abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Encoding settings

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Encoding settings Reply with quote

Ok, let's see how well I can do his from memory.. at work and dont have access to my settings.

I would have IVTC'd the sucker, but no go.. the video seem to have been flmed at 30fps so that's what I left it at.

Filter List:
-Telecine
-Smart Resize (Precise Bilinear is key!)
-Smart Smoother (3,45 is about what I set it to, I think)
-Temporal Smoother (between 6-8, I think)
-VobSub

Divx5:
-single pass
-GMC on
-Bi-Directional Frames on
-Min-Quan,Max-Quan = 2,12 (Someone once told me Max-Quan should be lower, but I never tried it)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head for sure. So there's what I used. Data-rate I cant remember what I used.. it's probably between 900-1000kbps, though using single pass, the actual rate does end up being lower.
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one time having trouble with IVTC and that was with the Gundam Wing Endless Waltz movie and that was because the field order kept changing through the entire movie. Which thus caused the move 3 frames, jump back 1 frame problem. This also wouldn't allow for deinterlace or leave interlaced. (I was creating an svcd.) In the end, I did forced film and encoded it at 23.976fps, which corrected the feild order problem, but also resulted in a few interlaced frames. Which wasn't so bad, the movie was about 94-95% FILM and 6-5% NTSC. Which 95%+ is Film. So most were already progressive.

Now, since the movie was already SVCD, I decided to do the OAV episodes in OGM format. So I gave the two filters you listed a test with the first episode.

The settings I used were:

IVTC via AVS
BicubicResize with soft bicubic (0.333,0.333)
Smart Smoother 7,50
Temporal Smoother 7

I didn't use divx5, because I like XviD. I used to use DivX5, until I gave XviD a test and it came out much better. So I use it. The settings I used to XviD is:
2-Pass VBR
2-Pass 1st pass
Global:
Motion search precision: 6-Ultra High
Quantization type: H.263
FourCC used: XVID (you can use DIVX, but I don't like the way it decodes.)
Maximum I-frame interval: 30
Minimum I-frame interval: 6
Enable lumi masking: check
Enable interlacing: uncheck
Two Pass:
Discard first pass: check
Hinted ME: check
Credits:
I set the ending credits, because they were in b/w. This can be ignored.

2-Pass - 2nd pass External
I used Gordian Knot to edit the first pass stats. Followed the guide on www.doom9.org
Settings that are different from the first pass are:
Quantization:
Min I-frame quantizer: 2
Max I-frame quantizer: 31
Min P-frame quantizer: 2
Max P-frame quantizer: 31
Two Pass:
I-frame boost %: 20
High bitrate scenes %: 25
Low bitrate scenes %: 10
Bitrate payback delay (frames): 240
Payback with bias: check
2nd pass stats: Location of the edited g-knot stat file.
Alt Curve:
Use Alternative curve system: check
Curve aggression: High
High distance from average %: 250
Low distance from average %: 100
Enable automatic minimum relative quality: check
Strength %: 50
Enable automatic bonus bias calculation: check

Yeah, most of it is default. Very Happy

The avs file I created with gordian knot and I did all my bitrate calculations with gordian knot, but this is what my avs file looked like.

Code:

LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\decomb.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\Documents and Settings\default\My Documents\Rips\endless01.d2v")
Telecide()
Decimate(cycle=5)
crop(7,0,704,480)
BicubicResize(512,384,0.333,0.333)

I set the audio bitrates to 96kbps OGG audio for both audios (english and japanese) and extracted the subtitles through subrip.

The file came out under the wanted 175MBs. I got 170MBs, mostly because there's no bitrate calculator for OGM overhead. Sad

The quality came out great! If any of you have seen the Gundam Wing oav, you'll know it had a lot of high motion scenes. So there is still slight mosquito and _very_ slight block effect in high motion scenes which is fine with me. I got what I was shooting for. Thank you very much!

Now I just wish I had a faster computer, because my 1.2ghz was giving me 3-4fps in virtualdub, which resulted in 3hr40min passes. So we are talking over 7 hours. Neutral Now to do the other 2 episodes.
|-Shin-|

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Some tips that may improve speed Reply with quote

Smile

If you need some extra speed and are doing a 2-pass encode:

(Note that this takes a LOT of hard drive space)

I really like AVISynth + decomb (telecide + decimate); I usually get great results.

After all of the avisynth filters I find that re-encoding the file in Virtualdub as a "segmented AVI" with the Huffyuv codec will increase the speed because you are doing all of the filters only 1 time. If you're worried about quality loss, with huffyuv you lose no (or very close to zero) quality because it's a lossless codec. (It's basically doing a trick of making .bmp files and applying .zip compression.)

If you are using a 2-pass method of encoding on an .avs file without the pre-final you use a lot more time because the filters are run twice. On my Athlon XP 1600+, the huffyuv pre-final method typically reduces the encoding time by about 20-40%, but like I said the temp space needed is typically 7-30 GB for the pre-final encode for 1 ep (512x384 thru 640x480 resolutions).

I saw that you are using the MPEG2 plugin, which I've recently found to actually reduce time rather than my older method of adding another huffyuv stage with an MPEG2 decompressor.

Also, if you plan on trying a lot of different settings or codecs, the huffy pre-master works well. In the same time it took me to encode without the pre-master, I could encode in Divx 4 (2-pass), the old XVid (2-pass, don't use it anymore because I have probs with the new ones), and a few more codecs. Also, for me it had less problems with stability.

I'd recommend trying it first on a small piece of video to test if the speed increase is substantial enough for your system.
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have a FAT32 system. So I can't use Huffyuv. I don't mind the extra wait anyways. Plus, wouldn't encoding 3x (huffyuv then xvid 2x) equal about the same amount of time as 2x with avs? It doesn't matter much anyways, since I can't do it with a fat32 system. Neutral

BTW, it's more like compressing a bmp to png than jpg. Zip is an exterior compression. Wink

Oh yeah, as for under? I was wrong, I forgot I was actually shooting for 170MBs and not 175MBs, because I was planning on making episode 3 larger. Which in turn, I screwed up, because I made it 180 and forgot to add the extra 5 for it. Crying or Very sad That extra 5 would have made a difference. Oh well, don't feel like re-encoding a series I never was fond of in the first place.

What kind of problems do you have with XVID? The only problem I have is the latest builds when decoding an OGM with external VobSub files. They don't show up. So I just don't use the latest XVID. Mine is a few months old and works great.
sj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeonMcNichol wrote:
Unfortunately, I have a FAT32 system. So I can't use Huffyuv.

File->Save Segmented AVI

and then you can use Avisynth to symbolically link them together:

return AVISource(blah.00.avi).AviSource(blah.01.avi)

something like that (heh, if you have a 18-20gb huffy.. that'd be a pain Wink), anyhow -- although I use NTFS, I don't have anywhere near the HD space to encode it in huffy first.

Quote:
I don't mind the extra wait anyways. Plus, wouldn't encoding 3x (huffyuv then xvid 2x) equal about the same amount of time as 2x with avs?

Depends on what kind of filtering you do. Softening and cleaning filters slow down the encoding process A LOT. So especially if you like to finetune your actual encode, you WILL save a lot of time, because think about it -- I can do a straight 640x480 reencode (ie; a fansub I reencode because I don't like 200mb encodes that could easily be 140mb ;p) at about 30-35fps on my Athlon 1800+. So it takes me 30-45mins to do a 2pass encode on it.

Take most dvdrips, where you have to resize and deinterlace.. and most likely run smoothing filters on them to increase their compressibility .. my fps drop down to 5-15 easily when doing this.. 2-3 hours for two passes. I've even used someone's filter chain to help the compressibility of a game OP.. and it took 12 minutes.. for one pass, for a not even two minute video.

Now, if you encode it to HuffyYUV first, it'll only do the first pass at 5-15fps.. the next two it'll do at 30-35fps like a normal reencode. I won't bother doing the actual math, but chances are that you will shave atleast a few minutes off your encode time. You'll save even more if you're one who likes to tweak their encode, or one who would like to tweak their encode if it didn't take so bloody long. Wink

I believe you can also enable "Fast repack" mode when you have a huffy since you aren't running any virtualdub filters.. which should speed up the process even more.

Quote:
The file came out under the wanted 175MBs. I got 170MBs, mostly because there's no bitrate calculator for OGM overhead.

Er? From my little experience with OGM (I'm back to plain ol' AVI for now until OGM gets stabilized), it has little or no overhead (it's definitely no where near 5mb Wink). If I was shooting for a specific filesize, I encode my Vorbis at q0 and then (filesize - size Audio)*1.024 (XviD's filesize predictor thinks 1Kb=1000bytes, 1Mb=1000Kb, etc.. that's probably why you're undersized) to get my target video filesize. Rarely have I ever not hit my target without my own calculations being wrong.
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I corrected that. It _DID_ come out to the right size. I said I shaved off 5mbs so I can add it to episode 3, which in turn I forgot to add the 5 for it itself. Sad

Anyways, yes, I never use split up files, because I fear for audio sync problems.

I'm on a 1.2ghz, so with the filters I use, I get around 3-4fps, which I really don't mind. I don't remember what I can get for just 640x480. It's been so long and I IVTC all my anime with avs. So I get normally 6-8fps with that. As you can see, I only double my time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum