abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Danger! Don't Visit wallpaper.deviantart.com and Get IPU.exe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalvinLiu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Danger! Don't Visit wallpaper.deviantart.com and Get IPU.exe Reply with quote

IPU.exe, an ad-ware, keeps nagging me whenever I start running MS IE 6.

At first, I don't know why my IE kept popping up windows to somewhere I didn't want to see, and wondered some trojans having been installed into my computer unexpectedly. I installed Ad-aware, Spybot, and McAfee Antivirus to see if any help, but all in vain. Then I spent several hours searching and reading discuss messages left in internet about ad-ware and how it works with IE, and finally spotted the IPU.exe and a temporary file WWW2232.TMP in \Windows\Temp\. The WWW2232.TMP is locked and could not be removed by any mean, and by opening it with a text editor finally found a website called "wallpaper.deviantart.com/anime". After deleting IPU.exe and rebooting my computer, I noticed that I could remove the WWW2232.TMP easily. I wasted my precious six hours of weekend for that ad-ware.

So I remembered I had visited that website for searching some Full Metal Panic Fumoffu wallpapers for my PC, and unawared the sentence "Want to get rid of ads? Subscribe to deviantART now!" high above its logo -- the website owner intentionally set a despicable website to trap anime fans. What a shameful deed to anime fan society!

Since I also searched through internet and found no one complaining about that website, I hope someone who know any hacker to help remove that website's trojan and prevent any other innocent anime fans from suffering those ads by that website, or help tell others not to visit that website.
Melchior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just visited Deviantart.com, and couldn't find anything questionable about the site-- the "want to get rid of ads" link simply lets users subscribe to their site, disabling the banner ads-- nothing unusual or questionable about that. I didn't get infected while I was there, and there was nothing that I saw at that site that caused me to question its legitimacy. That's not to say that it's the type of site that I'd normally visit, though...
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely the spyware in question was recording what websites CalvinLiu was visiting and storing them in that locked temp file. Tracking web activity is, after all, one of the main activities of spyware.

I've never had any problems with DeviantArt either, and besides there's no way for a website to install executable software without your permission. Especially not if you've bothered to set reasonable security precautions in the prefs.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum