abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

what kind of newsgroup - program do you use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necromancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: what kind of newsgroup - program do you use? Reply with quote

im using forte agent 1.9

im not that happy with this program.. any suggestions for a better program? maybe more user-friendly with a better overview for the content?

and by the way: im always have many unfinished or broken files on the news server. i think this depends on the server mhm? any idea?

necromancer
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use Power-Grab. It's freeware. I rather like it. Of course, you can only decode binary and can't post replies. But just for leeching, this works. Very Happy[/url]
necromancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much.. ill try this one ...
Smile
necromancer
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try power-grab... I couldn't tell from the website, does it do multi-server? gotta have my multiserver :P

I use newsbin right now.. an older version since they *cough* changed the registration scheme in newer version I think *cough*cough* It's not perfect.. but it does do multi-server pretty seamlessly.. missing a few multiparts if a post? grab what it can from local server, grab the missing ones from other server and download it like it was nothing else.. the whole renaming thing it does with the first character gets on my nerves sometimes though.. and the fact that it unloads and loads the header cache from memory is annoying.. as it'll have to reload it if you've left it open for a while and go back to search the list.. but otherwise, it's ok :P
LeonMcNichol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't think it does, but I'm not sure. Since I just download from verizon's news server.
superjaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Linux machine I use a combination of PAN for browsing and posting text messages, nget for leeching and newspost for posting binaries.

For what little usenet browsing/leeching I do in windows, I use Xnews. Normally when I do the leeching when I'm infront of my windows box I'll open a ssh session ot my linux box and run nget from there, rather than using xnews to leech. Same deal with posting, I'll open a ssh and do the posting from there via newspost.
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use tin in Linux and Free Agent on Windows, but for the last three years I've been using XNews on Windows for everything. I really like it.

I'm planning to switch to a batched grabber of some sort on Linux one of these days. Haven't got around to it yet though.
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? Currently Agent for general stuff, Newsbin for grabbing binaries across multiple servers & groups simultaneously, and PP2K variants for binary posts.

As for Agent vs. X-news -- I know both pretty well, but I seldom enter into that debate as it's pretty much gone into that PC/MAC status of almost being useless. I usually tell people to try both and see what fits them best. IMHO, both programs have some real flaws -- it just depends which of these flaws offend you the least. But also, Agent is now a moving target -- version 2 has entered internal testing, and it will be significantly different from the original.

(inc)
deoch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use grabit.. Easy to use and supports more than one thread/server.
http://www.shemes.com/grabit

For posting I use PP2k.. But that's pretty rare since I have an upload cap.
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Agent to see what's been posted since the last time I checked the newsgroups, and to do general messaging.

For binary downloading, I use News Shark (wmhsoft.com).

However, I long for multiserver functionality, and am looking forward to when Agent 2.0 is released either for public beta, or when it is actually released-- I have high hopes for it.
Chung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having those new features in Agent2 would be nice.. I've never been excited about a do-it-all program though (ie. Outlook ..BLEH). Hopefilly, one thing they do change is the way the store binaries... do a direct-to-disk method instead of into a db-dump of sorts and then you save it OUT of the db... Agent's method is horrid.. If they can bring that in, Agent just might be viable for a one-program solution again. I still remember long ago trying to do it all with agent.. header tracking and binary downloads.. heh, I'd have to do 2 or 3 downloads a day sometimes when it hit the 2GB limit in it's db.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Xnews in windows for both reading/posting messages and for dl'n binaries. It's been my mainstay and I know it's foibles and am comfortable with it. It can handle mutiple servers but doesn't have the power user features like combining multiple groups/servers into virtual groups/servers. I think it's a pretty good choice for new users since it's relatively easy to figure out. I can't comment or compare it to Agent since I've never given any version of Agent a try.

I have tried Newsbin Pro (a long time ago when I started following the anime groups) and it was nice for grabbing bins. I also gave NewsPro a try for a little bit when I was still on cable. A bit complicated on the settup side but it had some nice features for the power binary grabber.

For posting (back when I had the bandwidth to post... just filling a few requests) I stuck with a yEnc version of PP2K.

I've been away from linux for a couple years now (I miss it). I never really did any binary grabbing back then but I used to use slrn a bit for reading as well as trying out the earlier versions of PAN and playing with GNUS (emacs).
SD M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
On my Linux machine I use a combination of PAN for browsing and posting text messages, nget for leeching and newspost for posting binaries.

Ah, nget...
- allows multi-server operation with priority levels for the different servers
- supposedly the newest version automagically downloads exactly enough PAR/PAR2 files to repair the incomplete files (probably incompatible with my use of nget's "-K" option Wink )
- there's even a win32 binary for windoze users that can actually handle a commandline...
- its free

SD M
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD M wrote:

- supposedly the newest version automagically downloads exactly enough PAR/PAR2 files to repair the incomplete files (probably incompatible with my use of nget's "-K" option Wink )

Whoa!

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't upgraded my nget in a while. Can't wait to see how this works.

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up on nget's new "autopar" feature: it appears that it's able to identify files that are par files and only download enough needed to complete the archive set. So it saves on time, bandwidth, and disk space.

Another new behavior is that it appears to download and decode incompletes if par2 files are available to attempt recovery. Sweet! This was the hardest part about the switch to par2, I didn't want to get incompletes for *all* files, just the ones that had par2s available and just enough to let me fix it. Check it out:
Code:

Repair is required.
19 file(s) exist but are damaged.
54 file(s) are ok.
You have 2793 out of 2883 data blocks available.
You have 91 recovery blocks available.
Repair is possible.
You have an excess of 1 recovery blocks.
90 recovery blocks will be used to repair.

How sweet is that? That's straight off nget -g abma -r "myfile_of_interest", no special runs to try to grab more pars, incompletes, etc.

The only downside is that it names incomplete/partials with a suffix to sort of designate that it was broken and the command-line par2 utility doesn't have the ability to handle files unless they are named exactly right. So, a little renaming is in order.

All in all, not 100% perfect, but definitely a huge convenience in the new features.

Wait, this isn't freshmeat! Where am I?!?

-xo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum