abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Posts data : year ending 2003-03-31

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Posts data : year ending 2003-03-31 Reply with quote

The latest data analysis is up at : http://abma.x-maru.org/~xo/plots.

Most significant trend: continued uptrend of ABMAR numbers since the begin-of-year debates. Notice that the ABA and ABMA numbers are pretty flat and mirror each other for the most recent two months other than a spike in late Feb/early Mar, which I would attribute to a unusual flood if I wasn't too lazy to go confirm it.

Projections: ABMAR will flatten soon, or at least slow down to the "normal" rates as seen in the other groups. It just can't go on (else, I'm quitting my job at animeusenet.org Wink ).

-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty data, xo!

I find it interesting to see how closely ABA and ABMA follow each other. I also find it interesting that on the whole, the number of posts logged hasn't increased since a year ago, ignoring seasonal spikes.

Most interesting, though, is (as you mentioned) the continuous rise of ABMAR. Jeez, you could practically drawn a straight-line fit on that graph! Amazing! I wonder if any NSPs will ever label ABMAR a "problem" newsgroup, and restrict/remove it... (nah, proably not, if they're simply allocating groups a bunch at a time).

Perhaps the reason that ABA/ABMA haven't experienced a significant increase in posts over the last year is because ABMAR has stolen some of the action! (I think that in megabyte count, however, ABA/ABMA have increased in volume-- with most of the series that I'm downloading these days, I can only fit 3 eps per CD, as opposed to 4 last year, and 5-6 the previous year. sigh.)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABA and ABMA follow each other because people still crosspost ;P

I think abmar went up in a huge spike mainly because so many people that are doing full reposts of old series... once those are finished it should drop drastically... (mahoromatic, angelic layer, slayers, iketero futari/hanaukyo maid tai, jungle wa guu, full moon, azumanga to name a few)
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
once those are finished it should drop drastically
Hehe.... No, they'll just start posts of (some guesses from long experience) Macross 7, NGE (for the 23rd time), all the Slayers movies, Kenshin (yet again Razz), every Gundum, WHR, Lost Universe, Initial D, all the El Hazards, Lain (sub for once), City Hunter, Gravitation...blah, blah, blah....

In fact there has been a little more (only partially successful) effort put into having people post the appropriate series in abmar -- it's increase in volume is not totally an *accident*.

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ararargh, I would scream if I see them waste bw with overposted, terrible series like nge, macross 7, initial d, gundam, or gravitation

And what is it with the posting of 150-180MB files that have are like 300x200 reso?
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
And what is it with the posting of 150-180MB files that have are like 300x200 reso?

It's a step in the right direction. I'm sick of seeing 250+MB wasted on half-hour episodes. If you want that kind of video quality, buy the damn DVDs!
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed what I think is a decrease in file sizes as well- too bad that data doesn't exist to bear this out (the data I plot is *number* of posts). I think about a year ago, there was a widespread trend towards 230-ish MB files (3 per disc) but things have gotten a lot better over the past, say, 6 months. 175 MB is the more common now, it seems, and I'm seeing even a return to the 140 or even 115 MB range for some series (Mouse and MTNTNK come to mind).

I imagine it has more to do with the ever changing codec scene, but maybe the fansub groups heard the outcries and have reduced their target file sizes accordingly.

-xo
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse was only 15 mins long though, it should be a short file. MTNTNK was done by r-b, who are really good at keeping their size down.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
Mouse was only 15 mins long

Aah, that explains it. Goes to show how much watchin' I do Wink.

-xo
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, its just mindless fanservice anyways - you didn't miss much ;P
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
I have noticed what I think is a decrease in file sizes as well-

I've noticed a slight downward trend too. I attribute it without proof to the newer encoders getting the hang of things and starting to optimize.

It's nice. I hope to see more of it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum