abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

What's your favorite (Windows) Media Player?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite (Windows) Media Player?
Microsoft Media Player
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
DivX Player (Divx codec standard player)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Sasami2K
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Zoom Player
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
BSPlayer
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other?
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Logun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - so many still use WMP6.4. I must admit that I stayed with it myself cos you could change the audio channels on VCD's but not with 7. Still use 6.4 for just about everything except mp3's. I guess for me it's old and comfortable Surprised
Keikai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keikai's Personal Preference Update:

Thanks to this thread I am now a VERY happy ZoomPlayer user. I now use it for almost everything and really adore it. Takes quite a while to get through all the options...which is great. Not a whole lot of things make me happier than a good piece of software with more options than I need! Razz

It's not geared specifically for subtitles like Sasami, but, with the advancements made in DVobSub, I find I'm missing Sasami less and less. Few people bother with soft subs anyways these days. Sad

So calc the tally WMP -1 ZP +1. Wink
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second everything Keikai said. Since my earlier post, I've completely switched to Zoom and haven't looked back. Hasn't choked on a single file, ridiculously configurable, and superconvenient keyboard controls. Thanks Onakra for bringing it some attention.

-xo
Onakra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ZoomPlayer myself more then ever, but somehow still use Sasami2K as well. I really like that one despite it's shortcomings. One of the benefits of ZP also is that the development of that player is still ongoing and updated quite often.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I oughtta give this ZoomPlayer a look-see.
ensui

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, wow! This is what I get for being AWOL. I just recently discovered ZoomPlayer, and have been totally amazed. I usually stuck with WMP 6.4 because I have sub-GHz systems so performance is a major issue with me, especially now that DivX5 is dominating a lot of recent posts. Recent Xvid builds seem less optimized than DivX5.02/3, which is annoying for me. >.< All the other players seem to emphasize skins and features--naw, just skins--at the cost of performance. There was also the cost of good intuitive controls, tho I don't see how. o.O

However, WMP6.4 still choked on some of the higher bitrate stuff. I was impressed to see that most of that choking disappeared when I switched to ZP. One tip site actually mentioned that it might be lighter than WMP6.4, which I found incredible, but then again, M$ isn't exactly known to have efficient code. o.O

Anyways, I'm really happy with ZP. (There's a minor issue with not being able to set the video to 50%--because my TV-out res is smaller than the area of the player controls when the video is at 640x480--but i've learned to deal with it.) I wish I knew about it sooner.

(Well, I'm prolly going to go back into hiding after then next post I make, so... great to "see" you guys again! ^_~ )
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ensui,
Quote:
Recent Xvid builds seem less optimized than DivX5.02/3, which is annoying for me. >.<
Off topic, but since you mentioned it, how about those 200M+ Akazukin ChaCha Xvid posts with all the quality of a 3 year old 90M ASF. I don't usually criticize posts, but I just can't help but wonder just what they are thinking Rolling Eyes ....(and if the poster shows here, you're welcome to flame away)....

(inc)
zanson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Winamp 3 as my player for awhile because I liked the play list. But I got tired of all the stuff with it using the wrong filters, and color shifting any xvid files. I then found ZoomPlayer like many others in this thread..

Playlists, configurable shortcut keys, including using the mouse scroll wheel to skip ahead. And if you really want to get fancy with it you can preprogram a the chain of direct show filters to use for a file instead of using the default.

If you haven't tried ZoomPlayer yet you should. I sugest getting a beta build from the forums, as the betas have a lot of nice features.
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I sugest getting a beta build from the forums, as the betas have a lot of nice features
Just noting that the 3.00 beta 6 build does not have the dvd playback functions operational -- of course I suspect that 99% of the folks here would be using it primarily as a media player anyway, so that's probably not a major issue.

(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since this poll, and I've sinced moved on from using VirtualDub to Media Player Classic. Google for "vobsub" to find the homepag e of it.

I tried out ZoomPlayer but found it to be overwhelming (to say the least), and ugly. I like MPC because, as the name implies, it's modelled after WMP 6.4 and it plays quicktime and realmedia files provided you have them installed somewhere. It's also a lot easier to use.
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Been a long time since this poll, and I've sinced moved on from using VirtualDub to Media Player Classic.
I use MPC as a good backup for ZoomPlayer, for those circumstances where ZP chokes on bad or damaged encodes.
Anonymous wrote:
I tried out ZoomPlayer but found it to be overwhelming (to say the least), and ugly.
I used to hate the look of ZoomPlayer and, luckily, it is skinnable. I used a WMP-simulated skin for a while until the 2.90 release which now has an absolutely beautiful default skin that is layed out like WMP but is a bit "prettier". Generally looks are low in my priorities, but I had to admit that old brown skin was indeed hideous. v2.90 really solved that.
Anonymous wrote:
It's also a lot easier to use.
The "guts" of ZoomPlayer aren't really for the faint of heart, but it works fine without tweaking, IMO. Again, in partcular, to the simlified interface of the new default skin. (The brushed aluminum looking one.)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum