abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Translation nuances

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenofobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Translation nuances Reply with quote

In the Anime Daisuki's Kanon thred, a statement by Alienboy

AlienBoy wrote:

Also, some words work better untranslated. For example, in the Kenshin Fansubs, "Hitokiri Battousai" is left untouched. The DVDs, however, awkwardly (and longwindedly) give "Battousai the manslayer" at every turn.

made me think:
Lots of times I wish the subbers would translate names if possible, or at least mention what characters form the names, because there's information encoded in there giving an indication of the personality that the writers were thinking of. (Any subbers out there reading this by any chance?)

Anyone else have pet peeves about translations?
Keikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Translation nuances Reply with quote

Zenofobe wrote:

Lots of times I wish the subbers would translate names if possible, or at least mention what characters form the names, because there's information encoded in there giving an indication of the personality that the writers were thinking of. )

Personally I dislike it when names are changed in any way. I prefer natural names as spoken with honorifics (-chan, -kun, -san, etc.). However I can appreciate Zenofobe's urge to understand any extra meaning imparted to the name. I think something like that, however, is best left to translator's notes. (Unless I'm misunderstanding Zenofobe's meaning.)
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to state the obvious, but I'm always pissed off when they change the last name - first name order. Not really a problem with fansubs, though I have seen it done.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum