abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

The better P2P clients?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onakra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: The better P2P clients? Reply with quote

A few years ago there was Napster which was the source for MP3s of millions. Soon there was a way to share files besides MP3. Then came GNUtella, WinMX, and after that they really started to boom and you started to see numerous different clients. Kazaa, emule, edonkey and more exotic sounding names.

My questions is what are the better ones at the moment? When I have to search for something and it can't be found through other ways (ng, IRC, bittorent) I use kazaa, WinMX or Winny (for the Japanese files). Are there more clients I should really check out?
Orqyman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't help, which I'm sorry to say, but all I've used as far as P2P is concerned is kazaa. I hate 'em all mainly for how intrusive the programs are, but they are useful in finding something rare, fast.

Sorry, man, I'm not much help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(inc)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the newer generation I've used bittorent (or as I've mentioned once or twice bitdrip). Slow, but it does work. Like Orqy, it's only a last resort, though.

Hmm... And I still run Gnutella on occasion...

(inc)
zanson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try eMule, I've used it a few times and its not too bad. I think you can get it off sourceforge, but just google for eMule and you should find it. A friend of mine was also telling me about some client that can get on, kaaza, audio galaxy, winmx, emule, and a bunch of other p2p networks all at once. I forget the name of it now though =(. But you might want to look into it.
Planet_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The better P2P clients? Reply with quote

Onakra wrote:
A few years ago there was Napster which was the source for MP3s of millions. Soon there was a way to share files besides MP3. Then came GNUtella, WinMX, and after that they really started to boom and you started to see numerous different clients. Kazaa, emule, edonkey and more exotic sounding names.

My questions is what are the better ones at the moment? When I have to search for something and it can't be found through other ways (ng, IRC, bittorent) I use kazaa, WinMX or Winny (for the Japanese files). Are there more clients I should really check out?

IMO it's best to try IRC Laughing http://www.ircspy.com with the trigger script is a good start.
Onakra

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: The better P2P clients? Reply with quote

Planet_Destroyer wrote:

IMO it's best to try IRC Laughing http://www.ircspy.com with the trigger script is a good start.

Thanks, but I'm talking about stuff that can't be easily found on IRC

Onakra wrote:
When I have to search for something and it can't be found through other ways (ng, IRC, bittorent)

, ie. some older stuff or something very specific. It looks like I'll stick with my current clients. They don't always find something when I'm looking for it, but it seems not many other networks are 'a lot' better or have a much bigger userbase then the ones I use.
Manzabar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanson wrote:
A friend of mine was also telling me about some client that can get on, kaaza, audio galaxy, winmx, emule, and a bunch of other p2p networks all at once. I forget the name of it now though =(. But you might want to look into it.

Perhaps your friend was talking about Shareaza?

Also for reviews on various P2P clients (on Win, Mac or Linux) try Zeropaid.com
superjaded

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm.. are you asking best p2p for anime, mp3s or just general?

I can't answer for "general" or "anime," since BitTorrent is the closest I've ever been to to successfully downloading something off a p2p client, and I don't really think of BT in the same "category" as the likes of Napster and WinMX.

For MP3s, however.. my preference is OpenNap via lopster (apparently there's been a win32 port made, but I've never gotten around to trying it yet).. while it probably doesn't match the amount of "Japanese stuff" you can find on Winny, it seems to be the best for finding fairly obscure stuff over most everything else.

Of course, OpenNap is definitely a battle of patience -- I once went about 6 months between starting a song and getting a complete copy of it. It's normal for it to take a few days to get a complete file. I'm fairly sure that it's just the type of file I'm usually searching for, since when my friends come over (who like more mainstream music than I) and leech from opennap.. he'll have pretty much his whole queue finished by the time we're finished eating dinner (which, last night atleast, was about 10 songs).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum