abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

The new wonder drug? or more placebo...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chung

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: The new wonder drug? or more placebo... Reply with quote

After reading inc's last post.. DivX5.. I've heard mixed feelings about it.. Some say it's great.. other's say not so much.. Wondering what the crowd out there thinks.. I'm still using DivX4, as I haven't seen a need to install yet another codec on my box since the only thing I've seen DivX5 so far is Dream-Anime's stuff.. or at least that I've noticed. Seems it's still got a ways down the road to general acceptance, though..

--Chung
user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few small test re-encodes with DivX5 (with only B-frames enabled, no q-pel or psycho), and while I couldn't see any significant CPU hit on playback, I didn't find any great quality gain either. I have more issues with the installer and trying to untangle the mess it makes of the divx3 and divx4 codecs.

Personally, I'll probably stick with divx3/4 for now and wait until divx5 matures a bit more.
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user wrote:

I have more issues with the installer and trying to untangle the mess it makes of the divx3 and divx4 codecs.

If you happen to figure an easy way out, let me know. I installed it fore of the episodes I downloaded (can't even remember what) and I couldn't see anything truly great about divx5. I uninstalled it because it was screwing with my other files. Then again, I think I had the same problems when I first installed divx 4 so maybe things will clear up on down the line.
earthdark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say, let's keep on using tried and true formats like Vivo.
(inc)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To amplify what I said elsewhere, that wasn't really an endorsement of the current iteration. For instance, though it runs fine on my main computer, I have one box that, so far, gets indigestion every time divx5 is installed.

As for the current divx5 posts, it's hard to say how much bloat there is -- some may just not want to take the time to make it small. As an example, on a 1-pass quality based encode (at slowest and the default Quantizer), with Quarter Pixel, GMC and Bidirectional Encoding all enabled (1 pass because I thought it might give a clearer idea of what the other parameters did across multiple episodes), the time required to do a run seems to about double. But tests at these settings on Melchior's FBC's went as low in size as 88M (with a divx5 resize down to 488x366), and, except for a slight muting of the colors, seem virtually indistinguishable from the original post.

But I’m still pretty ignorant on what makes an encode small or large. Previously I’ve been pretty much able to look at a show and by noting its motion, color range, light/dark ratio, etc., have at least a general idea what size range it might end up at. Other additional things are going on with divx5 – I’m finding that the re-encoded size range does not necessarily follow the same curve as the original encode – even though episode X might be much larger then episode Y as divx3, it might end up considerably smaller then Y when both are re-encoded to divx5. Probably the Global Motion Compensation and the B-frames in action, but I guess I need to read up on it some more – I’m feeling ignorant. And I’ve barely played with the 2-pass at all.

(inc)
oblio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(inc) wrote:

But tests at these settings on Melchior's FBC's went as low in size as 88M (with a divx5 resize down to 488x366), and, except for a slight muting of the colors, seem virtually indistinguishable from the original post.

Well, I did the rip/encodes on those, and its worth mentioning that my GOAL was to inflate them to 2 eps per CD. The project was one of archival rather than "preparation for internet posting", and the posting was an afterthought. Melchior graciously offered to finish up the posts for me since I just don't have the pipe.

Anyway, I was doing as much as I could to preserve and enhance the quality of the LDs so that these could be used in as diverse as ways as possible- for example, besides my reference copy, for use, I keep a SVCD copy of the series, and they converted to SVCD absolutely cleanly.

I understand wasted bits and I'm not really sure how much of that there is... (vis a vis divx4). Some of those files werent getting any bigger no matter what bitrate I ran them at, others still could have bloated more.

*shrug* I figured I would mention that, just because I don't think these episodes are the real bellweather for divx4 v divx5 comparisons in "good" compression.

ob
(inc)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I knew that ob -- I wasn't signaling out your encodes -- sorry if I didn't make that clear. They just happened to be the ones I was mentioning 'cause I had just done a lot of them. ;-) The source material or its size really doesn't matter -- I was just looking more for something that looked good already, and yours do, and _still_ looked good after being munched down to the 100-120M range -- the range I would dearly love to be able to post decent encodes in. Doing this kind of thing with some of the mpegs being posted is actually harder to judge, because they tend to look rather mediocre to bad already. I find it easier to subjectively check how I'm doing, the better the source material -- I hate judging degrees of *badness*. ( It's a complement... ;-) )

(inc)
user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

If you happen to figure an easy way out, let me know. I installed it fore of the episodes I downloaded (can't even remember what) and I couldn't see anything truly great about divx5. I uninstalled it because it was screwing with my other files. Then again, I think I had the same problems when I first installed divx 4 so maybe things will clear up on down the line.

From one of the forums on doom9, this registry patch should allow the 3.11alpha codec to be used again for divx3 playback:

http://www.chibijasmin.com/DivX5NotPlayDivX3.rar

Worked for me on Win2K, YMMV.

Divx5 appears to overwrite the divx.dll that divx4 uses, as well as use the same fourcc code. So if you want to use divx4 for encoding but still keep divx5 around, I think you'll have to edit the registry some more to rename the divx4 codec. If you've installed divx5 already, then this probably means you'll have to uninstall 5, reinstall 4, hax0r the registry and rename 4, then reinstall 5. Shocked

More details in this forum:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19300
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be giving that a try tonight. Doesn't look like there should be any problems.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Encoding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum