abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Versus

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Versus Reply with quote

Another movie review, something I saw a little while ago: Versus. I think I got it from abmj a while back.

It's... interesting. Very stylized, along the same lines as Samurai Fiction was. It's not about samurai, although it does call on the samurai ethos a bit. Strong silent type protects pretty girl... from zombies. With lots of gunfire and blood.

The IMDB folk seem to dislike it, mostly because it goes over the top at times, but I thought it was OK. It's how I would imagine a live action Ninja Scroll to look.

So if "live action Ninja Scroll" piques your interest (at least until the real one comes out), go check it out.

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that Versus is being posted to alt.binaries.svcd, so if you're interested, go check that group. Looks like the post started 8/30.

-xo
deoch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story is not very good, and it felt a little too long.. but I still found Versus to be a very enjoyable movie. Despite its low budget, it manages to have some pretty cool action scenes and silly humor. "I have reflexes 500 times faster than Mike Tyson!"
The director fails when it comes to having an interesting narrative, but he is pretty good with action scenes and fun little cuts (Like the scene with the guy putting on the zombie's glasses). I would recommend checking it out as well, but definately don't do it for the plot.

The director, Ryuhei Kitamura has also worked on "alive" and "azumi." For those who are familiar with videogames, Hideo Kojima (a friend of his and producer of the Metal Gear series) has him directing the cutscenes in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid remake "The Twin Snakes" for Nintendo Gamecube.

Media Blasters recently (Late august maybe?) released an R1 DVD of Versus. There's a two disc set available with Director's commentary and all that lovely stuff.
Jiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a R2 DVD of this released by our usual friends at Tartan Asia Extreme although it's only one disc.

p.s. I really loved this film. It's entirely a "sit back with your friends and a few beers" movie and funny as hell. The end was kinda amusing I felt with the whole good vs evil thing (not a spoiler, don't worry).

It is essentially a comedy horror/zombie flick mind Smile
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being posted again in alt.binaries.svcd:

Code:

Message-ID:         <jL5Nb.73374$Gk2.32960@fe13.usenetserver.com>
NNTP-Posting-Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:57:19 EST
Newsgroups:         alt.binaries.svcd
Sender:             "ÇárrìêrÞîgèòn"<_@_._>
Subject:            versus day 1 of 4 - 01/22 -  "versus_ntsc_svcd.nfo" yEnc (1/1) 0.00 Mbytes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum