abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Co-downloading or CD trading, anybody?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Trades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
Actually most of those external USB drives ARE just regular hard drives in an enclosure with some USB logic in it.
Yep, but under the right conditions (using 2+ drives) the enclosure+internal HDDs would be more cost effective. I suppose you could break into those external units and try to swap drives, but they probably put some hardware in there to prevent that. (If they were smart, anyways.)
Gorunova wrote:
and I can't afford to buy any more drives right now.
Can't help you there Wink
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
Gorunova, if interested, I can also get us some (relatively) cheap blank CDs-- I've got a mailbox in Point Roberts now, so I can get cheap CDRs from the US without paying the bastardly CDR levy-- Fuji CDs normally run about CAD$60 or so for 100 discs including taxes and shipping charges. (and sometimes less, if there's a mail-in rebate, but so far Fuji hasn't been all that good at refunding my rebates...). Other brands of CDs can be cheaper (or even free, after mail-in-rebates).

Sounds like a good deal. I'd be up for that.

As for CDRs versus a hard disk - if it's just the two of us, the hard disk might be better. That way we're each burning the CDRs the way we like, not the way we guess the other person likes.

I've got an old machine... wait. Nuts! I just realized that machine might not be able to handle a large hard drive. It's a P75 with 24MB RAM and Win95. It's the only networkable machine I have with a free IDE port - at least I think it has a free IDE port. Confused

I dunno. Do you think it's possible to access a 60GB drive from such a beast?
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
Melchior wrote:
Gorunova, if interested, I can also get us some (relatively) cheap blank CDs-- I've got a mailbox in Point Roberts now, so I can get cheap CDRs from the US without paying the bastardly CDR levy-- Fuji CDs normally run about CAD$60 or so for 100 discs including taxes and shipping charges. (and sometimes less, if there's a mail-in rebate, but so far Fuji hasn't been all that good at refunding my rebates...). Other brands of CDs can be cheaper (or even free, after mail-in-rebates).

Sounds like a good deal. I'd be up for that.

Mmmkay, next time I see Fujis on for a good deal, I'll pick up a couple hundred of them. Unless you would rather go for a different brand, that is...

Quote:
As for CDRs versus a hard disk - if it's just the two of us, the hard disk might be better. That way we're each burning the CDRs the way we like, not the way we guess the other person likes.

I've got an old machine... wait. Nuts! I just realized that machine might not be able to handle a large hard drive. It's a P75 with 24MB RAM and Win95. It's the only networkable machine I have with a free IDE port - at least I think it has a free IDE port. :?

I dunno. Do you think it's possible to access a 60GB drive from such a beast?

Hmmm, I doubt you'll be able to access the 60G drive from that machine-- the drive does have a jumper that'll let you cripple it to 30GB, I think. That might work. I think I've also got an old 6.4G drive collecting dust around here somewhere, though it might be a little on the small side.

Is that P75 machine the only one you've got with a spare IDE port? Do you have another machine with a configuration that would let you disconnect a drive and hook the 60G drive in its place temporarily? (eg, a system with a CD-ROM and CD burner, disconnect one CD drive and stick the 60G in its place...
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
Mmmkay, next time I see Fujis on for a good deal, I'll pick up a couple hundred of them. Unless you would rather go for a different brand, that is...

Well, I still prefer the colored Cursors but the Fuji disks you use seem OK.

Melchior wrote:
Is that P75 machine the only one you've got with a spare IDE port? Do you have another machine with a configuration that would let you disconnect a drive and hook the 60G drive in its place temporarily? (eg, a system with a CD-ROM and CD burner, disconnect one CD drive and stick the 60G in its place...

Well, the burn station does have the whole second IDE controller free, but it's a slimline case with only enough room for 2 drives, which are both needed. I'd have to see if I can run a power cord and IDE cable out the back of the case somehow. I'll get back to you by email once I've had a chance to look at it.
Melchior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple notes:

1) Staples has a good deal going on Fuji blank CDs right now. A 50-pack of Fuji "colour" CDs costs $20 after mail-in rebate. Price is $35 with a $15 rebate. Cheap, cheap, cheap! Apparently Staples has limited stock to 150 spindles per store. The mail-in rebate has a limit of two per household.

2) I've just ordered some stuff from Computer Geeks. Among them, inspired by the talk here of external stuff, are a couple of these guys:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210
External-ish harddrive capacity like this is *perfect* for some of my needs. Does your machine with the spare IDE port have a spare 5.25" drive bay? If that works, then great. Else we can do our trade with CDRs or something.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
2) I've just ordered some stuff from Computer Geeks. Among them, inspired by the talk here of external stuff, are a couple of these guys:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210
External-ish harddrive capacity like this is *perfect* for some of my needs. Does your machine with the spare IDE port have a spare 5.25" drive bay? If that works, then great. Else we can do our trade with CDRs or something.

The link just gets me "server too busy" right now, but I can guess what it is. No, that machine only has one 5.25" bay and it's occupied with the CDR drive.

Really a USB drive would be the best solution. I just wish I had a second one available. I got this one for $300ish at Costco a while back - not sure if they have any more, and my membership has expired.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
Really a USB drive would be the best solution.

I don't know if it's something you've seen already or not but remembering this thread I saw this review the other day on Tom's. Bit expencive IMO but for a portable external device with good capacity I guess it's pretty nice. No clue what other companies in the hd business are offering though.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaughnCynic wrote:
I don't know if it's something you've seen already or not but remembering this thread I saw this review the other day on Tom's.

Neat. I would never buy a WD product, but I know some other companies are coming out with the same sort of thing. At that price it's almost a viable alternative to CDRs for long-term storage - and better, because it's infinitely rewritable and much more compact that the equivalent number of CDRs.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Trades All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum