abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Par2 and new posting style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xo wrote:
The problem arises when internally, par2 reads in the list of expected files from the PAR2 file above, then hex encodes certain characters - for example the [=5B and ]=5D, then looks for files with these characters in them. Obviously, the filenames aren't hex encoded on my file system and it reports zero files found. Duh for them. Here's a sample of the output:

Code:

Target: "5BInfusion5D20Hajime20No20Ippo20-2063.part01.rar" - missing.

That's pretty screwed up. Why would anybody URLencode a filename unless it was supposed to be fetched via HTTP?

As for the EasyNews file renaming thing: Boo hoo. I always have to do that. Smile
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

That's pretty screwed up. Why would anybody URLencode a filename unless it was supposed to be fetched via HTTP?

I know! Exactly my thought!

Although, it isn't quite urlencoded as I've been calling it as it doesn't do the percent sign thing, but still!

Gorunova wrote:

As for the EasyNews file renaming thing: Boo hoo. I always have to do that. Smile

I'd gotten into the habit of grabbing the little .PAR file just to fix the file names. Seems like whenever I finally get settled into things, there's an upheaval. About a week or two ago, I started using a method of automatically repairing/checking downloads and unraring them once a batch of downloads completes (possible now that I have a bigger drive).

It was working OK (still too highly variable what can happen), and saved me some time (why not have the computer do that while I'm sleeping, neh?) but now it's going all to hell in a handbasket.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the anecdotal messages in the groups and Orqy's, it seems that PAR2 crosses a threshold in its usage where its performance goes from 30-50% slower than PAR (in other words, tolerable) to...well, totally in the tank. Is this a function of the size of the amount to be recovered, the fragementation of what is being recovered, the amount of available RAM vs the amount of its workspace that has to be cached, or the speed & type of CPU (...or...if I thought a bit, I bet I could add half a dozen more...)? Probably a mix of all of them, but I'm really wondering about what damage fragmentation would do to the time of recover; that if the damage is spread though-out the *virtual* blocks in scattered bits and pieces, there might be a significant increase in the amount of data that would have to be cached over what you'd get if the damage was of the same amount but all in one contiguous area. Just a currently untested thought...

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really had a problem with speed... most it ever took to check and repair was about 7-10 mins and that was because I was doing stuff in the background. Most times I just stop whatever else I am doing and let it repair and it works fine/quickly. I download partials though, I don't make it repair an entire lost rar file which is what I think other people are doing because they are used to using the old par system. I have a fairly mid-level PC as well, so I don't think its working well because my computer is faster.

What is kind of annoying is that it doesn't clean up after itself, leaving all this junk in the directory that consumes quite a bit of MB after a few repairs.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping my eye on the performance issue based on other's comments but I haven't yet seen a recover take more than a minute or three on my 1 GHz Duron. I'm using the Linux command-line version, of course, so I wonder if 1 hour recovers are not an inherent problem with just Quickpar...

Or maybe I've just been lucky.

-xo
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Par2 is starting to spread into many other binaries groups, and I've had to use it a few times. My major complaints about it are all pretty much QuickPar based, so eventually when someone gets around to writing a good tool, it'll be as good as the original par.

My problems are that
1. QuickPar does not save the state of checked files, which means that I cannot check one day's downloads without rechecking it the next day.
2. QuickPar does not monitor downloads like FSRaid does, which means I can't leave QuickPar running and set up huge downloads.
3. There's no way to gauge how many blocks you need, or even if there are enough blocks posted. With par1, if there are 2 incomplete files on my server, I download 2 pars, plus 1 for good luck. With par2, I just pull a number out of the air and hope it's good. Actually, I download all blocks, just in case.

For these reasons, I don't think par2 is ready for prime time yet.
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

QuickPar does not save the state of checked files, which means that I cannot check one day's downloads without rechecking it the next day.

I agree that it is kinda annoying, but its a pretty quick check most times.

Quote:

3. There's no way to gauge how many blocks you need, or even if there are enough blocks posted. With par1, if there are 2 incomplete files on my server, I download 2 pars, plus 1 for good luck. With par2, I just pull a number out of the air and hope it's good. Actually, I download all blocks, just in case.

eh, in the non command-line based one it will say "Need XXX blocks". Then you can just grab whichever par file(s) that will satisfy that requirement.
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
Quote:

QuickPar does not save the state of checked files, which means that I cannot check one day's downloads without rechecking it the next day.

I agree that it is kinda annoying, but its a pretty quick check most times.

Not when you have 8-16 checks running at the same time =)

[quote="Kai-Jinn"]
Quote:

Quote:

eh, in the non command-line based one it will say "Need XXX blocks". Then you can just grab whichever par file(s) that will satisfy that requirement.

But it tells you only after you run the check. With my ISP's newsfeed's low retention times, I like to queue up all the pars I need in advance in case they disappear. With par2 I can't do that.
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenofobe wrote:

Not when you have 8-16 checks running at the same time =)

My comp lags when I run 2 par1 checkers together or par check / winrar at the same time... I certainly wouldn't even want to open 8-16 checks at the same time so I didn't really consider that.

Zenofobe wrote:

But it tells you only after you run the check. With my ISP's newsfeed's low retention times, I like to queue up all the pars I need in advance in case they disappear. With par2 I can't do that.

Sorry, I was unaware that there was a system that could tell you how many replacement files you needed before it checked the files that you had ;P
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
Zenofobe wrote:

Sorry, I was unaware that there was a system that could tell you how many replacement files you needed before it checked the files that you had ;P

Wiseguy.

As previously described, the system that tells me how many replacement files I need is my brain. =) (Complete files are almost never broken, and on the rare occasions that they are, the 1 extra par file I get usually covers it.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you looking for a PAR2-friendly news reader, I would have to reccommend NewsBin (at the obvious URL). It can handle downloading incompletes as long as the first part is present, as well as supporting multi-threaded downloading from multiple groups and/or servers. Very powerful, but can take some getting used to. (ie: Read the docs.)

disclaimer: I'm Smite in the Newsbin forums, currently with a post count higher than half (one) of the Newsbin employees.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum