abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

FAQ: Posting software

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: FAQ: Posting software Reply with quote

Hiya Gang:

I'm working on the FAQ today, between downs and during these useless halftimes Razz, and have run into a section that I need some assistance with. My only autoposter experience is with Power-Post 2000 so I'm going to need several things from y'all. Because I'm compiling all the info and rewriting it, none of the info really needs to be preformatted for the FAQ. All I really need is some good clear specifics.

First off, I need information about recommended settings for the various autoposters. I think this should get pretty specific, so there's no such thing as too much information on this one. I can edit out anything that's not necessary. Obviously allot of this information is already listed in this section so you can skip that.

Second, I need overviews of each of the common autoposters, for all OSes. Zen's webpage lists quite a few but, short of trying each, I don't have enough experience with any outside of PP2000, especially non-windows posters, to make this section all it should be.

I do not currently need anything outside of this scope of posting software itself (such as subject lines, etc.). Most of the remainder of the posting section is already written for this revision.

As I mentioned, some of this info is already in the existing FAQ and some in the annotations. Anything beyond that will be appreciated (and credited, of course).

Thanks,
Keikai
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll write up a bit on using newspost under Linux...

I also had another idea for the posting section of the FAQ- how about a "Poster's checklist", to provide a very concise list of things to do if you're going to post. For example:

1. Check animeusenet and/or ask group if appropriate
2. Select the most appropriate group
3. Generate RARs
4. Generate pars, sfv, and nfo
5. Devise an effective subject line (PP2K example here)
6. Post sfv and nfo first
7. Then post main rars
8. Post PARS last

or something like that. Maybe each of these would be linked & detailed further down in the faq section.

Just an idea- might help out those with short attention spans/eager to get posting Smile

-xo
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
I also had another idea for the posting section of the FAQ- how about a "Poster's checklist", to provide a very concise list of things to do if you're going to post.

Aye, good plan. This is in line with some of my plans to write up a few concise guides to various activities and stick them in a nice prominent place for the impatient. Razz

As for the newspost guide, thanks, that'll definately help. Also are there any other linux posters that deserve mention? Or is that pretty much all that gets used?
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Poster's Checklist" seems like a good idea. A quick reference for the ADD aflicted. Wink

1. Check animeusenet and/or ask group if appropriate
2. Select the most appropriate group
3. Generate RARs (Note/Link about most common prefered settings like 'split to volumes: [sane volume sizes]', 'compression method: store', 'archiving options: put recovery record[sane %]', 'file paths: do not store paths'?)
4. Generate pars, sfv, and nfo (Note/Link about not adding non-data files to the par set or setting them as non-recoverable.)
5. Devise an effective subject line (PP2K example here) (Note/Link about sane UUE/yEnc line counts?)
6. Refresh headers for target group just before starting post to double check someone else hasn't started posting the same file? (Many pack/queue and post later on so a double check is a good idea IMO.)
7. Post sfv and nfo first (Note/Link about 0 file with sfv instead of/along with separate nfo?)
8. Then post main rars
9. Post PARS last

Linking each to sections of the FAQ with further details where applicable would be a good way to go so that the list stays uncluttered.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:

7. Then post main rars

To further obsess/compulse over this, if using the old style rar names, the .rar should go first, then r00, r01, etc. No one seems to make the effort for this anymore though.

Fortunately, with the new style names, the first part (part01.rar) is usually posted first.

The rationale is that if the rar is first, I can grab it and maybe a few of the next ones and unrar a portion to check out encode quality/content/etc, without having to wait for the entire file to be posted.

-xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Site Stuff All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum