abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Anime I've never watched
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Anime I've never watched Reply with quote

Well, there's a lot that I haven't watched, but what I'm really getting at is the anime that I *should've* watched.

Stuff that people feel are best-of-class or reference points of their respective genres. Stuff like Ranma (I suppose - I've never watched it!), KOR, Maison Ikkoku, Rurouni Kenshin, NGE (which I have watched and hated, but that's irrelevant to my point).

My own list of anime I think people should watch includes something by Studio Ghibli, Cowboy Bebop, Lain, the original Macross, Escaflowne, perhaps a little Tenchi, and Azumanga Daioh.

* Ghibli : because of its superior artsmanship
* Bebop: because of its quality writing, superb character development, and high production values
* Lain: because its representation of the whole techno-fetishist genre, its non-Western story development
* Macross: because I think it really opened anime (and not just the kiddy kind) to the US
* Escaflowne: because it's best-of-breed for the schoolgirl-whisked-off-to-magical-lands genre and it was interesting even for a guy
* Tenchi: because it's the best known of the 1-guy-surrounded-by-many-girls genre
* Azumanga Daioh: because it is GOOD

Kind of a goofy list (didn't care much for Lain, and I'm not a fan of the Tenchi series), but hey, I don't watch enough. And I tend to shy away from anything with mecha in it nowadays.

So tell me, what anime belongs on the list of "If you are a fan of anime, you will have watched XXX"?

And no, I don't consider this a serious topic, so have some fun with it. I leave it vague for that purpose.

-xo
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a must-watch list for potential converts. I do have a list of really good series that I try to match against what I know of the person's tastes.

But my personal definitive list is defined by the series I first watched. I started out renting anime on VHS from a place that had a really good selection. So for me, the primordial anime series are:

Slayers
Evangelion
Ranma 1/2
Saber Marionette J
Tenchi Muyo

And to a lesser degree:

Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku
Key the Metal Idol
Serial Experiments Lain
Rurouni Kenshin

Obviously I've seen a lot of even better series since, but those first five were the ones that made the biggest impression on me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astroboy...
Doraemon...
Record of Lodoss..

and the more recent, Battle of the Stars series.
superjaded

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anime I've never watched Reply with quote

xo wrote:

* Lain: because its representation of the whole techno-fetishist genre, its non-Western story development

I'll have to add that as well as anything else related to yoshitoshi ABe -- namely Haibane Renmei (a beautiful series and rather the opposite of Lain) and NieA Under 7 (to a lesser extent admittedly, although I still love the series for some reason).. and I'm sure I'll have to add Texhnolyze to the list in a few days/weeks after it starts airing.

Crest of the Stars and company: an anime set in space? no (blatant) fanservice? amazing! Awesome storytelling and character development.

Boogiepop Phantom: because everyone needs to rack their brain every once in a while (to figure out what's going on Wink).

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou: THE best Gainax series. Ever. (yes, even better than Eva ya damn fanboy Wink)

Mahoromatic (s1): One of the few over-the-top fanservice shows that somehwat successfully attempts a plot.. I can't say much for the second season, however.

Anything CLAMP (not including Chobits and X the movie): because they're well.. CLAMP.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anime I've never watched Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:

Crest of the Stars and company

This one comes up a lot for me - I tend to avoid anything involving robots, space, or military plot lines nowadays but CoTS just won't be ignored, it seems. Anyone else feel like singing its praises and convincing me to check it out?

superjaded wrote:

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou: THE best Gainax series. Ever. (yes, even better than Eva ya damn fanboy Wink)

I loved KareKano as well - it's easily in my top 5 all time. I hesitated to put it on a "must watch" list, though as I thought it the kind of production that some would hate and other than representing the Gainax way of doing things (in which case, FLCL might be a "safer" pic), I couldn't think of another compelling reason to include it (though I wanted to Smile ).

superjaded wrote:

Anything CLAMP (not including Chobits and X the movie): because they're well.. CLAMP.

Aye, good call. Does the X series represent the CLAMP genre well? I haven't had much opportunity to see much else yet.

-xo
snoopynme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest of the Stars is based on a political novel, hence, the great storytelling (well, great directing, art, etc, aside).

A must watch would be Juuni Kokki~! Actually, I really disliked the first 5 or 6 episodes of the series, then I fell in love with it from 6 or 7 up. I almost gave up watching the series since there wasn't a single character I was able to like in it... until after around episode 6... This is another one based on a novel. The narration is superb. The storytelling is one of the best so far. Will definitely be sad when this series comes to an end.

Of the new series out this season, I'd have to say my favourite one would have to be "Stellvia". As for why D.N.Angel is so popular, I can only guess, as I found "E's" more appealing in comparison (a mix of Tokyo Underground and, in a way, Scryed, imo). Narue, so far, isn't very exciting either *ducks and hides from offended fans*.

Of course, Slayers is the all-time favourite (I still need to finish watching the 2nd & 3rd seasons, then there are the movies...). Wonder when they'll be releasing the rest of the movies on DVD. Mad
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes... I really grew to like Juuni Kokki as I was unsure in the first few eps as well, but I think its come along great.

And, imo, D.N.Angel is weak. Whats with all these "gotta steal things but leave notes to warn people before so they can try to catch me" stories? And doesn't that detective look exactly like the one from Mouse? Maybe it's just that I hated Mouse so much and can't get past this shows plot, but it doesn't look all that great. The story just seems too weak. Ok and I wanted to ask... how come the first night he transforms he has Dark's body but is still himself, and the next time he transforms it's Dark's mind & body... I know Dark said something like, "I'll take it from here," when he was being attacked, but I don't really understand why it was perm. (I'll skip critiquing why he changes ;p)

And I'd watch a RahXephon over NGE any day =x If theres one thing in an anime that I can't stand it's the "unbelievably whiny" characters.
snoopynme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha!! I'll have to agree with the Mouse/Rah/Eva/whiny bit ^.^;;

I got bored watching D.N.Angel, too, but I did like the very end bit of episode 1. Still, watching episode 2 didn't make me want to watch more even... Actually, I stopped it part way into episode 2 and just moved on to another anime...

Hey! Nothing's wrong with advance notices! I loved Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I suppose KKJ wasn't the first to do that either, nor the last. The cop in D.N.Angel reminds me of the father/cop in KKJ, not sure about Dark's resemblance to Mouse. But Mouse is one series I stopped collecting and deleted after the first couple of episodes. But argh! I still burnt the first episode when I was undecided & needed a cd filler Mad

Another one that I heard only good about would be "Last Exile" but I have yet to watch it. I think there are only about 6 episodes planned? Not entirely sure on that one, but given that "Blue Sub No.6" and "Battle Fairy Yukikaze" are both short short series, I wouldn't be surprised about "Last Exile" following the same route.
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this thread has some-what shifted to new series... I've watched the first ep of 6 of 'em.

D.N.Angel, Stellvia of the Universe (is that a mech at the end of ep 1... :P), E's Otherwise and Narue no Sekai weren't that bad (nothing at the Mouse level), but didn't seem that particularly good off of one episode either. I'll give all of them another episode or two anyway.

Two I've seen would seem to have real possibilities. Both are
post-apocoliptic with seemingly strong story-lines AND NOT PARTLY SET IN
SOME SCHOOL LIKE ALL THE ABOVE, but that's as far as the simialarities go: Scrapped Princess and Last Exile (isn't that art design very similar to the Cannonfodder segment of Memories?!?).

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrapped Princess did look good, I'm on the fence for Last Exile though, I agree it has potential, though. That one scene kinda bothered me when they first flew by the fleet, they only reported some 27% losses but everyone except that one guy that was praying to not get shot was dead.

D.N.Angel was the worst of them, imo, but again, that comes mostly from having watched Mouse and seeing similarities that I wish I hadn't seen.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrapped Princess looks interesting. I haven't made up my mind about E's Otherwise yet, and I'm also going to give Narue another episode or two before deciding - love her hair though! Smile

The other new ones I haven't checked out yet.

As for Eva characters being whiny, I thought that was the whole point! When I first watched Evangelion, for the first half of the series or so I was watching it as a giant robot series with some interesting enemies, but then I realized that the mechs and the battles are only the setting for the story - the real story is about how fragile and screwed up humans can be, especially in a conflict setting.

It's that sort-of-misleading aspect of Eva that I really like. It goes with Boogiepop and Lain in the category of series that make you think a little.
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva was about a whole lot of stuff, but they didn't grow at all... Shinji stayed a whiny little brat and I wanted to strangle him almost everytime he spoke because I knew it was going to be a whine about something. Child or not, the fact that he became nothing of a person really put me off. Whine, whine, whine... and in the end when (stuff happened) he was still the weak little nothing that he always was and he didn't learn a damn thing.

I really just wanted to scream "stfu, and get in the Eva before I smack you!"

=P

Lain I put way above NGE... And I would watch Boogiepop Phantom but I only have the first 6 eps and I like to wait til I have the whole series ;P

edited to make it friendly on those that haven't seen Eva (are there such people? =p)

Last edited by Kai-Jinn on Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anime I've never watched Reply with quote

xo wrote:
This one comes up a lot for me - I tend to avoid anything involving robots, space, or military plot lines nowadays but CoTS just won't be ignored, it seems. Anyone else feel like singing its praises and convincing me to check it out?

CotS is a definite watch-me. It hooked me on the first episode-- it's narrated in an interesting manner, and the dialogue was well-written as well. It's not the quickest-progressing anime out there, but that's part of its charm-- it gives you enough time to get to know and like the characters. CotS is easily on my top-ten list, and the sequels (Banner of the Stars I/II) are just as intriguing.
snoopynme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn! Aren't those *gasp* spoilers?? Shocked

Not that I care as far as Eva goes anyway... Wink

hehe, and yes, I do believe I've been posting completely off topic Shocked
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited it, =P
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum