abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Why you don't get an email from this site

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Why you don't get an email from this site Reply with quote

By "email from this site" I'm not referring to spam - I don't spam and will never do so. It's up to you when you register to choose to believe that or not.

The issue is the capability of this forum software in use here (phpBB) to send email on a least 4 occasions:

account registration- it emails you a confirmation and password reminder for your records

password reset - if you forget your password, you can have it reset and sent to you.

private message notification- it emails you a notice that you have a private message waiting

thread "follow" notification - if you ask to be notified when new posts appear in a thread, it'll email you

Pretty innocuous and possibly quite useful use of email I think.

Unfortunately, these features will not work for some of you because of the actions of certain anti-spam groups. Organizations such as SPEWS have a policy where they will ban entire netblocks based on the actions of one or a few hosts and apparently one of my "neighbors" was at one time deemed to have been a spam host.

It's a charged and controversial issue that you can read about elsewhere if you are so inclined- I won't go into that here. Bottom line is that some of the ISPs that you folks use for email are refusing messages of the type above, and from me personally because they choose to subscribe to and utilize the aforementioned blacklists. And, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to change hosts - it will cost me more money than I already spend, more time, and downtime of services for me.

So - if you find that features such as those described are not working, this is probably the reason. If you find that I'm not answering email in a reasonable timeframe, this is probably the reason. This hasn't been a serious issue (yet)- the ability to register and use this board does not require email the way I have it configured. I do want to make this issue known, however.

If you have reason to think you are affected and would like to know, drop me a line. I think it would be a breach of trust/privacy if I were to post a list of affected accounts here so I'll leave it up to you if you want to know.

-xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum