abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Eat my ass Rogers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Eat my ass Rogers Reply with quote

A few weeks back they sent me an email telling me I had to cut back on my usage. It was very vague, giving me no way to figure out how much I had to cut back per month, day, week or whatever. No numbers were given for hours spent or gigabytes downloaded/uploaded.

I cut back a little and thought everything was fine.

Then I came home one day a couple weeks later and was disconnected. I
called Rogers and they told me my account was suspended for excessive
usage. They agreed to turn it back on right away and told me to limit my
usage. Once again being very vague basically giving me nothing to go on.

This dick kept telling me that they couldn't give me any numbers.

Then about two weeks later I came home to find my service disconnected
again.

This time when I called them they told me it was suspended for seven days and there was nothing I could do about it.

I went back and forth with this bitch asking her how I'm supposed to know
how much I can download/upload per month if she couldn't tell me how much I could download/upload per month.

She told me my service would be automatically turned back on on Feb.10.

It wasn't.

I called and some other bitch told me she would put in an order to have
it turned back on the next day.

This is some great customer service eh?

They seem to be playing a zoning game. Only picking on people in certain
areas with higher amounts of users.

It's all about money. Not wanting to upgrade their service. Rogers is
being cheap and greedy.

Oddly enough it was turned back on yesterday.

I called Bell Sympatico(DSL) on Feb.05, the day after my account was
suspended and asked the very important question, "do you have limits"?

The answer thankfully, is "no". Sympatico is truly unlimited. I can run a
file-sharing program 24/7 if I want to.

I'll call up Rogers tomorrow and tell them to blow me.

I'll be telling them this is what happens when you treat your customers
so poorly. They go elsewhere.

The sympatico news-server sucks donkey balls, but I knew that already. Nothing is complete. I think I'll get Octanews 8GB for $7.95. I'm sure I won't need more than 8GB a month since I use BT so much now.

So far my max download speed on BT has been ~122KBps and max upload speed ~65KBps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SD M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Eat my ass Rogers Reply with quote

Neuralblastoma wrote:

The answer thankfully, is "no". Sympatico is truly unlimited. I can run a
file-sharing program 24/7 if I want to.

There is no such thing as "unlimited"...
If a customer costs a company money instead of making them money,
of course they don't want that person as a customer.

"All you can eat" places only exist because stomach sizes put a _limit_ on
how much one can eat.

I think that for 'heavy users' it might be smarter to choose an ISP that sets clear
'x' GByte/month traffic limits instead of risking being cut off/kicked out at an ISP
that uses a "fair use" policy...
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeek, this is like horror story!

I hope things work out with the new provider, NB. Meanwhile, I cringe whenever I receive any mail from Comcast...

-xo
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eat my ass Rogers Reply with quote

[quote="SD M"]

[quote="SD M"]

I know that's the general rule and I understand what you mean.

However...

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with not one, but two Sympatico employees asking many questions before deciding to switch.

The first person(a girl) told me it was unlimited and I said, "really? if I ran a file-sharing program 24/7 I wouldn't get in trouble"? She said, "no, I'm not kidding it's really unlimited. I'll stake everything on that. I'll give you my name and I.D. number. There used to be an 8GB per month limit, but not anymore".

I told her my Rogers story and she sounded about half as upset as I was. "No way"! she said, when I told her Rogers suspended me for seven days and couldn't tell me how many gigs I went over.

I told my Rogers story to the other person(a guy) who she transferred me to and he sounded about as puzzled as I was. "That's a funny way to run a business", he said.

I asked him if Sympatico was really unlimited and if I could download and upload all day every day without getting in trouble and he said yes to both.

I've already downloaded and uploaded several gigs with BT over these last two days and will continue to do so with no worries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eimaj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rogers too and i am waiting for the call

between my roommate and I - we must be getting about 100 Gig a month
but they havent said anything.

symatico is great -- if I end up having a problem i will switch in a second

the only reason i stay with rogers is the NGs

you should look at astroweb or usenetserver they both offer unlimited downloading for $15 USD and they both have 10 day retention
eimaj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah and heres a true story about there customer service

My old roommates upgraded the roger 1.5 MB connection to the 3 MB connection. After a few months they notice that the speed wasnt as good as it should be. They called roger support and the tech at rogers said that it was their old cable modem (modem is from 1999)
Heres the kicker - the modem deptment refused to send them a new modem - they said that they're not allow to replace modems because of speed issues.

They switched to sympatico and have had great speeds, plus the upload is twice that of rogers.
SD M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eat my ass Rogers Reply with quote

Neuralblastoma wrote:
SD M wrote:

I know that's the general rule and I understand what you mean.

However...

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with not one, but two Sympatico employees asking many questions before deciding to switch.

The first person(a girl) told me it was unlimited and I said, "really? if I ran a file-sharing program 24/7 I wouldn't get in trouble"? She said, "no, I'm not kidding it's really unlimited. I'll stake everything on that. I'll give you my name and I.D. number. There used to be an 8GB per month limit, but not anymore".

Hmm, helpdesk people...
In the Netherland helpdesk people of the former state-owned telco didn't yet know their
telco wasn't the only one offering ADSL 1-2 years after other telcos started offering ADSL!..

Unless I could get such an answer, as you wrote about above, confirmed by a 'core' techie of the company,
I myself would take such an answer by a helpdesk person with at least a pebble of salt... Wink

PS, did you read points 17 and 18 of Sympatico's terms & conditions?
If I read those correct, they can reduce your speed to 64/64kbit , close you off,
delete your e-mail or zap your modem with 6000 volts just for fun without
giving you any ground to complain...
~Lain of the Wired~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympatico sure sounds great -- I just got my first warning email about a week ago.

However, if I remember correctly, Sympatico charges extra money for using more bandwidth than 10GB/month (up and down), is that true?
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eat my ass Rogers Reply with quote

SD M wrote:

Hmm, helpdesk people...
In the Netherland helpdesk people of the former state-owned telco didn't yet know their telco wasn't the only one offering ADSL 1-2 years after other telcos started offering ADSL!..

Yes, that certainly says a lot about Sympatico's tech support/customer service. Ottawa, the Netherlands, Sympatico's customer service, your ISP's customer service...they're obviously all the same.

Having now been with both Rogers and Sympatico, I can tell you first hand that there is absolutely no comparison between the customer service/tech support of the two.

Rogers has always had piss-poor customer service and brain-dead tech support agents and shows no signs of ever improving.

Sympatico's customer service/tech support is shockingly good. They actually know what they're doing and will do everything to help you. I have nothing negative to say about them.

Why are you trying so hard to convince me(and others?) that Sympatico doesn't have unlimited bandwidth usage? Does the thought of me having unlimited bandwidth usage bother you that much?

SD M wrote:

PS, did you read points 17 and 18 of Sympatico's terms & conditions?
If I read those correct, they can reduce your speed to 64/64kbit , close you off, delete your e-mail or zap your modem with 6000 volts just for fun without giving you any ground to complain...

And how is that any different from every other ISP? They all reserve the right to do anything they want.

There is nothing regarding bandwidth limits in their Terms and Conditions. Point 5 .ii in the Service Agreement states that you get unlimited bandwidth usage.
http://service.sympatico.ca/system/printerfriendly-all.cfm?SDID=625&SDCategoryID=113&page=1

Rogers of course does mention that you have to comply with current bandwidth limitations while not giving any numbers.

Aside from all this, I live in Ottawa and know many Rogers and Sympatico users who know other users and so on. While I have heard of several Rogers customers who have gotten email warnings and suspensions, I haven't heard of a single Sympatico user getting any warnings or having their modem zapped with 6000 volts or anything else of the sort since lifting their 8GB/month cap. Not one.

You see, unlike Rogers(and I'm guessing many other ISP's), Bell Sympatico continually upgrades their service to meet the demands of their customers. They put money into their business.

I was with Rogers for 3 years and 8 months and watched the service slowly turn to shit as more and more new users in my area got hooked up and slowed everything down during peak hours and Sundays.

Instead of upgrading their service to meet the demands of their customers, they send their customers email warnings and suspend their accounts.

I experience no slowdowns during peak hours with Sympatico and my connection is much more stable.

You're all the way in the Netherlands so you're hardly in any position to compare Sympatico to your ISP. Have you ever spoken to any other Sympatico users besides myself? If not, I invite you to seek some out(especially in Ottawa) and ask them anything you want.

You could start with eijmaj right here in this thread. He knows at least two Sympatico users in Toronto who sound pretty happy with the service.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Lain of the Wired~ wrote:
Sympatico sure sounds great -- I just got my first warning email about a week ago.

However, if I remember correctly, Sympatico charges extra money for using more bandwidth than 10GB/month (up and down), is that true?

No. They used to have an 8GB/month limit, but lifted it awhile back. It's now unlimited.

When I told my Rogers story to one of the Sympatico agents(the guy) he was surprised that Rogers didn't just charge me extra instead of suspending me because he had heard of other ISP's doing that. Sympatico does not.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eimaj wrote:
I have rogers too and i am waiting for the call

between my roommate and I - we must be getting about 100 Gig a month
but they havent said anything.

It could have something to do with your area. If you don't live in an area with a lot of other Rogers users then you don't have anything to worry about.

My best friend has Rogers and lives in Richmond. Do you know where that is? It's roughly a 30min drive from my place and is a fairly remote area. There are very few other Rogers users in his area and so he hasn't experienced any slowdowns or other problems that I had been having for the past few months.

eimaj wrote:

symatico is great -- if I end up having a problem i will switch in a second

the only reason i stay with rogers is the NGs

you should look at astroweb or usenetserver they both offer unlimited downloading for $15 USD and they both have 10 day retention

I'll be getting an Octanews account. $7.95 US for 8GB 7 day retention. Besides the nice price another nice thing about them is that you can take as long as you want to use up the 8GB. Since I use BT so much now, I'm sure that 8GB will last me about 6 weeks. We'll see. I'll be getting an account within the next week or two. I'll probably buy 16GB to start with.
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with BT I eat through 8gb like it's nothing. Plus Usenetserver (which is what I have been using as of late) has a little less than a 20ish day retention on aba/ma/mar so I can be lazy sometimes. I get great speeds with them also.
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai-Jinn wrote:
Even with BT I eat through 8gb like it's nothing. Plus Usenetserver (which is what I have been using as of late) has a little less than a 20ish day retention on aba/ma/mar so I can be lazy sometimes. I get great speeds with them also.

I will keep that in mind, but I want to see how far 8GB will take me first since I really like the price.

Oh, and if anyone wants to see another Sympatico page other than the Service Agreement stating that there is no bandwidth limit...
http://www.service.sympatico.ca/ServiceDesk/ServiceDesk-Content.cfm?SDID=215&SDCategoryID=5&Page=1
deoch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some pretty awful service with Rogers! I hope your move to Sympatico works out for you.
seraphim@sentex.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: EVIl Rogers. Reply with quote

I have had the same Rogers experience up in Toronto.
So far (supposedly) I'm on my final warning due to my direct-connect using roomie.

I talked ot the tech support people at Rogers who were evasive.
Then, calling from another number I tried ot get them to again to say if there was a cap or not...as well as their policy.
They of course would not help me out and said only their "security" office could handle my questions (but could not connect me to said office unless I was a user and had been disconnected)
they kept insisting I give them an account nmber or name (gee I wonder why) and I kepty saying I was simply asking a question and even if I was simply considering the @Rogers service I at least should have that information before making an informed purchasing decision.
well, no go with that.
I have heard through the grapevine the "nonexistant" cap is around 20GB but that depends as well on the users in your particulair service "branch"

but of course then things could change.
what a helpful and flexable policy....
for them.

N.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum