abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Translation of "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Translation of "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" Reply with quote

I've always wondered what "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" translates to in English. I mean, obviously "Spirited Away" is not an especially accurate/literal translation, since Chihiro's name doesn't appear in it.

Anyone wanna take a stab?

-xo
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind - "Sen and Chihiro’s spiriting away".

Here's an interesting discussion - http://weblog.delacour.net/archives/2003/08/sen_to_chihiro_no_kamikakushi.php , especially on the emphasis of Sen in the title (not just Chihiro)

Last edited by xo on Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting bit of commentary. Both on the etymology of the Japanese title and some of the meaning behind the words as well as the comment on the shinto aspects.

I haven't watched it yet (time) but the commentary increases my interest more than the 'Big Anime Film' hype surrounding it does. Guess I'll have to bump it up a notch in my 'to watch' list.

P.S. You might want to ditch the comma included in the url. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum