abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Everyone going the bt way?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chung

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Everyone going the bt way? Reply with quote

which does rather suck.. bt's are too much tracking for my taste.. but it just seems that way now.. most everyone's gone the way of bitorrent... seems the groups have seriously slowed down recently too.. been noticing half or less the amount of posting past week or so..
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that why the posting volume's down? I'd figured it was probably one of those everybody's-on-vacation-except-me normal summer things...
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's the 'summer' thing more likely than not. I'd be guessing many subbers are students and are back home for the summer (as others have mentioned elsewhere).

As popular as BT is (haven't used it myself) I just don't think it can match the ease/speed/efficiancy of usenet. I have heard folks say it's good for finding that occasional hard to get thing.
Chung

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, no sooner than I make a post like this and I see more header count on the groups.. but oh well.. I was thinking it may be the summer thing too.. but over the past couple weeks, not months, I've noticed (at least, I think) a decrease in activity.. but oh well, in any case.. I guess it will all become evident in the next couple weeks as school starts to crank back up and everyone's back on their resnet.

I completely agree with LaughnCynic though.. love the ease of usenet.. I've used bt some.. for when things dont make it to the groups.. past two eps of Shadow Skill and some E's Otherwise, for example. We'll just have to see in what direction it all heads, I guess.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used any file sharing services since Napster. They're too invasive and use too much bandwidth. Usenet is way more convenient.
zanson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone going the bt way? Reply with quote

Chung wrote:
which does rather suck.. bt's are too much tracking for my taste.. but it just seems that way now.. most everyone's gone the way of bitorrent... seems the groups have seriously slowed down recently too.. been noticing half or less the amount of posting past week or so..

I've started going bt for a lot of stuff. Mostly because there is less old stuff on it that I have to filter through to find the new stuff I want. Though now that more junk is being posted bt wise thats getting less so =(
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a recent trend where stuff just isn't making it to the newsgroups. It used to be that something would appear on a tracker somewhere and the same day it would show up on the newsgroups.

Over the past 2 days, I've noted the following files that I never saw cross the newsgroups but am now hurrying to catch up on before the seed count goes to zero:

Happy Lesson Advance [keep] 4-6
Konjiki No Gash Bell [ae+aoshi] 5-7
Onegai Twins [ae+keep] 4
Poptan [triad] 4

That's just in a quick and incomplete survey- I'm sure there's a lot more.

Anyone else noted this trend? It appears to me, like it or not, bt has had a negative impact on diverse availability.

-xo

BTW if any of the series listed above sucks donkey balls, let me know.
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only been _very_ recently that the bt stuff hasn't been hitting the groups.

I don't know quite what to think about it myself. bt is really sweet for some things, but its SOOO much easier to just hope it all hits usenet and suck it down like oprah with a milkshake.

Maybe I'll start bridging some stuff from BT->ABA... I have a wee bit of bandwidth avail...
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
I haven't used any file sharing services since Napster. They're too invasive and use too much bandwidth. Usenet is way more convenient.

That depends on what you're using and BT is not invasive at all. It's quite different from any other P2P network.
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html

I've mostly used it for Jpop videos, concerts and live TV performances. I think I've only used it for anime once.

As for speed, I got up to 86kbps recently, though the average is probably around 30-40kbps. That's still better than a lot of P2P networks and IRC. Of cousre that depends on who you're downloading from.

The only other P2P thingy I use is WinMX which is also not invasive. No spyware or adware.

Between BT, WinMX and IRC, BT is definitely the fastest on average.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuralblastoma wrote:
The only other P2P thingy I use is WinMX which is also not invasive. No spyware or adware.

That's not what I mean by invasive. Obviously anything that spreads marketing virii is totally out of the question. I mean I don't like having to set aside space for uploads to "share" with people, and I don't like having strangers using my bandwidth.
zanson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
Neuralblastoma wrote:

That's not what I mean by invasive. Obviously anything that spreads marketing virii is totally out of the question. I mean I don't like having to set aside space for uploads to "share" with people, and I don't like having strangers using my bandwidth.

On the first thing, thats the nice thing about bit torrent. You don't have to share anything with people. You only share the file while you are downloading it. Now if you want to be nice, you should leave the bt open for awhile after you finish dling, but unless you are getting the bts from some of the crazy trackers which watch for leech only people, then no problem with closing it right away.
Anyway, bt is really nice for people who have very high bandwidth. As because you are getting the file from multiple sources you can get VERY good speeds, I have friends who have gotten like 800+ k/s dling bts from dorm inet connections, and I doubt youd get that high from news groups, as most ng providers cap dl speed. If you don't have a connection that fast, ngs are easy and the exact same speed or faster depending, and don't require ul bw.
Keikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used bt or any other file sharing system since that one really, really old one for audio back before napster. I can't remember the name. I think it started with 'S' and had five letters. Was it 'Scour'? I cant remember. Anyways, I only used it about five times. I prefer it if only my ISP and NSPs know what I'm downloading. File sharing has always given me the creeps, especially now that it's getting watched so closely. I have no plans to change my attitude. I'd quit downloading anime before using one. I put my faith in the health of AB(M)A. I think at worst it'll weed out some of the folks that dont care about AB(M)A and get some of us fogies that have stopped posting to start again.

As for missing files. I've been noticing that as well. Hopefully LC is right and it's just a summer thing. I'd recommend we wait a few months and see if it continues. If it does, maintaining a gap list might be handy. It could be as simple as a specialized thread that gets started once a week or month, or as complex as an automated system using animeusenet data. But, like I said, it'll probably pass so I don't think we need to worry yet.
oblio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about bridging for the sake of bridging? For example, the newsgroups are behind on Ordian and HL advance... I could post the eps I pulled from BT (not that I've watched them), I certainly have the bandwidth. But is that a good idea?

My gut says that it would be fine, but I'd hate to just be wasting time.
Chung

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did.. just because I figured, I was waiting for them to come across on groups.. and didnt see them.. but saw even newer eps.. so I bt'd down the missing ones and posted them since I hadn't seen them posted to that date.. I certainly wouldn't be against such a practice since I'd much rather use usenet over bt. Never one to download quick and post first though.. things get multi-posted that way..

Hopefully this is a phase and things will fill back in.. I noticed header count is back up from where it was a couple weeks ago. Guess I'll just have to stay on my toes a bit so I dont miss anything.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if a sub group has a designated poster, that person should be posting everything to Usenet.

Otherwise, by all means if you have something new that hasn't been posted and doesn't have a designated poster, post away!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum