abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Encoding SVCD audio problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxJenius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Encoding SVCD audio problems Reply with quote

Hi all... Since I got a SVCD playing DVD player this X-Mas, I've been converting files so I can watch 'em on the telly... Here's my question.

Often my final file, the audio sounds dreadful. I'm using TMPEG for the encoding, and Nero for the burning. I learned the hard way to not change the frame rate and create a border so I could read the subtitles.

Any suggestions on improving the audio? (I'm dreading the answer will be... Extract the audio into an uncompress wave file first)

Which reminds me, I have one other question. I burn the resultant SVCDs to a CDRW, and I get about a 50/50 successful burn. In other words, I have to test the burn first to make sure it works before I destroy the SVCD file (damn things take up too much space) And the usual case is the second time is usually the charm. I seem to have a bit higher success rate when burning to CDRs.

My second question is, is it because of my choice of media? Should I try a lower burn speed? (The burn speed for these CDRWs is 12X) Is 12x too slow?

Any other suggestions on improving burn results for SVCDs?
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With TMPGEnc, there is a way to add an external audio encoder, called tooLame. Just be careful, it tends to crash. So if you queue up a lot and step away, you may come back to an error screen saying it needs to shut down and you didn't do anything. Alternatively, I'd suggest extract to wav and encode with besweet and encode the video seperately and merge with bbMPEG. Very Happy This of course can be done with DVD2SVCD by itself. (If the framerate is standard. 23.976,25.000,29.970)

As for your burning, you need to lower the rate. 4x is a good speed for vcd/svcds. I would recommend trying at different rates. 2x,4x,8x,12x. Just to see which speed is best suited for your dvd player. Media _CAN_ play a role in burning/playback as well. Oh and when you burn, I'd suggest you use VCDEasy to at least make the cue/bin file.
MaxJenius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... lots to try... In your experience what way is the fastest?

I've never been too fond of the cue/bin CD imaging, but I'll give VCDEasy a shot. The brief look I took of the program looks pretty cool.
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD2SVCD is nice, because it's an all in one tool, that uses the best of each. It can use TMPGEnc or CCE as the encoder. If you do use DVD2SVCD and are making 24-30 minute episodes, don't forget to change the bitrate tab to 400, instead of 800.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with making cue/bin files other than having to take up twice the amount of space. The nice thing about vcdeasy though, is you can chapter it. I'd recommend doing this when you chapter. [/url]
MaxJenius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowch... my computer just barfed when I tried to burn using VCD Easy. It's probably due to some setting I didn't set. I think I'll stick with Nero since that is what I know best. I'll keep VCD Easy for generating the chaptered bin/cue files though.

My problem with trying to chapter files is that I'm often converting shows I haven't seen yet, and to search for chapter points only will cause me to spoil the fun due to the fact that I have to seek the video for good chapter points.

*sigh*
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care about spoiling the show when I chapter, it's trying to find the damn comercial break image that I hate. I don't know where it is and seeking doesn't help. Confused As for burning... Well, I could never get VCDEasy to burn for me, so I generate the cue/bins and burn with Nero too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum