abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

Continuity of "X" titles?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Continuity of "X" titles? Reply with quote

I saw this posted once, but have forgotten the details... how does the continuity of the X universe work? There's the movie, the TV series, something called "X Gakuen" that I don't even know is related, and have come in "TV" and "OAV" labelled forms.

Google searches for "X" are really hard!

-xo
Gorunova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know all the details, but I've seen something called the X OAV, and something called the X movie, and of course the TV series now posting. I think that other thing you mention is just another name for either the movie or the short OAV.

Forget the movie and the OAV - they're just super-condensed versions of the TV series. Little more than disjointed adverts, really.

The TV series totally tells the story in a meaningful way. It's grrrreat! Even at that, it moves really fast - there are so many characters, the story seems to be advancing at breakneck speed all the time.

There's absolutely no way the shorter movie and OAV can capture any of that detail and have it make sense. I would say definitely watch the TV series first, and don't even bother with the others unless you're a completionist.
ensui

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've noticed recently, because of their popularity, CLAMP has been getting a lot of their manga carried over to anime extremely fast--usually prematurely. Usually, their anime version starts and ends before they have a chance to finish their manga, so plot elements and endings can get really screwed up. One example of this "accelerated nature" of their anime can be seen in CCS, where there are 52 Clow cards in the anime, but only 21(?) in the manga.

The X movie (which my friends jokingly call "X, The Traffic Accident") was a very extreme case of that. They hadn't even finished introducing all their characters (much less breaking into the story arc) before the movie was contracted out. As a result, they took an extremely complicated storyline and crammed it into something that boils to the basic premises of essentially "meet all the characters --including some we're not sure of--and now watch them all die!" =) As a result, the movie has nothing to do with the TV series, OAV, and maybe even the manga.

The OAV ("ep 0"; "Yocho" or "Omen"*) was what we in the US would call a "pilot episode" as a preview of what was planned for the TV series. It fits with the TV series, but drops you right in the middle of it somewhere to "whet the appetites" of fans of the manga. It also tells you a little bit about key player Subaru, what happened to his sister, Hokuto, and his relationship with the bastard Sakurazuka... which is covered in Tokyo Babylon (prequel to X).

The TV series follows the manga a lot closer, but --I think-- rearranges the story a bit as an attempt to tell it a bit better, since the manga was a bit chaotic.

Hope that helps. =)

*(Holy cow! Did I just miss another X OAV? I thought there was only one?! Sad Maybe it was just an episode title... "Gakuen" is a type of school... uh, yeah,... which makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the CLAMP Campus... =) ...since CLAMP, on occasion, might have characters from other series make cameos... )
xo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the files I had, I discovered the one called "X Gakuen-01" was the same as "X-O1" (contentwise- they were different encodes). I guess the Gakuen part is either a full or alternative name?

The OAV file also carried "Gakuen" in it's name but also had "Omen", so I'm presuming this is the same as you mentioned.

-xo
BurnHavoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw X The Movie at Anime North. Lots of boo-ing and throwing of food at the end of that movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Melchior

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurnHavoc wrote:
I saw X The Movie at Anime North. Lots of boo-ing and throwing of food at the end of that movie.

Heh, I *paid* to see the damn thing at a movie theater in town. Went with a buddy of mine. Ugh, what a disappointment-- talk about a movie that was rushed! We ended up walking out half an hour early because it was so poor.

... But I've heard only good things about the TV series, so I've been downloading it. Who knows, with the bandwidth limits Shaw's throwing at us, maybe I'll get a chance to watch it!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum