abma.x-maru.org Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile

video problems with GateKeepers 21 ep 1

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ensui

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: video problems with GateKeepers 21 ep 1 Reply with quote

I'm re-asking this question here since I haven't seen a response on the newsgroups themselves. I apologize if this was already answered on the newsgroups just recently... just that I gave it a couple days and i'm not sure if anyone saw it... and I can't really check right now from where I am...

Has anyone noticed video playback problems with that first ep of GateKeepers 21 by Ishin-Digital? I get significant ringing of color (poor color resolution, ie large stepping in the gradients) and major slowdown and skipping in general--especially when I go to fullscreen. I haven't changed anything on my system between this and other Ishin's releases, and its filesize is 200MB--well over what would be needed for decent video quality nowadays.
They say they haven't switched to DivX5, yet, so I'd expect that that isn't the solution to better playback.

My current system specs:
Win98FE on 450 MHz Celeron system with 256MB RAM
WMP 6.4 with DivX 4.12 and DivX 3.11a
It's not spectacular, but I've never needed more for all the other posts... especially Ishin's posts. Lemme know if there might be other factors that might affect it.

If others have the same problem and no one knows of a satisfactory resolution, I might post this question on the Ishin forums.

Thanks!
user

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only watched part of the episode, but I didn't see any video problems (I was using a 1 GHz machine though.) Did you try setting the divx post-processing quality slider to 0? Anything running in the background?

If this were a divx5 encode, I think it won't even play without the divx5 codec installed.
fureimu

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends noticed the exact same thing, and it turned out to be because his Windows was set to 16bpp. I've never encountered a DivX4 encode that would have these problems, but I guess they do exist.

If you're already using 32bpp, then I'm clueless ^_^
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fine on this box also (1G, 1280x1024@32b w/TI500). I keep wondering how much effect the newer high-end video cards can have on playback quality, but I really don't know what DirectX calls the videos/players might make -- something to look into. But I'd think GPU speed alone would have some effect.

(inc)
fureimu

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it really has anything to do with what graphics card you have, as long as it fully supports hardware overlays. I know some Matrox drivers have problems with that at times, but what usually happens then is that mediaplayer switches your resolution instead. Of course, I could be wrong, I haven't really touched DirectShow much.
ensui

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on the money, fureimu! Shocked

after uninstalling and reinstalling both DivX 3.11a and DivX 4.12 multiple times with unsuccessful results, I said "what the hell", and switched my color depth from 16-bit to 32-bit. I couldn't believe that that color depth setting would affect performance like that! I knew about the problem with 256 color index mapping, but I didn't think there was color mapping applied to 16-bit color as well... I could be wrong on that last assumption.

it did the same thing on my 750MHz laptop running Win2k. very strange...

I guess I can't play Ragnarok Online anymore, oh well... (not that I've been playing it much recently. Last patch I applied was 52, and now they're up to, what, 104?! Whoa! Rolling Eyes )

thanks all! Wink
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, a really fast GPU certainly takes the penalty out of running at a 32 bit depth.

(inc)
ensui

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The penalty hit at 16-bit color depth, not 32-bit. Would the faster GPU still help with that? Of course, I'm not sure why there's a penalty with 16-bit, and not with 32-bit...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    abma.x-maru.org Forum Index -> Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum