abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Canucks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I'm Canadian
Yes
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 16

xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Canucks Reply with quote

I'm just curious, as it seems like there's a disproportionate ratio of you guys in the Usenet anime circles at least.

A cultural thing? Or a technology thing (ie earlier/broader broadband deployment)?

-xo
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it's a issue of only being able to drink just so much lager, eat just so much back bacon, and play just so much hockey during the long winters those poor folks endure. They NEED anime to kill the time while snowed in. Twisted Evil

That assumes of course that there is a point at which you're too drunk to play hockey. (Is it possible to be too drunk to ice fish?) Wink
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold climate breeds nerds, maybe? High Asian immigrant population?

It surprises me too. It probably has a lot to do with how fast and how cheap cable and DSL broadband got rolled out in our (what passes for) cities. From what I hear, broadband services in The America cost more and also suck more.
Melchior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Gorunova there-- broadband's been pretty widely-available in Canada for years, and it's always been dirt-cheap compared to what I've read that Americans typically pay for broadband. Perhaps another thing is that AOL hasn't ever been particularly big in Canada...

...And then there are our winters-- much of Canada is snowed in, and here in Vancouver it typically pisses rain all winter. (of course, this isn't any excuse for the many american cities that are close enough to the border to have reasonably-similar weather conditions)
matt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "No" but then a few days ago someone told me that the residents of Michigan refer to Ohio (my state) as "Canada-Lite". Now, I have no idea why ohio would be refered to as that but it forces me to complain for lack of options.

New options:
1. Yes
2. No
3. I'm an Canadian-Lite

Razz
-matt
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: CDR prices up north? Reply with quote

Out of curiosity- I heard CDR blanks are a weeee bit pricey up north. What's the going rate? Is there a lot of "contraband" from the States? What's a poor anime junkie to do?

-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government has a 21-cent per disc levy that it applies to every disc we buy in Canada. We have to pay tax on both the cost of the discs, and on the levy, thanks to the way most retailers account for things. Bastards.

The cheapest discs you can find at computer stores around here (Vancouver), for the most part, is about CAD$18 for 50 discs. Better-quality discs (discs that'll last more than a few years) usually run closer to, say, CAD$37 for 50 Fuji CDRs (made in Japan).

I'm sure there are people who make trips down to the US to buy discs, or who order discs from the US over the web. Whenever I'm down in the US I make a point of stopping in somewhere to pick up blanks-- I don't go down to the US often, though. The best deals on disc brands that I buy (I'm *very* picky about my discs) usually require a US-only mail-in-rebate, which is why I don't go out of my way to buy discs in the US, and the main reason I don't buy them over the web. I'm considering renting a mailbox in Point Roberts, WA, so that I can make use of rebates, though...
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Move one vote from "no" to "yes". I dunno how that happened, but I swear the lower option was "yes" when I voted. The vertical hold must be failing in my eyes. Wink
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a spindle of 100 Taiyo Yuden CDR's from a computer store near my apartment for $29.99($34.49 with tax).

Less than 35 cents a disc. Best deal I've found yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Melchior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a sweet deal, NB-- do you know if that store has a website?
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, here it is: http://www1.oemexpress.com/

I just took a look and didn't see the ones I bought though. Maybe you have to ask for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum