abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Anime I've never watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoopy, might as well continue being OT...

Watched ep 1's of two more: Dear Boys and Wandaba Style.

Dear Boys looks like someone was thinking high-concept: "What if Kenshin and Saito were on a High School basketball team together with a lot of computer driven animation and rap". Well, it might work or it might be really, really predictable. Worth another ep or two anyway...

What's not at all predictable is Wandaba Style with total over-the-top satire, some of it seemingly from stuff in the newspapers not so many months ago. It includes the _worst_ folksinger I've ever heard -- I think she missed the casting call for A Might Wind. And I want one of the creepy boy-genius's *digital* slide-rulers for my very own. And I'm not even mentioning the major oddities with the robot girl or the singing group -- no matter what your anime taste, this one may deserve at least a glance.

(inc)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it just me or did anyone else think that the Dear Boys cg animation was an eyesore? The plot looked worthy enough, I guess, but I couldn't stand the clashing animation.

I agree with you on Wandaba Style. Did you watch Kaleido yet? It's the only new one that I haven't gotten to.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anime I've never watched Reply with quote

Melchior wrote:
CotS is a definite watch-me.

And look at my luck - eps 1 & 3 pop up in aba. I'll be grabbing it Smile.

-xo
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 and 4 were in abma as well, xo.
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
2 and 4 were in abma as well, xo.

Just did a refresh on my local server and they aren't there yet but I see them on Easynews (6.4 hours) so I imagine they'll show up soon.

Thanks for the heads up, Kai-Jinn!

Sometimes it seems like the collective Usenet can read my mind Smile.

-xo
(inc)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
...Did you watch Kaleido yet? It's the only new one that I haven't gotten to.

Watched it.... Young Japanese girl who will *Try her best* joining a psuedo Cirque du Soleil in some psuedo California city. Semi-cute with a few interesting characters, though the *bad* girl seems unbelievably stereotypical. There are some metaphysical/mystical tones hinted at that will obviously be major plot elements later. Worth a couple of more episodes at least.

Incidently, as you probably saw in the ng, the Anime-Fantesy sub isn't very good and there are editing mistakes during the promo at the end -- seems like it was posted before it was finished.

(inc)
superjaded

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anime I've never watched Reply with quote

xo wrote:
I loved KareKano as well - it's easily in my top 5 all time. I hesitated to put it on a "must watch" list, though as I thought it the kind of production that some would hate and other than representing the Gainax way of doing things (in which case, FLCL might be a "safer" pic), I couldn't think of another compelling reason to include it (though I wanted to ).

Well, FLCL is nice if you want some mindless sillyness.. not that that's a bad thing by any means. Wink

Seriously, aside from the crew who would rather watch steroid pumped macho men grunt for 30 mins in a show like DBZ than watch something with some character development, I can't think of anyone who's really not liked the show, aside from how it "ended," which seems to be a sticking point for most people.

I didn't particularly include KKNJ to represent GAINAX on a whole (FLCL or Eva are probably better examples as you say), I chose to include it because I thought it was probably one of the best done romantic dramedies out there, even, like I said, if it wasn't really ever "finished."

Quote:
Aye, good call. Does the X series represent the CLAMP genre well? I haven't had much opportunity to see much else yet.

-xo

X? Hmm.. it's a little more obviously angsty than most CLAMP stuff, but the overall feel of the show is quite CLAMPy.

It's hard to really explains what makes CLAMP CLAMP.. but if you read a few manga from them and watch a few more anime based on CLAMP manga, you'll probably get a feel for it..

Although I'll say this before you watch E's Otherwise and gasp "that must be CLAMP" (it seems a fairly close X ripoff to me, IMO).. it's not CLAMP. Wink
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resuscitating an old topic...

I was browsing around the animenet/madwuv site and looking at the "Titles most liked by users", it occurred to me that it fit the context of this thread.

Here's the list as it appears for my login:
madwuv wrote:

Cowboy Bebop
Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Escaflowne TV
Trigun
Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1 (Samurai X)
Ghost in the Shell
Rurouni Kenshin TV
Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion

I'm guessing this is a static list but if appears differently for your login, I'd be curious to hear the differences.

It's not exactly a diverse list, both genre-wise and era-wise. I've seen all but RK (which I had mentioned initially, so it fits) and I guess I enjoyed all of them except for NGE.

Anyhoo, I had no point.

-xo
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a static list-- shows up exactly the same for me.

IIRC, for a show to make it onto that list, it had to be almost universally liked, *and* had to have a crapload of votes for it-- namely, only widely-seen shows (shows that have been around for some time) are likely to be able to earn themselves a listing on that list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Another 1 Reply with quote

Quote:
Edited it, =P

Is everything like this these days?Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum