abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Renaming files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I rename files
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Renaming files Reply with quote

I rename files. I don't know why fan sub groups name their files like they do; the TITLE should go first. Why would I want to sort by the group name???

Outside of that, too, while things like checksum is handy during transit, I don't want that cluttering up my listings once I have the file. Same goes for unnecessary padding and punctuation marks.

Here's an example of how I rename:
Code:

[Anime-Keep]_Rozen_Maiden_-_01_[BBDE1130].avi
Rozen Maiden-01[keep].avi

Of course, this makes it kind of a pain when using torrents sometimes; like when they do a bulk torrent and I have 5 out of 6, I have to go back and rename those 5 to the expected names. Pain.

(Edited my example - from "sfv" to "avi" :p)

Last edited by xo on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
~Lain of the Wired~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always rename my files too; I only keep the title and the episode number. I think files names like "[Anime-Keep]_Rozen_Maiden_-_01_[BBDE1130].sfv" are very messy and hard to read, especially if I have a folder full of such files from various groups with a dozen different naming systems. The only reason that I can think of why fansub groups name files that way is that they want to "advertise" for their group.
(inc)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to always rename, but use of torrents has basically stopped that -- maybe I've gotten lazier too, lol.

(inc)
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, always rename. I used to just get rid of the sub group's name, but now I tend to place it after the series name and episode number. Usually I keep the checksum-- never know when it might come in handy...
Chung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lazy.. very much so.. the only time I rename is if I can't burn it with that filename.. and I fuss all the way doing it too.... even though it's usually just a one line command... still, of all the annoyances... heh
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rename, but less drastically now than I used to. I used to just use an acronym of the series name plus the episode number to keep the names short, but then I noticed that several series had the same acronym. I now keep the series name intact unless it's really long, and add the eipsode number and a suffix indicating the language mode.

I've got no use for preserving the fansub group or checksum or anything like that, and I don't like having characters like []' ' etc in a filename because they have to be escaped on the command-line.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum