abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Anime that sucked

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Anime that sucked Reply with quote

A recent thread on Wandaba Style meandered into a discussion of the suckiness of Raimuiro Senkitan. Now, I haven't watched RS, but did diligently collect the series. Given what I know know, I would've saved 2.6 GB of downloads and CDs...

So, I got to thinking - what anime sucks so I can save myself the trouble? The stuff people like gets mentioned here or there, but there's an expanse of stuff that's rarely talked about that might contain some real stinkers. I check animenfo and make sure ratings/reviews aren't miserable before I commit, but for new series, sometimes there isn't enough data.

Unfortunately, I can't contribute much in the way of info on new series (I'm hoping you all can step in there), but a couple of series stand out in my mind as having been a waste of my time: Comic Party and Excel Saga. I watched all of Comic Party and found it derivative, tedious, and the characters grating. There just wasn't much going for it, unless you're into the doujinshi scene or something.

Excel Saga was just too weird and I didn't get it. I can see how if you got all the inside jokes it might've been a hoot, but I didn't and I gave up after 4 or 5 eps.

Other than that - the Fushigi Yuugi OAV and Eikoden OAV were huge disappointments. Fan service cash plays, bleah.

-xo

PS - Anyone reading this thread is required to post at least one anime they thought sucked or were hugely disappointed by. You have been warned.

PPS- Yes YOU.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought episode 01 of Wandaba Style was OK, but anyway...

Anime I was dissapointed with or just outright sucked:

Rikki Oh(Story of Ricky): the live-action movie is way the fuck better.

Dirty Pair-Affair on Nolandia: horrible OAV with terrible character re-designs and animation.

Dirty Pair Flash: I've been a big Dirty Pair fan for about 13 years and Flash is not Dirty Pair. Transformation sequences and light sabres? Total crap.

Dragonball: in all its forms. As if this even needs mentioning.

Fatal Fury: first OAV was crap. The second was so-so. The movie was good.

Tekken The Movie: Grade A manure.

Airbats: Not terrible, but I was fairly dissapointed.

Appleseed: This was especially dissapointing since the manga is so good.

G Dangaioh: I only saw the first one, but since I didn't like it nearly as much as the original series I was let down and gave up on it.

There are more recent ones that I didn't like, but I can't remember the titles atm. I'll sometimes just watch one or two episodes of a series, delete them and forget about them.

Anyway, I think I passed xo's requirements for reading his post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some older series that I couldn't make myself watch another episode of: Sakura Diaries Uncut, Sister Princess/repure, Master of Mosquiton, Mammotte Shugogetten. Of those I hated Sister Princess the most.
I watched Candidate for Goddess the whole way through, but that show was useless and had no ending or background at all. Fushigi Yuugi is starting to get on my nerves.

As for the newer series, Firestorm is looking stupider than ever but that is about the only one that I haven't yet enjoyed watching. There are a bunch of other mediocre ones, but I wouldn't include those in my "sucks" portion of my anime.txt file like I have for Mouse, Raimuiro, the aforementioned and etc...

I could name a lot more that have already been covered, though. Makes me sound picky but I really don't think I am. I thought Excel Saga was a great anime, but it does pack a lot of comedy/parody into every episode and its over-the-top. I couldn't watch it back-to-back like I can with most other series because it was just too much, but when I watched them seperately and only every few days or so it was a lot better.

edit: Oh actually, I don't like D.N.Angel either, and Liscensed by Royal got progressively worse right up to a dumb ending, imo.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Good thread idea, but you're going to generate some disagreement. Smile

I liked Excel Saga for one. It was nice and zany, and a pleasant change from "normal" anime at the time. It's something that can't be repeated though, even in self-reference; Puni Puni Poemi was hardly amusing at all. I will admit that I didn't like the last half-dozen or so episodes as much as the first half of the series.

Any hey - where else do you get to hear Japanese spoken with a ridiculous Spanish accent? Razz

I thought the Nabeshin wanna-be from Wandaba Style was a cute touch, but I don't think he's going to save the series.

Series I've seen that sucked: Well, not counting ones I gave up on after the first episode.

Angel's Tail: I admit I have a weakness for the standard one-guy-many-girls genere, and will watch them even if they're not so great. This one was an interesting twist in that all the girls were reincarnated former pets of the guy, and had hangups associated with the type of animal they were before. It could have been great, but instead the potential was wasted with this nonsensical, irrelevant set of adversaries. Something about conflict between the primal beasts and heaven. I didn't really get it. Ho-hum.

Bastard! Okay, so he was a pretty admirable bastard, but other than that this was a boring and too-short sword-and-sorcery template.

Bubblegum Crisis: Often described as a great classic anime, but I could never get into it - neither the first one nor the 2040 version.

Arjuna: Holy heavy-handed moralizing, Batman! Some nice graphics, but I got sick of all the tree-hugging pretty darn quick.

Comic Party: Interesting to see an anime take on the manga scene, but other than that it was To Heart with less interesting characters.

Dirty Pair Flash OAVs: What have you done with the REAL Lovely Angels? Sad

Sailor Moon: Gag me with a pink spoon.

Dragonball: I thought the first few dozen Dragonball episodes were decent, but the next several thousand were only interesting in that they seemed to be one long fight scene.

Five Star Stories: What the hell was that?

Hunter X Hunter and Groovy Adventure Rave: Yawn. More Pokemon-like interminable quests.

Onegai Teacher: Oh, please! I've sat through some pretty contrived stuff, but this script reads like amateur sex-heavy fanfic. The premise of the series put me off.

Puni Puni Poemi: Fails to live up to the names behind it.

Sister Princess RePure: I could sit through the first series because of my aforementioned weakness for shows with lots of girls, and because I wanted to find out how this weird situation arose. But that question was never really answered, and I can't sit through another season of continuous brother-admiration.

Virtua Fighter: AAAHH!! MY EYES!! TURN IT OFF!!! A worse video game adaptation I've never seen. Oh, this one reminds me:

First of the North Star: This got made? How? It's hillarious for the first one or two episodes you see no matter which ones they are, but after that it has no redeeming qualities.

X OAV and movie. I like the X TV series, but due to the large number of characters the story moves at breakneck speed even with 24 episodes. It simply cannot be crammed into less space. The OAV and movie ended up looking like a badly edited, confusing trailer for the TV series. X is a story that really needs more like 52 episodes to tell.

Yuugen Kaisha: Yawn.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so what's the word on D.N.Angel? I've heard most negative grumblings so far. Should I ditch it? It was on of my larger losses when my HD crashed, so if it's not very good, it'd make it easier for me to drop it.

Other series I'm trying to recover (if worthwhile) : Narue no Sekai, Scrapped Princess, and Ninja Scroll. Yay or nay on these?

Wish I had known about Repure Wink.

-xo
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I like Ninja Scroll/Narue no Sekai... I haven't had time to watch past ep 2 of Scrapped Princess.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea on all three. Scrapped Princess is shaping up well, and Ninja Scroll is definitely a worthy successor to the movie. The old bastard with the big hat is back in style! Avoid the AJ subs on this one though.

Narue no Sekai is the only one of the three I would consider dropping, but so far it's still in my good books.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys - will keep going with the 3.

-xo
superjaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I only made it through the first episode of Ninja Scroll and it seemed like one of the silliest shows I watched in a long time, and I don't mean in a good way, of course. I can't say I was disappointed with it, though, since I've always thought the movie was one of the more overrated features as far as anime movies go.

I'm not quite sure what to think about Wandaba Style.. seems like one of those shows I may use to get my random idiocy in since I haven't been getting/watching Galaxy Angel much, recently.

Scrapped Princess just keeps getting better, though; I just finished watching episode 8 tonight. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, considering that the title makes it almost sound like a reject H-game adaptation.

I'm also waining interest in TEXHNOLYZE, I have to admit. I'm a self proclaimed Yoshitoshi ABe fanboy, so I'm going to have about as much tolerance as anyone else will have for this show's pacing.. but hopefully it'll start making, well.. sense sometime soon.

I can't think of much recently that I've seen that's particularly bad, though.. but I can't say there's much, especially from this season, that's particularly great either, save for exceptions like Last Exile, Scrapped Princess and Juuni Kokki (which has been going on for a while longer than just "this season," of course).
Orqyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonball Z
Sailor Moon
Pokemon

and here I usually try to avoid controversy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orqyman wrote:
Dragonball Z
Sailor Moon
Pokemon

Cop out Wink

-xo
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02:

As others have mentioned... DBZ, Sailor Moon, and that ilk etc... Blek! Nuff said.

Recent stuff I wish I hadn't dl'd (stopped but not soon enough... Oh the wasted bandwidth...):

Mouse: Ugh, I really regret dl'n a handfull of these thankfully short episodes. S'what I get for not watching enough of what I dl in a timely fashion. Sad Even a fanservice fan will be hard pressed to like Mouse IMO.

Raimuro Senkitan: Again I dl'd a bunch then watched a few episodes and promptly stopped dl'n the series. *kicks self*

Ajimu OVA: Bad romance novel tripe with music that had me wanting to tear my hair out long before it was over (and I have a LOT of hair so that's a great deal of pain).

Usagichan de Cue: This one's so bad it's facinating! Preposterous fanservice/transformation/fight stupidity galore. Score 10 for panty shot camera angle acumen. Be Warned.

Off the top of my head those are the worst offenders I can think of.

Gorunova wrote:
Onegai Teacher: Oh, please! I've sat through some pretty contrived stuff, but this script reads like amateur sex-heavy fanfic. The premise of the series put me off.

Oddly I kind of liked Onegai Teacher. I thought it was pretty well done for "predictable, silly, and fanservicey" stuff so I enjoyed it.

Of the current crop I'm grabbing Scrapped Princess and Last Exile when I see them. I haven't even watched any of SP yet and only ep 1 of LE because of time constraints and MeatSpace (TM) stuff so (with SP in particular) I'm going on 'oldtimer' buzz. I suspect I won't be dissapointed but we'll see. Taste is a funny kinda thang. Smile
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, looks like the usual suspects have been appropriately branded with the *sucks* label already, so I'll mention a couple of new ones. Admittedly, I've only watch a few minutes of 'em (but that seemed enough at the time), so I'm ready to be corrected if someone has a differing opinion:

The *New* Astroboy -- Why do this? Much of the appeal of the original is based in its age. Resurecting it in a new version dismisses the nostalga. Maybe not as bad as *colorizing* The Maltese Falcon as Ted Turner did, but in the same catagory.

Sonic X -- so average it seems like a archtype.

Hmm... Granted both are obviously for the younger audience, but that doesn't mean they have to be quite so unimaginative.

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum