abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

DVD burners and such...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were left up to me, I'd suggest to disallow DVDR posts altogether-- it seems (to me) that they go against my idea of what this group's about-- the efficient distribution of anime.

After all, DVDs sure as hell aren't an efficient way of storing data, and if you *need* DVD quality, then really the DVD's what you should have...

IMO, anyway.

(I like Zanson's suggestiong of posting in a.b.dvdr and leaving a note in ABA/ABMA)
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I hadn't even paid any attention to the format of that Trigun post (have the dvd so I just tended to block it out), and just really noticed it much today on seeing the messages about its PAR problems.

Keikai, I'd like to tell 'em to go elsewhere, but right now I'd have to basically take the same approach I do to full SVCD single day flood posts, just calling their attention to the daily limit I usually suggest ~400M. But, I agree, it sure isn't *efficient*, but I hate to push them into abav either; DVDR needs its own group. As it is, besides a lack of efficiency, it tends to turn us into a true warez group as opposed to the gray (well, it is to me anyway) area we work in now. Maybe turning that *gray* to *black* should be the argument against the posts -- it would certainly make us more of a target for isp hit lists.

(inc)

PS -- for better or worse, I just took the time to post my concerns to the poster in abma
deoch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree.. When you get to something that size (especially a copy of a region-1), it's best to have them in a separate group. I've heard that animation dvds show up on a sparse basis in alt.binaries.dvd though.. so maybe they should just be posted there.
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just suggested to Shaxs that his future dvdr's go into ab.dvdr, with a notice in aba/abma. ab.dvd and ab.dvdr seem to both be chartered (didn't read them though) and are on all 3 of my servers (local RR, Newscene & Easynews), but, right now ab.dvdr seems to be very under-utilized by comparision, with about ΒΌ the posts of ab.dvd. All the main posts in it, at least on my low retention RR server, also seem to have been x-posted with ab.dvd. Sounds like a group to target, at least until someone bothers to make an ab.dvdr.anime, or some-such.

Hope I didn't step on too many toes here by posting this in aba/abma -- I tried to make it clear there that this was just my personal opinion and not group policy. I just dreaded seeing 3 or 4 of these things coming down at once... Razz

(inc)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think me and inc have been talking about this issue in abma a bit, but here's a good discussion too.

Per my opinions, I agree with most regulars in saying that DVD images don't really belong in aba or abma, but should goto a respective DVD image group. Would it necessarily be against the FAQ if they decided to post in 400 meg chunks as has been suggested? No, but other unspoken rules would be broken, such as benefiting the greatest number of people, and the issue of piracy.

Aside from actually incorporating into the FAQ a strict "Do NOT post DVD images here", the next step to try first is a section with general populace stance on certain matters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was announced at the end of January, but Plextor's version is finally due out next week (March 10) at $300 retail (~$50 less then the Sony DRU500AX):
http://www.plextor.com/english/products/504A.html

I've been trying to find out if it is based on the NEC oem ND-1100A.

(inc)
Keikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there is a big difference in that as far as I can tell it doesn't support DVD-R(W) in addition to DVD+R(W) which is a big selling point for the Sony and Pioneer drives.

That said, I've also always been a Plextor fanatic and have owned many of their SCSI drives. My 12/4/32 SCSI Plexwriter is still going strong after several years and ~2000 CD-R burns. It's a _fantasic_ drive. I can't adequately express my admiration for this drive and it's engineers. Unfortunately, I withdrew from Plextor a bit once they made SCSI the afterthought when it was the interface that they became renowned for. Also, they, like most other companies, still have cyclical quality issues. I remember when I upgraded from my Plextor 12/20 SCSI reader to a 32x Plextor SCSI reader, I was having troubles and called their tech support. The rep actually said to me, and I paraphrase, "Why would you replace the 12/20? It's a much better drive." Not the kind of thing you like to hear after spending $180 on a CD reader. Razz Safe to say that sucker got sent back to Buycomp the next day. Razz
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, no DVD-R(W) apparently. Guess it depends if that is worth ~$50 or so. But my Plextors have always outlasted my other drives (Sony, Nec...) by a factor of about 3x, so I'm always hesitant to go elsewhere.

Quote:
"Why would you replace the 12/20? It's a much better drive."
Now that _is_ funny. Razz

(inc)
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ruined my plextor with crappy imation blanks :(
I'd say its worth it mainly because DVD-R's are much less expensive than DVD+R. But of course things do change, so I'll say that I said that at this time, so don't coming moseying at my statements in the future! Anyway, I like my Riteks much, as don't let their craptacular cd-rs fool you, their DVD-R's are gold.

Something's gonna be coming next week when I come back from break :))

Keikai knows what it is already, but its up to him if he wants to share the info :P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum