abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

It's that time again (FLCL ranting)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: It's that time again (FLCL ranting) Reply with quote

Time to take another kick in the groin from US DVD producers. This time, Digital Manga is the culprit. Their crimes?

1. What's in a name? FLCL is being released as "Fooly Cooly" not "Furi Kuri" as it's usually called. That's ok, I guess. Admitedly I JUST now saw FLCL after god knows how long I had to endure people telling me how I just HAD to see this amazing anime. Besides, there have been worse title snafu's before.

[Edit: Well, paint me stupid. I just watched the last episode and saw the "Fooly Coolly" actually in the episode. I suppose that's where they got it.]

2. Someone wanna loan me $90? FLCL is 6 episodes long. Unfortunately, it looks like Digital Manga hired Anderson Worldwide to figure out how many DVDs it would take because it's coming out on 3 - 60 minute discs. This is the greatest outrage, in my opinion. FLCL could easily be put on one disc. For quality reasons, I would have liked to see a two-disc set priced at around 34.99 if they didn't have extras and 39.99 if they did (So far, looks like the 60 minute discs have no extras). At the very most, a two volume set would have been sufficient. Something similar to the Kenshin OAV. There's not much that's going to help me get over this one. To quote an outraged fan in the store, "It's gonna cost me $90!?!? What's the extra feature; a blowjob from the CEO of the company?"

3. There really isn't a 3. I thought I might be able to squeeze a few more outrages out of this, but that's about it.

Last edited by AlienBoy on Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Highspar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currious is that $90 US or $90 CND? I was tempted to get the Cowboy bebop dvds, until I saw that they were $45 CND a piece! I'm not sure what the rational is to this, but there is no price equalization from American anime dvds to Canada like there is for the standard movie dvds. Unless you can walk down to your local Wallmart (I guess, I'm just going to say all stores in the US are Wallmart, becuase I feel like making a Gross generalization) and get a dvd for like $9.99.

So, instead of making it reasonable, and charging like $25 or I'd even be willing to go as high as $30 for a dvd, they just slap on $10 and add the exchange rate. So instead of having a sizable anime DVD collection, my current count stands at... 2. and it's going to double at the end of april, when I get Berserk and Golden boy. Yes I have both on CD, but damn it, I'm not going to be a hypocite anymore, and actually BUY some of this anime that I enjoy, in hopes that more will be made like it.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's $90 US. The discs will run $29.99 a piece, though online will be cheaper. I'll be getting Berserk and Golden Boy as well. Berserk was the first fansub I ever owned. I've got all the manga and figures too. Might as well round out the collection. I haven't seen Golden Boy, but with this much buzz around it I'll probably enjoy it. It's funny that if the mass population raves about a movie, I'm probably going to hate it. But when the mass population of anime fans raves about something, I'm probably going to like it.
Highspar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god. That means if the pattern holds, for the 3 disk FLCL series, it'll be $160 CND. I liked the series, but not that much. I guess I'll have to live with my fansubs.
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the R2 DVDs actually had pretty darn good English subs (better than some fansubs IMO) so if you really like FlCl, buy the R2 versions instead, the money will go to gainax :P
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...yeah, but they were even worse on the wallet. 6 DVDs and about 3000 yen a pop. Nothing cheaper on Ebay, either. *Sigh* I guess whenever I start complaining about the state of things here I should always think about the way they are in Japan. That makes even Canadian standards look semi-decent.

I'm just an arrogant, spoiled American who, like with any addiction, wants his shit high quality and cheap. Is that so wrong? Probably...
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the cost of anime DVDs for Canadians goes, yeah, it sucks. I'm amazed that I've been able to buy as much as I have.

However, it's not often that I get stuck paying $45/DVD. Here are some links:
http://www.cnl.com/ CNL Media Distribution, in Burnaby BC. Prices vary from super-cheap to nearly-retail.
http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/ It's Canadian, but I can't remember where it's based out of. Prices are often quite cheap.
http://www.jpophelp.com/ Mostly Taiwanese releases and Japanese releases. A few R1 releases. Prices vary, but they're in Canadian dollars.

I may as well mention that given the sheer volume of anime DVDs out there, I've decided to boycott all 3-episode-per-disc releases. If they can't release a reasonable amount of anime onto a disc for a reasonable price, they can't have my money. I'm willing to accept 4 eps per DVD, but IMO even that's pushing it. Anime DVDs are soooooooooooooooo much more expensive than non-anime DVDs.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed. Jpophelp has the Japanese Berserk set for $43 CAN. That's a pretty good deal (Much less than the US release will be). The Flame of Recca Boxset isn't too bad either....hmm.....may have to grab that one come payday.
Melchior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only comment there is that their Berserk box set is a Hong Kong release-- meaning it's not legit. It is video, however, and the video quality of HK/Taiwanese releases has been improving quite a bit over the last couple years. Sub quality, on the other hand, is as inaccurate as ever-- some of the HK releases that I've seen have "english" subs that are barely-comprehensible. (I'm not saying the Berserk box'll be like that, but I'm just saying to bear that in mind if you do decide to order it)
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've thought about that. I was thinking about grabbing the Read or Die DVD off of Ebay (I'll pick up the US release too, but I'm impatient). I just ordered my first Hong Kong DVD the other day so I'll probably base any future decisions off of it once it comes in. If anything, the shadyness factor alone is pretty high up there. If onlt there were a review site for such DVDs....anyone know of any? Obviously the seller is going to tell me that the quality is superb.

Veering even further from the original topic, can anyone suggest any good DVDs they've seen from Hong Kong? Preferably ones that lack US releases. I feel the need to blow some money sometime in the very near future.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum