeah, backing up stuff is legitimate as well, with all the masses of crap we all have, but everyone whose gotten one given thought to copying discs? And if you haven't, plan on getting one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I haven't been paying much attention to dvd cooking. I've been waiting for the whole format snafu to get sorted out (dvd r/rw/+r/+rw).

My brother bought one of the dvd+rw ones and he's been a happy camper with it. I forget which make/model he purchased. He did send me one dvd which contained practically his whole archive of apps/utillities/tools and such that he uses and it read fine on my old Hitachi dvd rom. I guess you do have some choice in burn options for compatability even in the current crop of drives.

Kind of amazing to see 4+GB of crap on one disc. Smile

*sigh* I'm dreaming of anime storage consolidation heaven now. Wink
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I need one.. perhaps plan on getting one.. all knows I need one.. CDs are starting eat some significant storage space. That same Sony Drive would be the one I would get, since it does both formats. There was another, I'm sure.. that did both formats, but I cant seem to remember now.. that one would be candidate as well..

As for copying discs.. think the only copying I'd do would be copying discs I make.. The local rental stores have pretty much only got anime I've seen, and movies.. well, dont really care about have a copy of a movie around so much. Plus, ripping and toning down to 1/5th the original size is something I'd be more prone to do than copy.

My 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 cents

and Orqy, what's your avatar from? I stumbled across Soul Calibur II today and it's reminding me of some pics and junk I saw...
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orqy, been upgrading my main box lately (new mb @ 3+G oc'd; radeon 9700 pro, blah, blah...) so your timing is pretty good. But no DVD burner for me yet; first the above mentioned format wars (and, yes, I still have a Beta player) and now just other hardware priorities. Right now your Sony looks like the only real choice, but NEC is supposed to have a multi-something out in a few weeks (last I checked). I'm curious to hear some *real-world* usage stories.

(inc)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, glad everyone still have lots to talk about, lord knows I haven't.

Chung: right on the nose. Its Xianghua :))))

Wow, no purple hair for me for once.

inc: Yeah, me and Keikai got in on the Dell deal since Keikai told me about that drive a long time ago. Supposedly the NEC drive will be the same specs as the sony, 4x 2x for DVD-R/RW and 4x 2.4x for DVD+R/RW. I check periodically on cdrlabs.org for news, and it looks like a lot of companies are hopping on the multi-format bandwagon, so it looks like the war's going to come to a truce. And here's an extra tidbit from me. A couple console dvd players will play -R but not +R. Same goes for the RW varieties. No 4x media in sight... But yeah, atm should people get a drive, I suggest burning with -R for now. Case in point, my panasonic DVD player, Sony PS2.

Currently the sony only does DVD+R at 2.4x but they've promised a new firmware that allows it to compete on the same level as NEC's. Most reviews on that drive have been extremely positive, even from me. The only thing questionable is whether it burns cheapo media; well or if at all. No problems with the good quality ones such as fuji, sony, mac... And getting the drive made me go out and try to copy a movie dvd. Making a PS2 burn or xbox was pretty easy, as well as just plain using it for storage. And I found making a backup of a dvd movie (single density ones) to be relatively easy. Much easier than I thought it should be. which is why I kinda brought up the whole topic.

Wondering how long before we see people posting anime DVD images since, to be quite honest, it can be done with relative ease just using Nero. Oh, and of course tools found on Doom9. At the lowest level, all it takes is to rip all the files in VIDEO_TS to HD and open up nero DVD-Video. I tested it out with my Ceres disc which was encrypted, and Ranma TV which was unencrypted. Unencrypted can be done straight, as logic would assume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wondering how long before we see people posting anime DVD images...

Man, is that one thing I'm not looking forward to, but with this new Sony, the coming NEC, etc, and at (at least to me), a relatively cheap price-point considering what they do, we'll see such a post within 3 months, ibetcha. Rolling Eyes

(inc)
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An added thought -- I also was kind of waiting to see what Plextor is going to come out with. I assume they will be competitive -- they usually are, and then some.

(inc)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have an added thought 8)

with these DVD burners, perhaps we'll come full cycle back to the glory days of 2 discs per season, er... 13 eps/ disc.

I usually wait on Plextor to deliver the goods, but this time, the deal was too good to pass up.

I'm sure later on down, I'll upgrade this one with a Plextor :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
Quote:

Man, is that one thing I'm not looking forward to, but with this new Sony, the coming NEC, etc, and at (at least to me), a relatively cheap price-point considering what they do, we'll see such a post within 3 months, ibetcha. Rolling Eyes

(inc)

Please no ! The anime group are big enough
Saeren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime DVD images? Please no. Seriously, if that's going to start happening, there needs to be a seperate group for that. All we need is someone getting happy and flood posting a whole season of Ranma DVD images.
Magnet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I sit here and type this I look over at my 200 CD wallet which is almost filled. I know it would be if I ever burned off all the other stuff I accumulated on my computers. Not only that, but last weekend I went out and bought 200 more CDs for burning anime onto. I'm going to have to make another trip to the store to buy another 200 CD wallet for extra storage. Soon I'll be to lift weights with all my anime CD wallets.
This is why there is one basic reason why I'm itching for a DVD burner, and that simple reason is, as LaughnCynic said, you get 4 gigs of data on one DVD. Four gigs, let's see here... Thats about two 26 episode series of decent quality or one complete 26 episode high qaulity series (and some room for some art too) on one DVD. Not to mention another perk of DVDs, since they're so big you don't lose as high of percentage of space when you can't fit that one extra episode on a disc.
Let's say you're putting an anime series, which is 150 megs and episode onto disc. Every CD you burn, you will lose 100 megs. If it is a standard 26 episode series, then it will take about 6.4 CDs to completly burn the series. That's a total loss of 1 GB of possible storage space if you don't put anything else on the CD. A DVD on the other hand. You can put the entire series onto the DVD and you will still have 100 MB left over. If you don't put anything else on then you've essentially lost 2.5% of your possible storage space verus CD's which you have lost about %20 of your possible storage space.
In any event, DVDs follow the exact trend all technology has been following. You get more of what you want in a smaller amount of space. Is it worth it yet? That's up to you to decide. Just know that very soon DVD burners will be as common place as CD players are now. Chances are that you're going to want to re-burn you anime in the future onto DVD, assuming you buy a DVD burner (and you're still an anime otaku), which is going to take time and money as well.
If you basically look at it as you will be getting a DVD burner in the future and will reburn you CD collection to DVD, instead of do I want to get a DVD burner now, you will be able to decide when and if you want to get a DVD burner. As long as you think of it this way you can decide when it will actually be cheaper in the long run, not to mention less time/space consuming to purchase yourself a DVD burner.

~My Situation~
For me it cost about $50 to buy and store 200 CDs. It also consumes about 34 hours of burn time to produce those 200 CDs (8x burner). By the time I finish burning these next 200 CDs I think I will be definatly ready for a DVD burner, although if the price hasn't dropped below $250 by then (it's been close) I might just go another 200 CDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: And the winner for most accuret prediction for 2003 is...... Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
Quote:

(inc)

inc!

Looks like some one is posting a dvd-r ISO image of Trigun, which is about 4gigs in amba.
Keikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Looks like some one is posting a dvd-r ISO image of Trigun, which is about 4gigs in amba.

Egads, that's depressing...

Anyways, while I'm working on the posting section of the FAQ, it seems that just saying "no DVD rips", which it does, is not enough, as sometimes people get out of hand with other formats as well. The only good measure I can think of is size:duration ratio (average bitrate).

So should there be a size:duration ratio limitation listed in the FAQ or should I just leave it vague? If there were an upper limit, it should be somewhere around or above the average bitrates used in SVCD compliant movies which span 2 80m CD-Rs, I think, since noone seems to get upset about those.

Any thoughts? I'm rather ambivalent on the subject.
zanson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: doesn't matter if they are posting dvd-r's just not in a day Reply with quote

Just put something about post ~300-400MB a day max, which I thought was already in there.
Also you might put: "if you want to post a dvd image, do it to a.b.dvdr and leave a note in a.b.anime/a.b.m.anime about it."

Zanson
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanson makes an interesting point. While I have made more specific mention of the daily posting limits in the revision I'm working on (as I mentioned the entire posting section has been rewritten), should DVD rips be "disallowed"? I assumed yes from discussions I've read, but are daily posting limits enough.

In other words, if a poster breaks up a DVD rip across enough days that it doesn't break posting limits, is that okay? I personally don't think so, even though I have a DVD burner, since I think it's bad for the health of the groups. But, I certainly agree that zanson's suggestion is another viable and sensible alternative.

If it's "disallowed", pointing them to a DVDR group, as zanson mentions, is also a sensible course of action.

Thanks, zanson, for your well-made points. While I suspect I know how most of the regulars feel on this, I'd appreciate comments. As this is going to be a prominent source of friction on the groups in the future.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum