abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

.hack//SIGN thougts anyone?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: .hack//SIGN thougts anyone? Reply with quote

Well, I just watched 5 minute segments of ep 2 of both the E-F and chikara translations (around the 8-10 minute mark) -- there are some interesting variations between the two. The only one here who speaks some Japanese is sleeping in today, so I'd thought I'd see if abma.x-maru denizens have some thougts on the relative merits of the two fan-subs (heh, got a minor flame when I asked this type of Q in the groups). The E-F version certainly flows better, but is it as accurate?

(inc)
Firecaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched Episode 1 and 2 of EF's release, and episode 2 of CF's release. My roleplaying group is really interested in this series just because it's so weird for us to be watching an anime about the players in a MMORPG.

Disclaimer: I don't speak much Japanese at all, just enough that I could probably get by in Japan using very simple phrases and such. Also, the goal of this message is not to razz either fansubbing group, but rather to compare translations and techniques.

There's not much difference between the two translations. EF's translation does flow better, but Chikara's seems a little more accurate, though disjointed. In the ending theme, Chikara romanizes/translates the ending song more accurately than EF does.

Technique-wise, I much prefer Chikara's. EF is using an extremely large italicized font that's very, VERY distracting. I like medium-sized fonts in fansubs, and the sheer size feels like it's "in my face" and distracts me from the show. Maybe if it were that sized but not italicized, it wouldn't be so bad...

Chikara has a problem in episode 2 where they put way too much text on the screen at one point, but it's good otherwise. I like the font, though they could remove some of the spacing between lines and it would still be nice.

Encoding-wise... I have NO complaints from either side on the quality of the encodes. They're great! Though EF left a weird blip at the beginning of Episode 2, but VirtualDub can fix that.

EF has been around much longer than Chikara, I think, so in a way they kind of have an advantage. Chikara has come a long way from their translations and encodes of Rave, though, so I'm willing to give the "little guy" a chance. They're doing a great job so far, both sides are. Very Happy
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firecaster wrote:
so weird for us to be watching an anime about the players in a MMORPG.

Is that what it's about?!?!? Ok, I have to get this now. I really need to start keeping on top of things. I've been a little depressed ever since Full Metal Panic got licensed (shouldn't I be happy?). Any more comments on the E-F/Chikara differences are welcome. I think I'm leaning a bit towards Chikara. I think it's all right to give the "little guy" a chance.
Firecaster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:

Is that what it's about?!?!? Ok, I have to get this now. I really need to start keeping on top of things.

Well, it's kind of hard to know when all the information out there is in Japanese on Flash pages... here's what I know so far:

There are four components to the .hack Project:

- .hack (the PS2 game)
- .hack//Sign (the TV series)
- .hack (the OAV series)
- .hack (the manga)

Lemme see if I remember all this right. The PS2 game is a MMORPG in which players play in "The World". The events in the game take place after the events in the TV series. The TV series is a set up for the PS2 game. I think the OAV series chronicles the events that take place in the game from the perspective of the real world. The manga is supposed to be based off the TV series.

Of course, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. ^^;

AlienBoy wrote:

I've been a little depressed ever since Full Metal Panic got licensed (shouldn't I be happy?).

Nah. I can't stand it when companies license anime as it's still being shown in Japan. Call me a pessimist, but I've found that they always seem to sit on the license and wait a while to bring it out (if ever). But that's just me...
AlienBoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's my big worry, that they'll just sit on it forever. Berserk has been licensed for about 2 years and it's just now getting its DVD release.

Thanks for the info on .hack So far, I like what I see.
fureimu

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little correction (has nothing to do with .hack//sign though). Chikara-Fansubs is not the same 'CF' that is fansubbing Rave. Choco-Fansubs are the ones doing Rave. I don't recall ever seeing any Rave releases by Chikara.

Back to the topic, I've only watched E-F's release of it, and while the font in episode two annoyed me it's still pretty nice. Episode 3 was especially nice due to its small filesize and excellent quality.
Firecaster

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that explains a few things. Thanks for the correction, fureimu. Surprised
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Fansub Groups All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum