abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

[was Postings:Seraphim Call]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblio wrote:

Its all a matter of VfW vs DirectShow drivers. After some amount of usenet surfing, it looks as if you are simply screwed WRT AVI_IO (which sucks for you since it's such a fine program).

Yeah, looks like it. Thanks for researching this, though. As long as Premiere doesn't act up it's sufficient for my uses. BTW, does AVI_IO always cut the AVI's at 4 GB, even if your filesystem is NTFS? Premiere (or maybe Pinnacle's drivers) will cap over 4 GB (OpenDML format), which is nice so I normally don't have to mess with multiple AVI files.

Quote:

I also saw a couple threads describing your problem at the pinnacle web boards. They were suggesting that this skew was due to dropped frame treatment or problems with the card handling source frames captured from low quality tapes (this rings of "rumor and innuendo" in my professional opinion). You may want to check there. (http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com)

Ah yes, I had forgotten about Pinnacle's boards. That explanation sounds pretty shoddy to me. I'm pretty sure it's not dropped frames; Premiere keeps track of how many frames have been dropped, and the counter is always 0. (Unless, of course, the DV500 is lying to Premiere...) As for the sources being LQ, this might be possible. The quality certainly looks fine when played on TV, and these are supposed to be 1st gen from SVHS masters. The tapes themselves are Fuji UH620's, which I think are better than most consumer-grade tapes out in the market.

Quote:

Have you tried capping the entire ep, stripping out the audio and video streams and checking to see if they are the same length?

Yup, they're the same length.
As for multiple cards for analog and DV, I had wanted an all-in-one solution; I had heard too many things about Win2K mis-allocating shared IRQ's for PCI cards and wanted to minimize that potential.
oblio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user wrote:

oblio wrote:

Have you tried capping the entire ep, stripping out the audio and video streams and checking to see if they are the same length?

Yup, they're the same length.
As for multiple cards for analog and DV, I had wanted an all-in-one solution; I had heard too many things about Win2K mis-allocating shared IRQ's for PCI cards and wanted to minimize that potential.

Have you then tried reinterleaving them through a compression round (or a direct stream copy round) in virtualdub?

If that fails, I'm all out of ideas, but if it works, it will simply add a single step to your capture process, which shouldn't be too onerous.
user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't try that. I'll give it a shot when the system's idle again.
user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks. A last-minute check of ep 5 before burning it to CD shows that the audio sync is also slightly skewed. I wonder why I didn't catch it when I checked it the first time after encoding. On one hand, this is somewhat good news, since it further reinforces the theory that I have a 'bad' tape containing 5-8. On the other hand, it means I have to recap and re-encode the ep. Evil or Very Mad
oblio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard for me to buy into the bad tape theory. I've capped hundreds and hundreds of hours off all sorts of media, and I've never seen a "bad tape". That said, I'm totally out of ideas. :/

I guess I gotta ask again, did you try doing a full ep record, splitting the audio, and then remuxing it back in (with or without a compress)? That should fix the problem if both streams are the same length.
user

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of reasonable ideas too, I'm pretty much just grasping at straws now. Still haven't tried splitting the audio and then remuxing it. I haven't forgotten, it's just that I'm spending my time finishing up the series before Monday. I should have some time this week to try it out.
user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally did the full ep record, split the audio (it was the same length as the video, BTW) and encoded it separately, then remuxed it into Vdub and encoded the video. Sync is still off. Sad

I still want to chalk it up to a funky tape since all 4 episodes on it had problems. Ep 5 was a little noticeable but not too bad, and by the end of ep 8 the subs were about 3 seconds off.

Hmm. I just noticed something else as well: on the tape containing eps 5-8, there are big video glitches during the OP's, right when the last feather flies towards the screen and then the scene changes to an overhead shot of the city. You'll see it when those eps are posted. None of the other 8 OP's has the glitch, just these 4. Maybe this is somehow throwing off the capture card's sync...?
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this is a religeous matter rather than a scientific one. :) My next suggestion would have to be to double your offering to the god of video capture.

Those tape glitches are probably at fault. Though I can't imagine why. The DC10 will drop frames if the cap is bad (rather than try to adjust them), and frankly, I like that behavior.

So what did you do to fix the audio skew? Or did you just leave it and intend to post with skewed audio?

If it's that second, lets work out an ftp arrangement and I'll try to fix one using cooledit.
user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perhaps my previous burnt offerings have been lacking in quality. Smile

I worked around the skew by capping in 2-4 minute blocks, depending on how bad the lack of sync was. I'd typically record 4 minutes and 30 seconds of video, then stop and play back the last minute or so to see how apparent the misalignment was. If it was very noticeable, then I'd rewind the tape another minute or two and restart recording from there. Otherwise, then I'd rewind 30 seconds and tape the next segment. The overlap in segments was used to find a suitable scene change where no one was talking and the transition wasn't a fade-in so I could join them in Premiere (using the razor tool to cut out the overlapping frames.)

I'm going to post the "corrected" versions, I can't imagine anyone would want them otherwise. But there are probably still a few spots where the sync is just a tad bit off, and for that I apologize in advance.
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the sweat on this project, I've wanted to see that series for a while...
user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. Thanks to you and Keikai for all the advice and help. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum