abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

does at&t have aba, abma, and abmar?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: does at&t have aba, abma, and abmar? Reply with quote

i'm planning on getting at&t broadband. i don't know if i should get dsl or cable yet. either way, does at&t have the aba, abma, and abmar newsgroups? if it does, are the posts useable or do they have a lot of partials?

thanks!

jones
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may vary from region to region - here in L.A., they carry aba, abma, abmar, and abav.

Completion is generally quite good. Periodically (every few months it seems) things go to hell for a few days to a week, and I have to hit Easynews a bit more than usual, but normally, it's as good as one could hope for.

Retention is another issue. Until a few months ago, it was 4 days or so, which was very nice. You could skip a day or two and still grab stuff before they fall off. Now, it's about 36 hours, which means I have to be more rigorous with grabbing stuff daily.

Anyway, like I said, these specifics may only apply to the West region servers. Where are you?

-xo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:

Completion is generally quite good. Periodically (every few months it seems) things go to hell for a few days to a week, and I have to hit Easynews a bit more than usual, but normally, it's as good as one could hope for.

Anyway, like I said, these specifics may only apply to the West region servers. Where are you?

-xo

i'm in northern california. right next to monterey. i never had to use easynews before. what exactly is it?

thanks for your detailed description of at&t's service. you were really helpful!

jones
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

i'm in northern california. right next to monterey. i never had to use easynews before.

I think you may be assigned the same news servers, then. I believe the same servers cover the entire west region, but I could be wrong.

Easynews is a premium news service. They have excellent completion and retention of over a month. For $10/month, you get a 6 GB quota which for me at least is more than enough to cover missing pieces from my primary/attbi server.

-xo
scratch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: aba, abma, and abmar newsgroups Reply with quote

I'm the opposite...i got hooked on Easynews but don't know what " aba, abma, and abmar newsgroups " are... i'm sure its kind of a stupid questions...thanks guys
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: aba, abma, and abmar newsgroups Reply with quote

scratch wrote:
I'm the opposite...i got hooked on Easynews but don't know what " aba, abma, and abmar newsgroups " are... i'm sure its kind of a stupid questions...thanks guys

aba - alt.binaries.anime
abma - alt.binaries.multimedia.anime
abmar - alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.repost

Which makes me curious, how did you get wind of this discussion/forum group if you didnt know about the anime groups?
sj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I was under the impression that ATTBI was pretty much ATTBI as far as news servers go .. but I can vouch pretty much the same for ATTBI, as a southeastern customer(Georgia, more specifically). Great completion, crap retention. On a good many groups I go on, saying it has 36 hours worth of retention is probably being a bit optimistic.. It has pretty much everything I could think of though: aba, abma, abmar, abmav, abmaRaws, and of course the sounds groups: absa and absjpop

Of course, I'm not as big of a leecher as most people, but it keeps me busy. And I can't really complain since it's (sort of) free.. except for every few months it'll just go to the crapper, like xo says.. but it's definitely one of the better usenet services(especially ones you don't really have to pay extra for) out there if retention isn't that big of a deal for you.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum