abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Download limits?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of one advantage to all the cable ISPs imposing download limits: it will create pressure to return to smaller encodes. Smaller files means more episodes per day downloaded. I yearn for a return to 50MB RMs and under-175MB DivXs.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see 116 MB divx files-- 6 eps per disc! Or heck, how about 100MB divx files? 7 eps per disc, and pretty-much half of current filesizes!

I'm not hugely looking forward to any sort of a return to RMs... I mean, they were OK, but recently I watched some old RMs that I encoded a few years ago, and... ummm... Well, for a 50 MB file, I suppose they were OK, especially given their age, but, ummm, they're definitely sub-par now.

I have seen some pretty acceptable-looking 30 MB divx files, though, so maybe super-small files will once again be an option? ...I've also heard that DivX5 will allow better quality in lower bitrates than before, so who knows...
Melchior

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, that last message was me... I guess my browser dropped the cookie for this discussion board while I was on vacation. Oh well...
moodorky

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been downloading Gigs off shaw trying to see at what point they will call me. So far nothing. Perhaps I'm still under the radar at 30-45 Gigs a month?
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moodorky wrote:
I've been downloading Gigs off shaw trying to see at what point they will call me. So far nothing. Perhaps I'm still under the radar at 30-45 Gigs a month?

It'll probably just take them a while to get down the list to you. I had been doing 55GB/month for almost 5 months when they called me.
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the general neighbourhood of 40-50 GB per month for about the last year. Shaw called me based on our house *uploading* too much, though, so who knows...

(note: I run an FTP server, though it has nothing on it-- I only put files on it when friends ask me to, which isn't very often...)
moodorky

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorunova was right. They flat out suspended my account for 24 hours without much warning. I wish I have DSL in my area. They kept using Telus as the comparison since Telus has a 5GB limit (Bullcrap. I know 5 people who download as much as they please for over a year without any comments from the Telus staff).
Well, there goes all my anime download if they enforce the 6GB/month limit. That 2GB upload limit is garbage. 2Gigs is nothing when you're doing online gaming and videoconferencing. What's the use of broadband if the pipe is metered?
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moodorky wrote:
Gorunova was right. They flat out suspended my account for 24 hours without much warning. I wish I have DSL in my area. They kept using Telus as the comparison since Telus has a 5GB limit (Bullcrap. I know 5 people who download as much as they please for over a year without any comments from the Telus staff).

That's a new kind of advertising: "We don't oppress you as much as the competition!" Smile

moodorky wrote:
Well, there goes all my anime download if they enforce the 6GB/month limit. That 2GB upload limit is garbage. 2Gigs is nothing when you're doing online gaming and videoconferencing. What's the use of broadband if the pipe is metered?

Well, assuming you could find a dialup ISP that would let you stay online 24/7 and had a good news server (both very unlikely), and that you didn't mind tying up a phone line, then with a 56K modem you could get

((56000 / 10) * 60 * 60 * 24 * 30) / 2^30 = 13.5 GB per month.

That's 56000 bits per second divided by 8 bits + 2 stop bits to get bytes, times the number of seconds in a month, all divided by the number of bytes in a gigabyte. This doesn't take into account line noise and modem data compression, of course, but they aren't likely to make much difference overall, as long as your phone line is good.

So, in a perfect world the modem deal beats the pants off cable's download cap.

On the other hand, modem net access is slower in terms of actual response time, so you wouldn't want to use it for gaming ot web stuff, and you'd probably pay for a second phone line on top of the ISP costs, and you'll have a hard time finding a dialup ISP with a good news server and a willingness to let you stay connected all the time.

Of course, this just points out that the cable companies are only selling us unlimited connect time and better-than-modem response speed. They never promised us unlimited transfers. Sad
BlueSeptember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: it's only my humble opinion after all... (big posting) Reply with quote

first of all, I would like to mention that this is only my humble 2 cents. and please pardon my poor english, as english is my second language. my humble apology if any of my opinion is off-topics.

I do not understand the reason why Shaw (or other services, respectedly) wanted to put a limit on users. when people applied, they see 'unlimited internet usage', and later they change the policy. BS.

if I met such case, I would definately change my isp without hasitation (though I'm not sure if you have the option). as the size of the data grows up, it's impossible and unfair to limit the usage.

if the one watches a tv channel over the net, it will be counted. the one talks over the net phone, it will be counted. the one listens to the net radio, it will be counted. then what can we do on the net? almost nothing. we'll be forced to move back to the pre-historic time. do their worst, as they won't last long.

I'm in the us, using varizon dsl, paying 49.95 monthly. and I think I'm paying enough for me to use their system - rather paying more than that. I'm originally from Korea, a small country next to japan. and I can have 10mbit access to the internet with less than $20 a month. if I pay $50 a month, I'll have at least 30mbit access to the net. don't tell me my country is richer than the us or canada.

[budget: ]
they often say 'it is for preventing the network abuses'. I'd say it's only an excuse. they simply do not wish to spend some money on expanding the equips and paying for knowledgeable workers. providing better service will drag termendous number of users onto them. no doubt.

[copy-righted materials: ]
yeah, for many reasons, there has been a lot of these. but let's face it.

mp3/movie/anime:
one of the main reason that record companies complain about mp3 is, that they were afraid of losing money. quite sounding. but is it...?
I had conversation with a guy from a recording company. he said 'we shouldn't have had mp3' and my question was why. why shouldn't we have had mp3? so that we don't *preview* music before we buy? so that record companies can make crappy cds with crappy music on them?
I told him, "make cds with music video. then people will buy them. spend more money to create fancy and artistic cd covers. people will buy them. don't expect people to spend their money on what's not worth. make them worthy." don't tell me those companies have never thought about it. they just don't wanna investigate and *collect* money from the customers without doing anything like good-old days.

software:
yeah, one of the hottest issues. I'll shut up for this and replace it with someone's word.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: vladimir
Subject: Piracy, informant programs, and end user license agreements

It is time the end users takes control of their world. This is how it is done:

1) If the Eula is longer than 100 words, it is null and void.
2) If the Eula is not original and uniquely written( as opposed to the many cut and paste PIRATED Eulas), it is null and void.
3) If there are patches, security updates (as a result of poor software creation) the license is null and void.
4) If the software is not squeaky clean upon entering the market place, the license is null and void.
5) If the software does not meet a reasonable controlled price standard, the Eula is null and void.
6) IF the Eula denys responsibility and liability for its creator's actions, it is null and void.
7) If the software is not associated with a well written, plain (English, French, Dutch, etc.), simple, inclusive help file, its Eula is null and void.
Cool If the software creator is dependent upon an Eula, it shall insure and compensate its users of defect in the product. In other words, stand up and be a man~!
9) IF the software issuer cannot fully explain its integrated operative function and provide expeditious, flawless support, the license is null and void.
10) IF the software is not AARP certified, its license is null and void (hehehe).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[others: ]
we must also accept these facts: cd-r/dvd-r and many other equipments are developed due to the internet. if people didn't have access to fast internet, cd-r prices wouldn't be like today because people wouldn't make much use out of them. so are mp3 players. so are pc video cards and captureboards, not to mention NIC, router and other network related products. those isps also benefit from these and there's no doubt at all. if those isp are trying not to use their money, it's like chocking their own necks.

a good sample. there was a isp called "RED" and it went out of business in 2000. why? they thought once they establish the system, the money would *walk* to them. but with driving-me-crazy customer service (I was waiting for 2 hour to talk to a live person) and lousy maintanance, it had to go. like aol - when they merged with time-warner cable, they thought their *reputation* would bring them a fortune. and now their stock value is 1/4 from before the merging. applies won't come to you unless you try.

to conclude, no one can turn back the clock. nor can anyone force me to do so. yeah, napster has failed, but now we have more than 10 clones of similar kinds. will record companies sue them all? I doubt it.

I thank you for reading such a long post and my humble opinioin.
moodorky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I can change my ISP to Telus DSL (they aren't being monitored as of yet) and thanks to some upcoming downsizing of their support staff, I don't think they will have the manpower to micromanage like what Shaw is doing.
Anyhow, does anyone know of a tool to monitor internet usage (it terms of bytes) or if Shaw has such a system? I don't wanna get cut off for a week the next time it happens.
This ssuuuuuuxxxx. I'm downloading only 1 fansub per day nowadays when only 2 weeks ago I was doing about 5-7 :(.
snoopynme

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DU Meter (recommended/passed to me by someone I know)... Small and simple to use: http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/
user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Cable pricing plans? Reply with quote

Caught this off BusinessWeek today... has anyone who's using cable broadband heard from their ISP yet? Or is this old news?

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2002/tc20020612_1108.htm
earthdark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympatico introduced a tiered system to their DSL service recently, I'm not sure on the details though other than that it's 5GB up/down cap for the cheaper service. Rogers has said that it plans to introduce similar plans this summer but nothing specific yet...
Gorunova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable pricing plans? Reply with quote

user wrote:
Caught this off BusinessWeek today... has anyone who's using cable broadband heard from their ISP yet? Or is this old news?

Hmm. That's a darker perspective than I've yet seen. I knew the Canadian cable companies had introduced tiered pricing in Eastern Canada, but so far there's been no word about such plans in Western Canada.

My fear (aside from the obvious one of the prices being too high) is that if tiered pricing does happen here, it'll be tiered by speed rather than download limits. I could care less about the connection speed so long as it's faster than a phone line mode. I don't mind leaving my computer sucking on the pipe all night - I want to download MORE STUFF, not download FASTER.
Melchior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable pricing plans? Reply with quote

Gorunova wrote:
My fear (aside from the obvious one of the prices being too high) is that if tiered pricing does happen here, it'll be tiered by speed rather than download limits. I could care less about the connection speed so long as it's faster than a phone line mode. I don't mind leaving my computer sucking on the pipe all night - I want to download MORE STUFF, not download FASTER.

One other idea that I've heard was to charge by the byte for downloads, but to differentiate pricing by time of day-- eg, if I do my downloading at 2am, I'd expect to be allowed unlimited no-charge downloads from midnight to 6am. Think of this as being a bit like cell-phone plans-- making prime-time usage more expensive and encourage off-peak usage.

I can say one thing for sure: if my ISP were to introduce a pay-by-the-download system without reducing the cost of off-peak usage, I'd do all my downloads between 7 and 9pm, just to try to make the experience as miserable for the ISP as possible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Newsgroups Misc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum