abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Whatcha watching/downloading?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Whatcha watching/downloading? Reply with quote

My latest watches have been Gokusen (great!), ROD TV, (good), and Scrapped Princess (also good). Everyone compares Gokusen to GTO and the similarities are hard to dismiss, but I loved GTO and also enjoyed Gokusen on its own merits. Certainly, I think the backlash at places like animenfo (and the concomittant low rating) is unwarranted.

I'm thinking next maybe Mahoromatic or Haibane Renmei.

Newer stuff I'm downloading lately (ie series I'm committed to downloading to completion) : Aishiteruze Baby, Madlax, Monster, Paranoia Agent, PlanetES, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, and Tenjou Tenge.

PA and PlanetES are a bit older but they've been stalled so long on releases. Actually, that's true of a lot of series lately.

-xo (trying to kick start this joint)
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haibane Renmei is good. It's kindof slow, but it is a great anime.

I have a lot on my hd atm and I'm trying to sort through which I can be committed to watching without using much of my thought processes and then deleting soon after to keep room avail. I save the good anime for later =P

I kindof get upset when I watch an anime and then grow really attached to it when it isnt done being subbed yet, lol...

I haven't watched Naruto since like ep20 or so... and I haven't seen GITS since ep 8ish? because of that reason. I wonder if it will ever stop so I can watch them =P
LaughnCynic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen the first episode of Gokusen (have it all) so no comment there but I enjoyed ROD TV quite a bit (I loved the OVA so I guess that's predictable). I have all of Scrapped Princess but it's on the back burner for now. I never finished PlanetES. Again, I just haven't gotten around to it though I enjoyed the first 8 episodes or so that I watched when I was first dl'n it.

I'm currently enjoying Monster, and finishing up Paranoia Agent, Koi Kaze, and GANTZ. Monster has been pretty good so far, a bit of suspense and mystery with a kind of horror overtone. Paranoia Agent has been fun, interesting, and surreal while Koi Kaze is serious drama handling an 'adult' subject quite well I think (nice for a change of pace). GANTZ I've found I don't care for much. I have come to find I have that old DBZ feeling when I watch it (ie 5 minutes of plot stretched out for 25 minutes of overly dramatic pauses and internal dialog per episode... Not my cup of tea).

I've checked out the first 2 episodes of Samurai Champloo and the first episode of Samurai 7. I liked the first episode of Samurai Champloo but found episode 2 a bit of a down turn so I'll grab at least 1 or 2 more before I decide to continue with it or dump it. The animation is nice and it could be good but I was a bit put off by episode 2 feeling very predictable to me. The opening of episode 1 of Samurai 7 put me off a bit too (not a big giant robot anime fan) but once it got to the actual characters it got better. A nice character style and animation IMO. I'll be checking out more of it.

I am eagerly awaiting the next episodes of the OVA's Interlude and Petit Cosette, the first episodes of which I enjoyed. I found Petit Cossette's artsy gothic/horror look and feel combined with it's very good haunting soundtrack quite compelling (though some might find the cgi used in parts of it a bit jarring).

I also sat down and watched the whole first season of Gits:SAC over a few days a few weeks back then started the 2nd season (up to episode 10 so far). Interesting and enjoyable with all it's political intrigue and power struggles though oddly not quite as much fun as I was expecting. Might just be me wanting too much from it. Confused Don't get me wrong though it is a 'must download' for me still.

I'm curious as to which of the newest crop folks are finding worthwhile myself.

I looked at episode 1 of KURAU Phantom Memory the other day but it left me undecided (1 episode usually isn't enough to make a decision on *sigh*). I also grabbed episode 1 of the 2nd season of Maria-sama ga Miteru which I guess I'll classify as a guilty pleasure because I found the first season's soppy sentimentality and strange yuri overtones oddly amusing.

From reviews I've read so far of the newest crop the top of my 'check out' list are: Otogizoushi, DearS, and Girls Bravo (guess I'm in a bit of a fanservice mood with the last 2).

P.S. I enjoyed Mahoromatic season 1 with it's mix of over the top sillyness and serious undertone. I never finished watching the 2nd season (yet another series on my back burner) but what I saw of the first part of it was good too.

P.P.S. Doh! Forgot to mention Gunslinger Girl (which I finally got around to finishing up). If you haven't seen it yet it's a good one. My first impression of it wasn't good but it turned out to be an excellant series.
Kai-Jinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the first two episodes of Girls Bravo, but DearS didn't upset my stomach too badly. If I were to choose 1 of the 2, it would definitely be DearS having only seen the first two episodes. Even though the teacher is a bit............. yeah.

I saw Sensei Ojikan to see if I should DL more of that. I was hating it within 1 minute =P
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking next maybe Mahoromatic or Haibane Renmei.

Obviously I'm more than a bit late with this -- been on vacation -- but I've got HR in my top 10 list, hence a recommendation, FWIW, from this quarter.

(inc)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum