abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Drastic drop in posts?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Drastic drop in posts? Reply with quote

I haven't done any quantitative analysis, but it seems like volume in aba/abma/abmar have all dropped quite noticeably. I'm guessing it's because of bittorrent, as I've personally slowly changed to downloading mostly through that as well. At first I wasn't too keen on the idea of bittorrent, because of the tempramental nature of being dependent on how many other clients are running. But now I find it to be fast and convenient, it's nice not having to par it then unrar it before I can use the file. Also, using a bit of my upstream to help out is cool too. And finally, many older series are starting to show up as well. Seems like we're getting the more under-control posting levels we wanted after all.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for aba and abma, but the number of posts in abmar has dropped dramatically in the past month or so. A recent analysis bears this but somewhat, but it's hard to tell since the trend is quite recent and the plots go a little wonky at the endpoints.

I would say 50% the number of posts in abmar over the past week as compared to 2 months ago.

Now, the really interesting question is - why? Are many more of you suddenly looking at non-Usenet sources? I haven't myself...

-xo
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe more stuff is coming through complete and doesn't need reposts ;P...

Seriously though, I think the decrease is because there was a lot of series that were being reposted and once those were done there became less posts. It could be from an increase use of p2p programs, but /shrug -- I personally distrust them and they are generally much slower than dling from newsgroups... usually 150kb/s constant (or if I have all 4 connections open I can dl at about 40-60kb/s each) versus p2p's 10-20 kb/s avg and generally worse/hectic speeds than that.
(inc)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks who are on University accounts going home for the summer may account for some of the drop, but this is nothing new. And even if more people are using BT to d/l stuff, that really isn't what we're talking about here; is there something _not_ being uploaded because of BT? If it's a new series, it's not readily apparent to me -- as for fills, who knows.

(inc)
superjaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I've personally been ignoring all but absa (aside from the occasional peak into abmaRaws), mostly because the group I distro for is in hibernation for the summer, and it's just as fast to get stuff off BT, and then I don't have to worry about completion, pars or rars. ;/
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
It could be from an increase use of p2p programs, but /shrug -- I personally distrust them and they are generally much slower than dling from newsgroups... usually 150kb/s constant (or if I have all 4 connections open I can dl at about 40-60kb/s each) versus p2p's 10-20 kb/s avg and generally worse/hectic speeds than that.

I've been unsatisfied with p2p as well, until bittorrent. As long as you use the client that lets you throttle your u/l speed, and open ports 6881-6889 on your firewall, you should get about the same speed for torrents with lots of clients. My usenet d/l's through my ISP tops out at ~230kB/s. I've seen torrents go up to 180kB/s, but I usually have 3-4 torrents going along with my usenet d/l so they go at about 50kB/s each. People with higher BW have seen even higher averages.
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
And even if more people are using BT to d/l stuff, that really isn't what we're talking about here; is there something _not_ being uploaded because of BT? If it's a new series, it's not readily apparent to me -- as for fills, who knows.

I'm guessing it probably takes some of the load off of whole-episode fills of semi-recently posted series. I was able to grab dozens of eps of Shaman King without asking for reposts on ab**.

New series of anime are probably all being posted as they come out, but maybe not the old ones. I'm seeing Cardcaptor eps by Anime Galaxy that aren't showing up in the newsgroups, according to animeusenet.
Melchior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether there are more or fewer posts these days, i'm still downloading about the same amount as I was during the last couple of months-- averaging around 700MB per day. I'm not downloading anything new-- just continuing to download old series that are still being subbed and posted!
zanson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with the bit torrent theory for slowing abmar down. A lot of full series batch bit torrents are out there for older stuff, so people don't need to beg for them on the ngs, they can just go to a web site and dl them. For a lot of people web downloadable stuff is much preferable to ngs as they are not used to ngs and they use the web all the time. Shaman King, Rave, HxH, Slam Dunk, GTO are just a couple off the top of my head that I've seen batch torrents for.

I like to get stuff from ngs first, only going to bts if I miss something or its too incomplete for me to get with pars. So bts have become a nice place for fills, and more user friendly then irc bots. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum