abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Randori news?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onakra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Randori news? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experiences with the newsserver www.randori.com?
It looks like it's not too expensive with reasonable speeds. Only the retention doesn't seem that high.
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"AUTUMN SPECIAL - No Limit account - only $11.65 per month
(THREE MONTH MINIMUM - LIMITED TIME OFFER)."

Hmmm... No limit? They might regret that offer. Twisted Evil Sounds good if completion is decent, however thier retention seems more on a par with what many broadband isp's offer as opposed to the better known premium servers.

"Our goal is to keep binary articles for 3 days and text articles for 4-6 weeks."

For folks with a fat pipe it looks on the surface like it might be worth checking out if they were in need of another premium server (or a replacement as primary server for those who's local servers really suck). The low retention kills it's potential usefullness for us tiny pipe folks.

I'm still quite content with Easynews.
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really explored it, but Forte's (the Agent people) new service might fit some.

Quote:
Low-cost, fast, reliable Usenet service.
Retention up to 14 days for multi-part binaries.
Completion rates up to 98% for binaries.
Speed that is as fast as your Internet connection.
Multiple Service Plans to fit your needs and budget: Plan Type Pricing Starts At...
*Measured Plans $US 2.95 per month for a 2 Gigabyte account
*Unlimited Plans $US 5.50 per month for a Dialup account
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Of course they all say *...retention up to..* or *...our goal is...* -- I'd rather see *...at least XX days....*

(inc)
Chung

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Retention up to 14 days for multi-part binaries. "

Heh, that could mean a retention of 12hrs for all anyone would know.. To me, it still seems like EasyNews is one of the best premium providers around. Just checked a few minutes ago and their retention for abma is at 21 days... and there was even a news log about them working on improving retention, so yay for easynews.. plus, $10/mo for 6GB as fast as your can pull.. Just depends on how you play the game I guess.. if you're dedicated at every day downloads.. that unlimited account sounds kinda nice.. especcially for those people who have the really crappy usenet servers on their end.. Not sure what RR's retention is at now.. but I'm pretty sure it's at 2 days or less, now.. Been having to renew my easynews more than once a month cause I'm not typically one of those every-day downloaders.. though, I've been getting better.. dont like popping off on easynews more than one a month like that.. heh
zanson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:
Haven't really explored it, but Forte's (the Agent people) new service might fit some.

Quote:
Low-cost, fast, reliable Usenet service.
Retention up to 14 days for multi-part binaries.
Completion rates up to 98% for binaries.
Speed that is as fast as your Internet connection.
Multiple Service Plans to fit your needs and budget: Plan Type Pricing Starts At...
*Measured Plans $US 2.95 per month for a 2 Gigabyte account
*Unlimited Plans $US 5.50 per month for a Dialup account
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Of course they all say *...retention up to..* or *...our goal is...* -- I'd rather see *...at least XX days....*

(inc)

Their broadband unlimited plans suposedly have 5 day binary retention.

The per gb plans do have retention around 2 weeks, I got a free 1 month 2gb account because I signed up to try to be in the beta test (but didn't get in) of their service, and when the went live they offered everyone who signed up for the beta a 2gb account free for 1 month.

No one states "at least XX days" who is smart, one server fubar and you get all kinds of people asking for refunds etc because you didn't live up to what you advertised...
Onakra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking to switch to Randori, but more of an addon to my Newscene account. I still have the old account type (not available anymore); unlimited download with 2 connections per server and a 8 kb cap at $12,99 and I'm happy with that. Rentention is about 8 days in most groups and that's enough for me.

Luckily my ISP's server is ok too, but lately they have been dropping large volume groups. If I now want to get a game or DVD I have to do it at 4x 8kb/s which is not too fast... So I was looking to add a server which is not too expensive, no speed-cap and retention more than a day or 2. Randori seems ok for this purpose, but I haven't found people yet who actually have (or had) an account. Maybe I'll try it for a month to see how it is.
zanson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out any of the news group server review sites? This one has a pretty decent list of servers: http://www.newsgroupservers.net/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum