abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Out of Sync Audio

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lytlejva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Out of Sync Audio Reply with quote

A number of anime titles that I have downloaded has the audio leading the video by up to a couple seconds. A couple of the most recent examples are the Hakenden and Dai Guard series although their are others. I have found that ZoomPlayer does better than WMP XP in keeping in sync, but it doesn't help some titles. Question is, is this from the encoding by the fansubber or my system. I've read about ways to resync using Virtual Dub, etc but don't want to do it unless it really is an encoding problem rather than a system problem. I am using a Pentium II 450, 320MB RAM with a TNT 16MB graphics card. I've even disabled all background programs to help the video process faster. I should upgrade to a faster system but can't at the moment. I might be able to get a better video card if that will help. I just don't believe that so many titles have a encoding problem.
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely unfortunately your system. The higher encode rate a digisubber uses, the more likely a lower-end computer is to start lagging as far as the video goes. The two worst ones for me tend to be Juuni Kokki and Tokyo Mew Mew. To get them to run well, I often have to do a clean reboot, shut down all the other running programs not essential to keeping Windows going and use the DivX player instead of WMP. That usually does the trick for me, but I've got a Athlon 1.3ghz system with 768 megs of RAM and a 32-meg ATI Raedon video card, which isn't a top of the line system by any means but you'd at least think it'd be enough to watch a video without audio lag. With a Pentium II 450, though, I'm afraid you won't have much luck running hardly any of the latest releases. As the sub groups keep pushing for higher and higher quality video even fairly powerful computers are falling short.

You can always try VirtualDub to re-encode episodes to a lower quality or smaller display size video. When I had a system similar to yours, what I did was I converted a lot of the higher-end AVIs to RealPlayer format using RealProducer. The end result wasn't always pretty, but it was usually watchable at least.

HB
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's most likely your CPU. Fortunately upgrades are cheap these days, and you don't need to go whole hog - I have a P3 666MHz, and only occasionally do I find an encode (usually high-res Divx 5 or XviD) that bogs me down.

You could try checking the properties for your codecs to see if they have a low-quality decode setting. Alternatively use VirtualDub to reduce the frame rate to 15FPS and perhaps reduce the resolution as well.
lytlejva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Out of Sync Audio Reply with quote

Thanks for the all the advice. I upgraded my 450 system with a Powerleap 1.4 GHz CPU. Problem solved. I know new systems are cheap but wasn't in my budget. Over the 4 years I've had my system I'd already replaced one drive and added another, both 7200 RPM w/ATA 100, replaced my DVD drive, added a 12x CD-RW drive, and upped memory to 320MB. The Powerleap option seemed to be the best way to go now. I'm saving for a future dream system later on.

One thing I noticed. Using G-Spot to check my AVI files, I didn't find a clear relationship between frame rate or bit rate and the sync problem. Some of them were low bit and/or frame rates and were out of sync. Some of the higher rates were in sync. I didn't pay attention to the specific codecs, so that may explain some of the difference.

Jim
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my old 450 MHz computer, I found that the single biggest thing that would cause my system to bog down and lose sync was the video's resolution.

320*240, no prob.
512*384, only probs at high bitrate.
640*480, always skippy video, always losing sync.

Fortunately, those problems all stopped when I upgraded my system. (Athlon 1600+ ).
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd...

I have an old as hell 'PoS' P2 333 w/128MB and I can run most high res stuff without trouble. Divx3/4 640x480 (even some 720x480 16:9 stuff) are fine almost all the time. No dropped frames and out of sync sound only happens on particular encodes. Ones that I remember frequently having sound sync troubles with were some of the Juuni Kokki encodes by AC-AOI before they switched to using xvid. There have been others here and there but they're the exception not the rule.

It's probably that most higher res encodes have a low enough bit rate that it doesn't choke my box.

Divx 5 I don't bother with since I doubt it'd run well on this sys. I've heard too many stories about how much cpu horse power it needs and the stories of all the fiddling around with it you have to do to keep divx3/4 working. Though dx5 encodes that don't use the fancy dx5 features (where the fourcc can be set to divx so divx4 can play it back) are fine too.

I guess I should be pleased that this old shit box does as well as it does. Only things I've thrown at it that it just won't handle are ogm's. Just too much crunching for this box to do. I suspect a lack of full optimisation in the OggDS filters or that ogm, vorbis sound, and xvid are just overkill for this poor old cpu. Wink
St_ech0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently running into the same problems on my system (P3 450). It became noticably worse after an install of Nimo's codec pack. I tried everything I could think of to correct it.
Finally, in desperation, I installed the latest ffdshow filter and told to to play divx 3 through divx 3 codec, divx 4 through divx 4, and so on. This cleared up all my audio synch issues. You may want to give that a try.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard many folks say that if you use Nimo and indescriminately let it install everything you'll end up with a codec snafu. I have never touched it myself.

I've been meaning to try ffdshow to see how it'll handle things but haven't gotten around to it. Been busy moving and such.

I remember a long while back (many months ago) that some folks said ffdshow was fine on win2k and xp but on win9* it had problems. Is this still the case with the current widely used ffdshow alpha (20020923 version)?
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had major problems resulting from Nimo too. It installed some filters I didn't need and screwed up the format-to-player mapping so that the least efficient codecs were playing the most formats. I removed it and reinstalled the codecs individually and have had no problems since.
St_ech0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the latest "stable" ffdshow release (the June 16th release). I'm running it on Win ME and an older P3 system with no problems. Like I said, it actually corrected my synch problems.

You were spot on with the comment about the Nimo Pack screwing up the mapping on format-to-players. The same problem happened for me. Definitely employ caution when choosing your file sets during the Nimo Pack installation.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum