abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Common codecs/formats that should be in a codec pack?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Common codecs/formats that should be in a codec pack? Reply with quote

I know there's a Nimo pack with every codec out know to man but uhh it's a bit on the overkill side so I've made a codecpack for myself + friends that contains just the neccesities. I have the folllowing so far:

mpg4c32.dll - "old school mpeg4" support from the SmR patch days
divxc32.dll and divxc32f.dll - the original DivX 3.11 files (lm and fm)
divx.dll - current DivX 4.12 release
huffyuv.dll - Huffyuv loseless codec for encoders
vfcodec.dll - VFAPI reader codec, also for encoders
divxa32.acm - DivX audio from 3.11 days
l3codeca.acm - mp3 decoding/encoding
and few files ripped from WinDVD for mpeg2 viewing in WMP, and some directshow filters for the above files.

Is there any other must have codec/file that I should include?
Keikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I did something similar for my friends a few weeks ago. Mine was similar although I left out one or two of those codecs and included the following non-video codecs:

dvobsub
mmswitch
ac-3 audio pack

Since you seem to be concentrating on video codecs you might not be interested in those, but I thought I'd mention them.

I also included Sasami2k and BSPlayer because each had some capabilities people might need from time to time. I find between those two and WMP most bases are covered.
earthdark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, I grabbed an ac3 audio filter but I haven' an idea what mmswitch is and I'm not really a fan of softsubs. :P

Eventually, I'm just gonna upload the install pack (a bit over 2 megs right now) to a server and just link it on the ampeg homepage. (shamless plug)
Keikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info on mmswitch is here: http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/mmswitch/
It's a handy DShow filter that allows people to encode a single AVI with multiple audio tracks and then choose which one to play from the player. It's a good choice now that DX8.1 breaks the "Graphedit Method" of multiple audio tracks. From an encoding standpoint it doesn't particularly interest me since I don't bother encoding anything except japanese w/ subs but its necessary to play the tracks on some releases.

As for vobsub (and mmswitch for that matter), it really depends on your goal. If the pack is for other people (your friends) then you might want to include everything that they might run into.

Just thought I'd mention it.
earthdark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks. mmswitch looks good, I'll probably include it once I get around to locating it's dll/ax file. The purpose of the codec pack is to provide something more along the lines of a bare essentials codec pack as opposed to everything and the kitchen sink codec pack (a la Nimo).
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there still enough flaky videos out there to warrent having DiVX Antifreeze installed?
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops hit submit too quickly.

to continue...

Are there still enough flaky videos out there to warrent having DiVX Antifreeze installed? If so, then it might be worth adding to the now-becoming-generic video pack.
earthdark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think most encoders are smart enough to either use the anti-freeze settings in Nandub or to have people QA the encode before release so I'm not going to include an anti-freeze one.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Common codecs/formats that should be in a codec pack? Reply with quote

earthdark wrote:
and few files ripped from WinDVD for mpeg2 viewing in WMP, and some directshow filters for the above files.

How does one get MPEG2 viewing going in WMP (or better yet, ZoomPlayer)?

I used to be able to watch MPEG2 in WMP, though I couldn't seek, but for some reason it stopped working.

There seems to be quite a lack of codec support for MPEG2 on Windows.
zanson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Common codecs/formats that should be in a codec pack? Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
earthdark wrote:

How does one get MPEG2 viewing going in WMP (or better yet, ZoomPlayer)?

I used to be able to watch MPEG2 in WMP, though I couldn't seek, but for some reason it stopped working.

There seems to be quite a lack of codec support for MPEG2 on Windows.

You install a software dvd player or you can get some free ones from doom9.org I think. WinDVD or PowerDVD install filters that will let you play them.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Common codecs/formats that should be in a codec pack? Reply with quote

zanson wrote:
You install a software dvd player or you can get some free ones from doom9.org I think. WinDVD or PowerDVD install filters that will let you play them.

Thanks. WinDVD never worked for me. I have PowerDVD installed, but it crashes the machine when I try to load an MPEG2 file.

I'll poke around doom9 to see what I can find.

Normally I would just convert the files to regular MPEG, but I'm receiving a LOT of MPEG2 files these days and I just can't spare the time to convert them.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried the Windows version, but the Videolan client was a cool solution for MPEG2 playback on the Mac.

http://videolan.org/vlc/

-xo
zanson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[off topic]
xo wrote:
I never tried the Windows version, but the Videolan client was a cool solution for MPEG2 playback on the Mac.

http://videolan.org/vlc/

-xo

xo (or anyone else) do you know a way to play SVCD files on mac os x (powerbook)? As in burned svcd's not svcd sized mpeg2's? I keep seeing stuff saying vlc should do it, but I haven't been able to get it to work, so I'm thinking that vlc just plays mpeg2, not actual svcds. When ever I try to play an actual svcd I get data read errors trying to access the files...
[/offtopic]
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanson wrote:

xo (or anyone else) do you know a way to play SVCD files on mac os x (powerbook)?

Hmm, I just downloaded it again (v0.5.3), launched it off the mounted dmg, went to File->Open Disc and hit the "VCD" radio button, then OK. Then hit the big Play button and it played without a hitch.

The device name it selected (the only choice) was /dev/rdisk1, the MRL filled in was vcd:///dev/rdisk1@1,1. This was a SVCD I made myself authored with vcdimager.

I tried playing the mpgs as files from the CD and I got a bunch of errors - Macs have never handled the MODE2/block sizes well.

You've had problems with more than one SVCD? Have you tried ripping the SVCD with vcdxrip and seeing if you can play the ripped mpgs?

-xo
superjaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, ffdshow-alpha can play pretty much anything you can throw at it. This includes anything MPEG4 (divx3+, xvid, ms mpeg4* etc), HuffyYUV(and Huffy in YV12 too, IIRC), MPEG1.. there's really not much it can't play.

You may also have to include "DivX audio" crap for the old encodes as well..

Also, I would hope that encoders know enough about encoding/decoding that they could install HuffyYUV/VFAPI themselves (it's cleaner to use avisynth+mpeg2dec anyway, IMO) rather than install useless things for people who just want to watch stuff.. so you might want to hold off on those.

EDIT: No Ogg Filters?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum