abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

VCD, SVCD, etc.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: VCD, SVCD, etc. Reply with quote

All righty. Here's a doozy for everyone. As far as I know, there isn't much that can be done about this. After converting most fansubs to VCD/SVCD, there are often many times when the subtitles will be cut off on both sides. I know why this occurs, but I wonder if anyone has found an easy way around it? I usually use TMPGenc to convert my files. Any help?
Neuralblastoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy.

I've been converting DivX to VCD/SVCD ever since I got a DVD player in August 2001.

You need to make a border around the image. For VCD I usually use Panasonic MPEG-1 Encoder. Specail Processing-Enable Cropping-Add Black-30 top, bottom, left and right for 4:3(1:33:1) ratios and 80 top and bottom, 40 left and right for 16:9(1:85:1) ratios.

For TMPGEnc go to settings-advanced-video arrange method-centre(custom size). For 1:33:1 SVCD use 420x420. For 1:33:1 VCD use 312x200.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I'll give that a shot tonight while I'm watching Smallville. Oh the shame of being addicted to something on the WB.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update for anyone interested. I was working with the HqAi-Fansubs releases of FMP. They are 640x480 encodes. I am converting these into XVCD's that have a resolution of 720x480. Using TMPGenc, I'm creating them at about a 2200 bitrate (probably going to up it to 2500 for shits and giggles). I set the center (custom) setting mentioned above to 660x440 and have gotten perfect results. I was really impressed at how well this worked. At one point in the fansub, the subtitles extended all the way to the edge of the screen. On the XVCD, the equivilant of maybe one or two pixels at the most were cut off. It looks absolutely beautiful. I'm archiving these eps onto tape so I can show them off to some friends of mine.

Just thought people would want to know that for XVCD, 660x440 is the correct adjustment to make.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum