abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

How do you watch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you watch downloaded anime?
Computer, in a window
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Computer, full screen
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
TV (computer video out or standalone VCD/SVCD)
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Watch? You mean there's more to this stuff than just collecting?!?
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

Gorunova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firecaster wrote:

Going a LITTLE off-topic, here (I'm SO sorry)... does anyone know a place where one can get 25" of RCA video cabling (stereo audio+video a bonus) for CHEAP in Canada (or mail/online order from the States)?

Are you up for a little soldering? I think you can get bulk cabling from digikey.com, Active Components, ElectroSonic, A&B Sound and maybe even some Radio Shacks. Then you get the RCA jacks at Radio Shack and put them on the ends of the cable yourself. It's not hard.

Or, if there's a little TV/VCR repair shop in your area, you could ask them to attach the jacks to the cable for you - they'll probably charge you the minimum labor fee, though.
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlienBoy wrote:
For those who don't know, XVCD's are equal in quality to DVD (check www.vcdhelp.com for more info). The resolution on an XVCD is 720x480, but you have to keep the picture size at 660x440 lest a good portion get cutoff on the screen.

FWIW, I respectfully dissagree with the XVCD == DVD quality comparison. I can see where it could get awefully close with bitrates in the 5Mbs range, especially for anime, but I've always preferred MPEG2 artifacts to MPEG1 artifacts, at least at high bitrates (MPEG2 seems to fall apart sometimes).

I do prefer XVCD to SVCD on simple american animation (read: simpsons)... specificly, 352x240@2400kbs is wholey sufficient.
Firecaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:

Are you up for a little soldering? I think you can get bulk cabling from digikey.com, Active Components, ElectroSonic, A&B Sound and maybe even some Radio Shacks. Then you get the RCA jacks at Radio Shack and put them on the ends of the cable yourself. It's not hard.

Never done any soldiering myself, but push comes to shove, I can just bug my brother-in-law to do it (Engineers, phaugh). I didn't think the price difference would be so great, though?

Thanks for the suggestion. ^_^
oblio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firecaster wrote:

I didn't think the price difference would be so great, though?

It depends on the quality of cable you would otherwise purchase. The audioquest interconnects I bought were around 90$US a meter (about four years ago). You can pay more if that is your thing. The bottom line is that things like directional microphone wire (Low EQ) work GREAT for interconnects, and soldering is E-A-S-Y. I used this solution for my speaker wire which lowered the cost from 7$/foot to 3$/foot.

Its worth noting that I have NO idea about current pricing... I built most of my stereo system back in 92.
Highspar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Highspar's deep thoughts>
Eyeing my growing collection of anime, I wonder if I should change my vote from comptuer monitor, to just collecting. A quick glance at my horribly behind list of animes I notice not 1, not 2, but 5 complted tv series (at least 13 eps, or in inu yasha's case 60 now Shocked ) that I haven't even watched one episode of. Me thinks I should either stop dling for a bit, and start watching, or just say "screw it" and keep sucking.

I'll probably keep sucking. Very Happy
</Highspar's deep thoughts>
Gorunova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highspar wrote:

Me thinks I should either stop dling for a bit, and start watching, or just say "screw it" and keep sucking.

I'll probably keep sucking. Very Happy

Yup. I figure one of two things is bound to eventually happen: The anime will dry up due to legal crackdown, or I'll leave my broadband access behind. When that time comes, it'll be nice to have a few complete series yet unwatched.
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be of the latter, where broadband access either becomes too expensive or too limited. The anime thing has hit critical mass, even if companies started aggresively prosecuting subbers, there'll still be "underground" subbers churning out releases...
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
The anime will dry up due to legal crackdown, or I'll leave my broadband access behind.

You read my mind! Between the death-of-Usenet/death-of-unlimited-bandwidth scenarios floating around in my head, I've been downloading more "aggressively" and saving for that rainy day.

-xo
Keikai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% of the time, TV-out on laptop to TV (when friends are over)
50% of the time, full screen on the laptop (when watching alone)

Of course, thats just what I get around to watching, my most accurate answer is the last one since I rarely find the time. Sad Also, that's just the stuff I get from usenet. I also buy and rent DVDs a good bit too.
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, seems like I'm the only one who voted that I only collect anime! I do watch it, on occasion... Okay, reasonably often, but I don't watch anywhere near as much as I download.

As far as cables go, Firecaster, check out Radio Shack. I used to work at Radio Shack in Vancouver (that was hell, I'm happy that I'm no longer working there, it was soooooooo not worth minimum-wage-or-commissions-whichever-is-higher with their crap-ass commissions schedule. Most of the employees there make less than $9/hr), and we definitely had three-cable RCA cables for less than the pricing you seem to be describing. Over here I buy most of my non-essential cables from dollar-stores (two-cable RCA cables for like $2 for 3 feet). Are you looking for 25 inch cables, or 25 *foot* cables? 25 feet's not too hard either.

Hmmm... I'm checking out radioshack.ca right now-- a 24' single-RCA cable costs $13. Product number 15-1539. A triple-cable RCA cable, 12' costs $17 (15-1512). The quality's probably not exactly amazing on either of those cables, but from my experience, you can do a lot worse than Radio Shack cables-- dollar store cables are sooooo much thinner than Radio Shack's cheapest cables.
Firecaster

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you looking for 25 inch cables, or 25 *foot* cables? 25 feet's not too hard either.

That would be 25 foot cables. Did I write 25 inch? Sheesh, my mind must've been blown when I typed that one up.

Quote:
Hmmm... I'm checking out radioshack.ca right now-- a 24' single-RCA cable costs $13. Product number 15-1539. A triple-cable RCA cable, 12' costs $17 (15-1512). The quality's probably not exactly amazing on either of those cables, but from my experience, you can do a lot worse than Radio Shack cables-- dollar store cables are sooooo much thinner than Radio Shack's cheapest cables.

I'm not looking for the most stellar quality (my TV sucks so much that gold-plated cables would be wasted - people, don't buy Daewoo TVs!), so Radio Shack cables will probably do. I haven't had the opportunity to follow up on anyone's suggestions, but this is the easiest (and most convenient) opetion for me. I'll prolly pick up a cable on my way to my first Japanese class tomorrow (woo-hoo!). ^_^

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, one quality note remains that I forgot to mention earlier: ground loops.

If you plug your computer into your TV and you find that the quality sucks ass, disconnect any cables or antennas from your TV. I found that when I started using my stereo system to play audio from my computer (it makes a big difference if you've got a nice stereo system), I found that I'd get a 60 Hz hum going in my speakers. It was very noticeable, louder than the music coming out of my comptuer on occasion!

One day the hum disappeared mysteriously, only to return again a couple days later. I figured out what had happened there-- I'd disconnected the cable line from my VCR to move it to a different room to copy a tape from another VCR, and when I reconnected the VCR in my room (connecting it to the stereo system, as I always have) the hum returned. Solution? Ensure that the ground cable isn't continuous from your computer to your cable line. Since I hardly ever watched broadcast TV, I simply disconnected my cable line. Problem solved-- whenever something was coming on TV that I wanted to watch, I'd reconnect the cable and not listen to computer music at the same time.
Foxdemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wacht anime on my 17'' monitor using Divx player ^_^"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Anime Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum