abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

yEnc subject lines

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we use the draft-proposed subject lines now?
I think, it's possible.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
No way! Keep the "$F" at the end!
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
What's yEnc???
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Tobias Rieper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: yEnc subject lines Reply with quote

Okay, I'm preparing my first yEnc post and have now to decide about the proper subject line.

Problem is, that the subject line format proposed in the yEnc draft will confuse some readers (esp. Agent) so that they can't autocombine the headers. That's why most posters aren't using the draft.

But nowadays the yEnc enabled readers (even Agent) can understand the draft-conform subject lines too.

So, is it possible to switch now or are there still too many old readers out there? (Or maybe some other incompatible readers.)

T.Rieper
Onakra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use the line "RequireFilenameWithTag=1" (default) in my agent.ini I still have problems with yEnc posts not combining when it's posted with Xnews. I haven't really paid attention to it, but do more recent versions of Xnews don't have that problem anymore?
user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: yatta yatta Reply with quote

I just tried a few test posts using Xnews 5.03.24. Xnews still puts the filesize as the last thing on the subject line, but it seems to combine okay with Gravity (sorry, I don't have Agent installed.) But personally I'd prefer to have the filename at the very end as before.
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing alt.binaries.test, if Agent has RequireFilenameWithTag=0, posts of both Xnews versions L5 & 5.03.24 will autojoin. If RequireFilenameWithTag=1, the L5 post will still autojoin, the 5.03.24 post will not. Going from L5 to 5.03.24, the yEnc was moved before the file name, and, more important to Agent, the segment count swapped places with the part size.

L5: file + yEnc + count + size
5.03.24: yEnc + file + size + count

(inc)
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to keep the $F at the end, but I don't really feel strongly about it. It shouldn't matter much where the yEnc bit goes, because it's simple enough to grep for it. Identifying the filename and segment number is harder. Either way, software can and will be updated to handle the more popular format, or maybe even both, so it's only a temporary inconvenience.
deoch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter to me, since I use Xnews... Either way..
HollyBerries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Agent 1.91 can handle traditional weird yENC subject lines now. Agent itself makes the subject line pretty darn funky when you tell it to encode in yENC, as evidenced by my recent Kanon ep 10 post in a.b.m.a.r. - it puts all kinds of weird stuff like how big the part is on the end after the file name. I still see spread out postings with Agent 1.91, but not when they're yENC, I don't think. Just when they've been posted with a space at the end or something.

Or quite possibly I'm smoking crack. One of the two Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum