abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Deal breaker titles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Deal breaker titles Reply with quote

Often lacking anything better to go by, here's a list of words that, if they appeared in the title of anime, I probably would not be inclined to download it:

Dragonball
Fairy
Princess
Bubble
Magical
Nurse
Bounc[ey]
Gundam
Knight
[any fruit]
Angel
Battle

-xo
Sophosis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, no shoujo for xo? that cuts a lot of anime.. heh
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, that was me.. I can never remember what name I use where..

But surely you have your exceptions to the rule.. but if you abhor shoujo.. I guess you really wouldnt care for them.. but I did like including titles such as Princess Tutu (as lame-hinting as it may sound), and Tiny Snow Fair Sugar.. Scrapped Princess too.. How about Magic Knights Rayearth even? Ya.. I'm being just a bit argumentative here.. but I defend the shoujo! heh

But I'm sure, as in previous seasons, a list will eventually show up here listing off what's good and not. From inside my circle, so far they've listed up Gunslinger and Full Metal Alchemist as two that may be looking good.. I have yet to watch them myself.
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Gundam? I suppose if it were Gundam Wing, ZZ Gundam, and G Gundam, it's understandable, but the others? Wow, never figured someone would hate all gundam series. There's been many incarnations of it, that I'd thought there'd be at least 1 you like.

Angel... Battle... Does this include Battle Angel Alita? In comparison to the manga, it's really not that great, but as a stand alone anime, it wasn't that bad. Razz

Scrapped Princess is quite good and I actually thought I wouldn't enjoy it. Considering how it started out. Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar is just too cute to hate. Smile
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jebus, that list is practicly trolling!

For example, you can't watch the best anime ever: "Magical Cutey Bouncy Gundam Knight Z" (though those tenticles were distracting).

Scrapped Princess is incredible.
Battle Angel was classic.
Mahou Senshi Riui (Magical) is pretty funny.
/me heart Gundam Seed and 0086
And Fruits Basket was really good (though there is no SPECIFIC fruit mentioned).

I kinda liked that "magical" 12 ep series that RB subbed a few years back (though its name eludes me now) :/
deoch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking of Someday's Dreamers (What's important to a mage / Mahou tsukai ni taisetsu na koto)? If so that was actually this year.. Geneon (Formerly Pioneer) is releasing the first R1 DVD at the end of this november.

As for "deal breaker titles"... I don't really apply this sort of reasoning... Since so many anime have ridiculous titles, and the titles often have little correlation with the quality of the show. I guess I do get a bit wary with some titles, but I usually try to look up what something is about before shutting it out entirely.
zanson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I reject many an anime based on the title, you have to take the whole title into account not just certain words. ie, "Magical Bottle Fairy", gets rejected outright... Along with Magical Nyan Nyan what ever. Other shows which don't sound so completely cutesy that I will puke if I watch even the first 5 minutes, like Scrapped Princess, get the first ep downloaded and skimmed through, and in that case kept. Though I have a lot of bw and a lot of hd space, so I have no issues with download first, delete later policies =).
Gorunova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Good call with the original list, xo. I tend to agree, though I do watch some of the matching series for a little fluff.

I can think of one series that is a false positive though: Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, which my limited nihongo translates as "Battle Fairy Blizzard".
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all know better than to take me seriously. The subject came to mind as I was debating "Bubble Fairy", which had no listing at animenfo (lots of missing series there lately).

While I may be un-inclined to download series with those words, almost each one has an exception (well, not Dragonball). Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar; Scrapped Princess (I'm looking forward to this, now that it's complete); IMMSE (liked) and Fruits Basket (really liked); Gundam Seed; etc. Still, for each word, I had something particular in mind.

As for Gundam, that actually intersects with another criterion I often use: no robots. I'm just not into long drawn out battle sequences anymore.

I'm into high school girls, preferably in bevys and without magical powers Wink

-xo

PS- I ended up downloading Bubble Fairy. Someone hurry up and do a new season synopsis and save me!
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, I guess Escaflowne contradicts that last bit about "in bevys and no magical powers". And it had robots.

I liked Escaflowne.

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblio wrote:

I kinda liked that "magical" 12 ep series that RB subbed a few years back (though its name eludes me now) :/

Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai?

I liked that one too.

-xo
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fushigi Yuugi .. heh, while we're on the subject of contraditions.. I liked it lots though..

I've been in the "download everything, watch later" category forever.. though usually, I do actually get to watching them.. just usually not before someone else can get to it and post a plot spot before I can.. heh..

I did manage to watch one new one tonight that I thought might be interesting.. Koroshiya Ichi.. but, was a bit too freaky for me.. not quite my style... surprised at myself for sticking with it 35 of the 43 or so minutes of it.. FMA is next on my hitlist.. oh, I did download Bottle Fairy too... have to wait and see on that one..
oblio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as new series synopsis go....
http://www.jascii.net/newanime/newanime.html

Make sure to look at the first week stuff... oh, and who else is waiting for the live action sailer moon! :) *spit*
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I grab for lots of folks besides just myself, I don't rule out a whole lot. Even really bad stuff (well, to me) will warrent a cd of the first few episodes just in case someone wants to sample it. For instance, Grappler Baki and Sonic X fell into this catagory. Of course a few things end up at the end of a DEL key strike as soon as their true horridness is known -- Mouse and Raimuiro Senkitan, for example -- but not really all that much.

As for mechs -- can't say they thrill me either, but a good story can make up for it. Escaflowne, Nadesico, NGE, even Stellvia. Speaking of which, I loved the line (paraphrasing): "But why did they make it look like a human" And it was never answered as I recall.

(inc)
deoch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing "live action sailor moon" only helps to open up wounds related to the US live action promo. :o

I'm not a big mech fan either. I guess I don't mind them if they don't overshadow everything else. I don't consider Stellvia to be a "mecha" series, for example...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum